BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
We see our cars are reporting increasingly on faulty throttle actuators so I decided to make this thread to understand the codes the car may gives and find solutions. Of course with your help, it will be greatly appreciated.

If your car goes in limp mode during driving or at starting the car, you need to scan which codes it gives.

Threads related:
- http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/125852-reduced-power-dsc-dbc-start-assistant-failure.html
- http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/199962-2005-m5-dsc-message-limp-home-mode-sometimes.html
- http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/202395-joined-engine-malfunction-club-today.html
- http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/203853-increased-emissions-dsc-malfunction-check-engine.html

Codes related with throttle actuators:

Note 1: LHD Bank 1 is passenger side / Bank 2 is driver side
Note 2: RHD Bank 1 is driver side / Bank 2 is passenger side

2B21 : Throttle Valve Actuator Pre-Drive Check Bank 1 solution reported: New Throttle Actuator (part # 13627834494)
2B15 : Throttle Valve Actuator Control Monitor Bank 1 solution reported: New Throttle Sensor or New Throttle Actuator?
2B16 : Throttle Valve Actuator Control Monitor Bank 2 solution reported: New Throttle Sensor or New Throttle Actuator?
27A1 : Throttle Valve cable-check Bank 1 (LHD: Passenger side) solution reported: Throttle Sensor needs to replace (part #13627841705)
27A2 : Throttle Valve cable-check Bank 2 (LHD: Driver side) solution reported: Throttle Sensor needs to replace (part #13627841705)
2B15 : Throttle valve actuator, governor monitoring, bank 1 solution reported: unknown not reported.
CD8B : Bus off idling speed control valve /SMG CAN solution reported: New steering angle sensor?
2B0E : Idling speed control valve monitor bank 2

Code pack:
2B0E: idle actuator, monitoring bank 2
2B0D: idle actuator, monitoring bank 1
2B23: idle actuator, governor monitoring, bank 1
2B24: idle actuator, governor monitoring, bank 2
solution: Software upgraded.

Other codes reported: U1136, P0308.

Parts:

Throttle Actuator: 13627834494
Throttle Sensor: 13627841705
Idle Control Device: 13417834495

·
Registered
823 Posts
I constantly get the following code prompting limp mode:

CD8B Bus off idling speed control valve /SMG CAN

I've already had both Idle Actuator and Throttle Actuator replaced on Bank 2. I also had my steering angle sensor replaced just a couple weeks ago, yet I am still getting this code and limp mode..

Does anyone have solid information about what triggers this code? I keep telling the dealer its likely the Bank 1 Idle Actuator, but they tested it with results indicating a healthy unit :confused: I feel like heat is the culprit considering I only get limp mode at high RPM.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I constantly get the following code prompting limp mode:

CD8B Bus off idling speed control valve /SMG CAN

I've already had both Idle Actuator and Throttle Actuator replaced on Bank 2. I also had my steering angle sensor replaced just a couple weeks ago, yet I am still getting this code and limp mode..

Does anyone have solid information about what triggers this code? I keep telling the dealer its likely the Bank 1 Idle Actuator, but they tested it with results indicating a healthy unit :confused: I feel like heat is the culprit considering I only get limp mode at high RPM.
Have you checked the MAFs? Fuel pump?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Have you checked the MAFs? Fuel pump?
Not directly. I assumed that I would get a lean or injector pressure fault if it was the fuel filter or pump. It's going back to the dealer in the morning. I will mention both of these concerns.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Be great to hear what your Dealer says.

As we all are becoming aware the dealers often know less than we do. Great that this thread has started, now we just need some input from members who have recovered from this limp mode, and what it took to achieve. I have replaced both throttle actuators and still have limp mode. MAFs on their way.
Worst thing appears to be that this DSC limp mode doesnt seem to throw a particular code at all, just a scattering of randoms.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Issue for error 27A2 has been officially fixed:

27A2 : Throttle Valve cable-check Bank 2 (LHD: Driver side) solution reported: Throttle Sensor Bank 1 needs to replace. Part costs $126 plus DIY (under 1 hour).

If you have 27A1 that is Bank 1 and same part.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great news Miguex.
My DSC error days are over too, so Im officially fixed from that one.

Cause - Idle actuator Bank 1 failed.
Car never threw any decent codes infact a useless U1136 generic random about telltales missing.
However Autoenguinity test showed no response from Idle actuator bank 1

Cost approx $500 plus 2 beers and 2 hours of my time.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great news Miguex.
My DSC error days are over too, so Im officially fixed from that one.

Cause - Idle actuator Bank 1 failed.
Car never threw any decent codes infact a useless U1136 generic random about telltales missing.
However Autoenguinity test showed no response from Idle actuator bank 1

Cost approx $500 plus 2 beers and 2 hours of my time.
Please can you specific the BMW error code and the BMW part # so I will update the OP.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any idea what would cause 27A8?
27A8: SG Internal Monitor Level 2? not sure what it means. it sounds something related with the battery....

·
Registered
559 Posts
i am having the following code :

bus off idling speed controle valve / smg can

what does that mean ?!!!

·
Registered
823 Posts
i am having the following code :

bus off idling speed controle valve / smg can

what does that mean ?!!!
I had that same generic code. One of my idle actuators needed to be replaced. Don't confuse idle actuators with throttle actuators, they are different parts.

-TZ

·
Registered
42 Posts
2B15 error came up on INPA, cleared it but it came back.
Swapped Throttle actuators around
2B16 error appeared, 2B15 no longer active
Bought a used throttle actuator from somebody here on the forums (who probably blew up his underblock) for $400
Installed, cleared error memory and all was good.

No recoding needed. Recoding means 'deletion of stored adaptations' for actuators anyway.
Also, It doesn't matter if your actuator seems to 'drag' when you move it when it's not connected. The problem apparently lies in the electrical module.
As installation I can only give two extra pieces of advice: make sure you remove the connectors on the back of the air collector (remove the cover panel above the tower braces, along with the cabin filters) and when you have everything loose you can put a wrench between the two throttle bodies assemblies which acts as a support for the engine harness. This gives you plenty of room to remove the actuators.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Been trying to fix a 27A2 plus limp mode for a while. A new Hall sensor was the stated cause in the OP but nil fix in my case. Swapped left and right throttle actuators and fault became 27A1. Also, during function check with diagnostics I saw the left bank stop responding to accelerator pedal after swap and right bank operating correctly. I think this proves that the 27A1 and 27A2 codes are for the actuator not the Hall sensor?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts