BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just looking at my car this morning and noticed that the rear Star is going in a different direction to the fronts.

Can anyone show me a picture of which way they should go?

:M5launch:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Re: Turbine Wheels

BURTON said:
I was just looking at my car this morning and noticed that the rear turbine is going in a different direction to the fronts.

Can anyone show me a picture of which way they should go?
I think your wheels are throwing stars - They're supposed to draw air in, towards the brakes - so they should be fluted that way.

Both covers on the same side should face the same direction, so you should have two pairs of covers which are the same.

These ones are on the correct way round.

http://home.kc.rr.com/brainstorm/M5(E34).jpg

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Arse ment Throwing stars! Why did I say Turbines.. Talk about too much sun..

Thanks Andy for that... I think my fronts are wrong then!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

AndyE said:
I think your wheels are throwing stars - They're supposed to draw air in, towards the brakes - so they should be fluted that way.

Both covers on the same side should face the same direction, so you should have two pairs of covers which are the same.

These ones are on the correct way round.

http://home.kc.rr.com/brainstorm/M5(E34).jpg
Uh em....
Actually, I think the ones in the picture are the WRONG way round....
If you look at the pic, you notice that the longer,pointed end of the "star" is pointing "backwards" i.e. against rotation. I thought that the longer point should be directed the same way the wheel rotates? :confused2

:cheers:
Sakke

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

What have I started!!! hehe

·
Registered
116 Posts

DrSakke said:
Uh em....
Actually, I think the ones in the picture are the WRONG way round....
If you look at the pic, you notice that the longer,pointed end of the "star" is pointing "backwards" i.e. against rotation. I thought that the longer point should be directed the same way the wheel rotates? :confused2

:cheers:
Sakke
I agree, mine are the other way round with the longer point in the same directon as the wheel rotates. You can see pictures in you click "view my car"

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

Ghost said:
I agree, mine are the other way round with the longer point in the same directon as the wheel rotates. You can see pictures in you click "view my car"
Congratulations for your 100th post!!!!! :happybirt

:1:
Sakke

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IS there a pic like that for the throwing stars?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great thanks for that... Looks like I have some work to do when I get home.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BURTON said:
Great thanks for that... Looks like I have some work to do when I get home.
Looks like my Backs are wrong.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's why YOU DO NOT just hand the keys over to the spotty faced apprentice at Kwik-fit (I know but hey, they had a buy-one-get-two offer).

With the added complication of directional tires, it took three goes to get it right last time. Even the manager was bamboozled.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I may swap over the covers... hehe..

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
So is the upshot of this that the stars should lead with their sharp edge (long point in direction of travel) or with their blunt edge? Mine too are odd, i think the rears are wrong, but as I'm due a full set of tyres, I'd like to make sure I get them right!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts