BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was cruising home Tuesday at about 2300 RPM in my 01 M5 when I heard a rattle from the front of the car. I nursed it home and had it towed to the dealership the next day. My service advisor called today to tell me that the rattle was a rod and I need a new engine. His estimate was $23,000. :crying:

This car has not been tracked, chipped or abused. The oil level was fine (running 5W30). The car has 56K miles, is less than 4 years old and has been serviced per BMW recommendations at the dealership. There is no way that, under these circumstances, a $70K car should need an engine replacement at 56K miles. :mad:

I'll be calling BMW Customer Service about this. I have the cash to pay for the repair. I'm also #2 on my dealers M6 list -- but right now an Audi is sounding pretty good. Should I have the work done and battle with BMWNA afterwards for reimbursement?

If you have any suggestions for dealing with BMWNA on the repairs, please send me a PM or post here.

Thanks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would suggest battle with BMWNA first - get yourself a rental car if you need to.

Threat BMWNA of going to BMW HQ - if they do not co-operate etc... additionally, mention this and other forums as well...

But start by testing the waters first - they may just agree to picking up the cost of repairs, especially as you have placed a deposit on an M6...

It sucks though!!

·
Banned
300 Posts
From what I have researched NEVER use 5W30 on the E46 M3 or E39 M5 it will fry your engine due to its low viscosity.....stick with high performance oil in the 10W60 - 20W50 viscosity range....BMWNA should cover the repairs with a good service history...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Jim,

Bummer about your engine woes. Certainly sounds to me like this should not have happened. As much as it will suck, and hopefully you'll get lucky, I get resolution from NA first. Who knows what kind of back room horse trading is possible between the mother ship and it's dealers. Even if NA does not cover all of it, the price from the dealer to you may be way differerent than the price from NA through the dealer to you. Also, by lobbying NA of you have two potential sources of good will (assuming the dealer is where you purchased and/or serviced your car. Plus, without your car you place yourself in a potentially more sympathetic position.

M brand manager Hernando Carvajal is a pretty good guy. You might try writing a letter to the local NA rep and cc Hernando as well. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Edit: I know you know this, but don't go into it as a "battle". It may be, but you now what they say about flies and honey. ;-)

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
marcvip said:
From what I have researched NEVER use 5W30 on the E46 M3 or E39 M5 it will fry your engine due to its low viscosity.....stick with high performance oil in the 10W60 - 20W50 viscosity range....
It's been a never ending debate about viscosity. :confused2

B

·
0 Posts
Very sorry to hear this. An engine should certainly not need to be replaced this soon. I believe other M5 owners have managed to get BMW to cover the cost (all or partial) of a new engine. I would recommend searching this board's archives.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Your dealer is always the first line of defense. They'll need to support your position and back it up financially with a goodwill contribution. I have an out of warranty situation that totals similar amounts of money, astronomical amounts for an engine repair, really. The factory, my dealer and I are all chipping in to get it done in a way that meets everyone's needs. My dealer is the best, period, but what I really had going for me is the type of customer that I am perceived to be.

I've given my dealer many $$ in discretionary service-related billings. I'm a firm believer in going through the "front door." If I hadn't been a loyal and profitable customer to them, how could I have expected them to be loyal to me? So, the moral is, get your dealer involved and meet with the factory customer service/satisfaction rep. He/she will evaluate your case, examine your service records and consult with your service manager. Make your case intelligently and forcefully, but with hat in hand also. Anything they do for you will be because you're a customer they want to retain. If they believe that to be the case you're halfway there. Good luck!

PM me if you need my phone number.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Sorry to hear this! You should at least try to get BMWNA cover the parts cost for the repair if not more. If you have a good service history with the dealer this should not be a problem regardless of warranty. No car should need a replacement this soon. good luck!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Yikes....is this car under the 100K warranty?

·
Registered
439 Posts
greco had an m5 motor and tranny forsale on the roadfly board, not sure if he sold it. he was asking12k.
you could just get the short block rebuilt if the block didnt get any damage.

ray

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
BKH said:
JFB - there have been a few like cases chronicled on this board. Using 5W-30 could have been a contributing factor...
Guys, let's not confuse the situation with discussion of contributing factors. The fact is, Jim was using the factory nameplate recommended oil in the motor. We may have enthusiasts' debates about which is "better" but the guy was doing things exactly by the book.

Jim, I agree with what others have said, here and in other posts, be polite but firm, don't view it as a battle, but be persistent in your knowledge that a thrown rod merely months out of warranty coverage without operator abuse merits some significant consideration from BMWNA.

As has been discussed in other threads, BMWNA can pull memory from the DME and determine without equivocation that your motor was not abused in any way. Let them know that you know that, and that you want to see what they're able to pull.

Good luck. While it's on a much smaller (fractional) scale, I did get BMWNA to step up and contribute the parts on a goodwill replacement of my instrument cluster at 78K miles. So have hope, and do let us know what you learn.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Teutonaddict said:
Guys, let's not confuse the situation with discussion of contributing factors. The fact is, Jim was using the factory nameplate recommended oil in the motor. We may have enthusiasts' debates about which is "better" but the guy was doing things exactly by the book.
That was my point exactly, that the factory suggested that it was safer to use the 10W-60. That's an arguement FOR the customer.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Teutonaddict said:
While it's on a much smaller (fractional) scale, I did get BMWNA to step up and contribute the parts on a goodwill replacement of my instrument cluster at 78K miles. So have hope, and do let us know what you learn.

-Dave
yes, and I got a $600 repair covered under goodwill, and this seems like a goodwill situation due to no abuse and just out of warrantee.

JFB, my advice is to work with your dealer, and escalate it to BMWNA, but leave your dealer with a face saving way out to pay for the repair. If I were in your shoes, I think my dealer would start out by offering to pay %50 of the repair.

This is something that could happen to me. Very scary.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
bummer, if you can get the dealer to back you to go to bmwna then great but i dont see how if you didn't get the 100k extended warrenty, not much to stand on sadly.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The probabilty of the dealer or a combination of the dealer and factory, paying totally for the repair is nil. Every dealer has a goodwill setaside, but it has to be spread around a number of customers over the course of the year. Ditto for the factory.

·
Registered
511 Posts
ray540inyc said:
greco had an m5 motor and tranny forsale on the roadfly board, not sure if he sold it. he was asking12k.
you could just get the short block rebuilt if the block didnt get any damage.

ray
I can check with my buddy to see if its still available if you like. It was off a 01 M5 w/ 48K Kms. Complete wiring harness as well. Only thing missing is the plenum cover.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I'll add my condolences; I'm really sorry to hear this. Hopefully BMWNA will come through with a compromise. It seems that sometimes you have to be the "squeaky wheel" to get things done; if done in a polite, professional manner, success is more likely.

Like others, I've researched the oil viscosity thing to death. If you have used the factory recommended oil you should be in good shape.

Keep us posted, good luck!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts