BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. After 3600 miles my m5 is home!

There are a few little things that need tidying up.

The P.O. did some strange stuff with the throttle linkage cables. They seem to be about 1.5" too long. Since I have my own machine shop I can just make some bushings to fix it up but I was hoping I could see how it is SUPPOSED to be setup. Does anyone have pictures? I looked on realoem and what they have is not similar.

Also the car seems to let in alot of heat through the transmission tunnel area. I have not had time to check under the car for exhaust insulation, just wondering if anyone else has this issue. Its especially prevalent when the windows, or sunroof is open since it drafts air out of the transmission tunnel.

Thanks!

-Jason Miller

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hiya Jason

Cant really help you out with the throttle linkage cables off the top of my head but have found a link to a photo from my car

http://www.m5board.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=16010&cat=all&ppuser=32923

My transmission tunnel gets very hot, it always has done since i first got the car, especially around the gearstick area, i sometimes have to drive with the windows open as the air conditioning isnt very good.

All the best Andy

·
10,456 Posts
andy's car pictured above is a 3.8 so it may look a bit different from a US 3.6. I can get a picture of mine later this weekend of the throttle cables if you'd like.

As to the heat from the tunnel, i do not have this problem, but there is a rubber seal that goes around the gear stick and seals to the trans tunnel. On my car, it had deteriorated, and i replaced it, which made a difference in the noise and heat coming up from the area.
Mike

·
Registered
526 Posts
No heat from my drivetrain tunnel. Must be a damaged or missing seal, grommet etc. on your car

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A 3.6 with cruise control linkage pictures would be lovely.

As far as the tunnell, it will stay cold as long as the cabin has positive pressure. As soon as the windows are cracked it drafts heat up. The same thing happens on my fiat! :) I'll investigate more. Its hot in Texas so this might be one of the first things I do!

·
Registered
186 Posts
What a stunningly maintained under bonnet !

AfricaOffroad, are you now going to try to convince us that this car is actually driven on the road !

My gosh, I've eaten my lunch in places more doubtful than that engine bay !

Reg.

Reactions: AfricaOffroad

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
lol! e34_nut, I guess I should be proud to say my engine bay is even more spotless even after putting 4000 miles on the car in 6 days! Can't take credit for it though, previous owner did a good job of cleaning it up!

Americaoffroad, I've spotted a problem, the cables are swapped for cruise and pedal. I don't see any other differences. I will try to switch them tonight after work.. but I get off at 2am. Anyway, you should get a non-brown coolant tank. It makes all the difference under the hood!

Thanks!!
-Jason Miller

·
Registered
526 Posts
Americaoffroad, I've spotted a problem, the cables are swapped for cruise and pedal. I don't see any other differences. I will try to switch them tonight after work.. but I get off at 2am. Anyway, you should get a non-brown coolant tank. It makes all the difference under the hood!

Thanks!!
-Jason Miller
You are one continent off, Jason:7:

You are right, that brown coolant bottle bugs me every time I look into the engine bay.

Its definitely on my to-do-list,:cool2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gah. I swapped the cables around but as I suspected they're still too long by about 1.5" I was going to make some bushings but I decided to just cut the cables and re-crimp the ends on shorter. Just waiting for new crimpers to arrive later this week, along with a new micronair filter. I can't wait to have more air :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Can you post some pics of your problem.

It just seems strange that both cables are too long. I cant understand why it would be necessary to shorten both OEM cables?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its probably likely that these cables are the wrong ones. They are brand new however and I don't feel like buying new ones and whatnot...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
woo! I was able to fix the cables this morning...

after I fixed the CC but before I fixed throttle:

a little cutting:

then a little drilling in the mill.. apparently the ends aren't hollow as I suspected.. no matter:

time to crimp!:

finished!:

nice engine bay!
a little dirtier than last week, pollen is out...

now its fixed up! good as new. and a get myself a new tool (hex crimpers) for the same price as the right length new cables.

now if I can just figure out how to get that clip off the glove box so I can put in my new micronair filter... grrr!

-Jason Miller

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
woo! air filter replaced. summer will be much more pleasant now!

what else needs to be fixed..

oh yeah, those turn signal indicators that seem to not work..

·
10,456 Posts
something doesnt seem right to me. Shouldn't that yellowish/whitish thing on the throttle cable be on the other side of the bracket /bushing?

I replaced my throttle cable over the winter, need to take a look at mine. Perhaps yours was not installed correctly in the first place?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update:

1. throttle cables still working wonderfully.

2. Transmission tunnel heat was coming from a torn shifter boot.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Curious if you could better explain how you got the clip off the glovebox? I have tried on two occasions, to no prevail. I was not in the mood to break anything so I set the filter in the garage for another day. You have inspired me!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts