BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this on an E39 M5? If so, do you feel it was beneficial?

For those unfamiliar, the throttle pedal was updated sometime around '01-02 for the non-M E39 and other BMW models, but the M5 only used the older design. (Correct me if I'm wrong on the changeover point and if anyone has an '03 feel free to confirm if it has the older version)

Old design = pedal and sensor are separate and connected by a linkage, sensor lives up under the dash.
New design = pedal and sensor are all combined in one unit on the floor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Never heard of this and it seems like a waist of time it was obviously not updated on the M5 for a reason probably because it’s not an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Has anyone done this on an E39 M5? If so, do you feel it was beneficial?

For those unfamiliar, the throttle pedal was updated sometime around '01-02 for the non-M E39 and other BMW models, but the M5 only used the older design. (Correct me if I'm wrong on the changeover point and if anyone has an '03 feel free to confirm if it has the older version)

Old design = pedal and sensor are separate and connected by a linkage, sensor lives up under the dash.
New design = pedal and sensor are all combined in one unit on the floor.
What’s the benefit to this modification/change?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never heard of this and it seems like a waist of time it was obviously not updated on the M5 for a reason probably because it’s not an upgrade.

If it wasn't an upgrade, why would BMW release it for production in the first place? I'm looking for feedback from people that have actually done this on an E39 M5 (if any), not assumptions from people who haven't.

What’s the benefit to this modification/change?

In the thread it's mentioned as being more responsive and smoother.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If this did happen in 2001, is it possible this is due to the facelifting of the E39's including new engines and I think newer DME setups? Did the M52 pre-facelift cars use MS43? Did the 01-03's use MS45?

Just throwing out guesses here, its certainly something worth looking into I think, more throttle control is always appreciated.

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
I have never seen this mod, but it makes a ton of sense, if for no other reason than ease of sensor replacement. Anyone who has had to replace the under dash sensor knows how long it takes and what a PITA it is. It also makes sense that the response would be a big quicker because of the lack of a linkage between pedal and sensor. The pedal/sensor combo is used on the E46 M3 and so responsive, it frequently is retained even in all out racecar builds. Ask me how I know!

--Peter

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does look like a pain to get the sensor out and if you're in there, maybe switching to the newer setup isn't such a bad idea. I also agree about the E46 M3. Easily one of the best electronic throttle setups I've felt.

If this did happen in 2001, is it possible this is due to the facelifting of the E39's including new engines and I think newer DME setups? Did the M52 pre-facelift cars use MS43? Did the 01-03's use MS45?

Just throwing out guesses here, its certainly something worth looking into I think, more throttle control is always appreciated.
If you are strictly referring to non-M E39s I think you may be right (MS43 & 45 are the DMEs, I assume? MSS52 on the M5). I think the pedal update was done on post 01 non-M E39s.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you are strictly referring to non-M E39s I think you may be right (MS43 & 45 are the DMEs, I assume? MSS52 on the M5). I think the pedal update was done on post 01 non-M E39s.
Yep! We're on the same page here. I haven't looked that close into the non M E39's but I know at least on the E46's when they facelifted the cars, they got new engines and new Bosch EFI systems.

I'll have to run this by my dealer tech friend who has a e39 m5 and multiple e46's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts