BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made an observation this weekend on my car and want to bounce off the brain trust here on the M5 board. I took off the air intake plenum off for some maintenance work so can see the throttle bodies from inside the car. I then wanted to see how much the throttle bodies open relative to pressing the gas pedal. What I observed is that even not in sport mode, the throttle bodies open up very quickly relative to pushing the gas pedal. Specifically, at approximately 1/3 of my gas pedal travel they look to be approximately fully opened. Not a precise measurement, I know, but I don't see any actual movement of the throttle bodies at any position above half throttle. In Sport mode they open even earlier. This is does with the car off and key in the "run" position, and I don't have any codes/ issues with throttle control. However, this just doesn't make sense to me because wouldn't you want the throttle bodies open proportionally to the pedal for best control, so that if you move the pedal from lets say 75% throttle to 100% throttle, the throttle bodies move proportionally. I don't believe that my car has any tunes on it, but I am a bit puzzled.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
It is not going to make sense to you so don't think about it. LOL
Basically the idle control valve supplies lesser volumes of air to the motor. Sitting in your garage looking through the plenum and playing with the throttle all count as low air. So if you really want to see how it works you need to be under load. Pull the hood and the plenum top and watch them while out driving or rather while someone else drives, you with your head out the sunroof. Then they behave just as you would expect.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sailor. I would be curious to see the throttles move under normal driving conditions, but not curious enough to do what you suggest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts