BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am wondering if anyone from a colder climate would be willing to evaluate their 4.8's performance in winter conditions. I very rarely have to deal with accumulated snow on the highways (at least not more than an inch or so and that is during a storm); nevertheless, during especially cold winters, there can be residual slick spots here and there that can linger for days. How would you rate the xDrive in these conditions?

Also, can anyone confirm that a BMW receiver hitch can be added to a 4.8? I need to pull my boat twice each year.

I am considering purchasing a 4.8 (obviously). Thanks. :M5thumbs:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Where you live, if you don't put snow tires on it- you'll go no where fast when it snows. I have a friend with a Cayenne and this was his problem- he couldnt believe how bad it was with the stock tires. IMHO, get a dedicated set of snow rims+tires. It will not be quite as good in the dry, but it will reward you by driving very well in the snow. The stock tires on the 4.8 are summer tires. Even 1/4" of snow will fill them up and turn them into slicks.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Jerry's right - you need winter tyres.

You could pm to JohnH, he's got a new X5 4.8 as well.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
guaranteed, any amount of snow on the ground would prove to be too much.. the diamaris tires are very aggressive summer tires and their performance on snow or god forbid ice would be a recepie for disaster.

alex
few cars

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I have the 19" wheels/summer tires on my 4.4 and with the couple of inches of snow we had on Sunday, driving was a little tense at times. I can only imagine how much worse things will be with a decent amount of snow and those meaty 20 inchers on the 4.8 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Well the winter rims are at the dealership but the rubber is in short supply so not sure if my 4.8 will get snow tires for rest of this winter. We were blessed with about 10 inches of snow on the weekend, and although the 4.8 was not totally crippled, it is not the type of driving that is any fun at all. So unless the roads are snow free the 4.8 stays in the garage until the winter footwear can be arranged.

Regards,
T.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Today we just got 1 " of snow....too early to tell, i bought 4 snows and wheels... the 4.8is is useless with stock tires i n the snow...I bought 18" Blizzaks...

The best hitch is the BMW hitch, i looked at u-haul they suck...hang low and are VERY ugly...so i went with the BMW hitch I got a deal from my dealer, the service guy is a friend....almost 900.00, strong and looks good

1 - 9 of 9 Posts