BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit of cheating but I'm off to get an alignment and need a solution. I took that car for a drive last night and got several runs through limp mode. The power was off and the codes are for the bank 2 TA. First off is this a one and done or may the car recover? Second what is the best source, I know there is a guy on here that rebuilds them but I may not want to wait. FYI I replaced the gears not long ago with no problems until now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is a bit of cheating but I'm off to get an alignment and need a solution. I took that car for a drive last night and got several runs through limp mode. The power was off and the codes are for the bank 2 TA. First off is this a one and done or may the car recover? Second what is the best source, I know there is a guy on here that rebuilds them but I may not want to wait. FYI I replaced the gears not long ago with no problems until now.
That last sentence there concerns me. I just bought a gear set to swap out on mine. They're currently trouble free but I wanted to do it preventatively. Sounds like that really doesn't even matter then? I don't get that. Its my impression the generally accepted conclusion is that worn gears put all the strain on the electronics, which eventually burn out, at which point the TA is beyond repair. But in your case, it had fresh gears. So if this isn't what's causing the failure, what the heck is? Is there actually even any way to prolong them at all?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pin came loose and was blocking the gear from moving. I put some extra epoxy on the gear/pin and I'm waiting for it to dry.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Big relief, sounds like a Spanish dancer, did I say I miss Spain, can't wait till this quarantine to be over and allowed to travel for the next visit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts