BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this car locally, being offered by a local dealer/repair shop:

http://auto-europe-sales.ebizautos.com/webdetail.aspx?iid=2632131

I think the price is a little high. Looked at the car in person, seems pretty clean. I was curious though - it has clear front turn signals and orange rears. Was this factory for the M5? My 90 535i was orange all the way around.

Thanks

Derek A.
90 535i 5sp

·
10,456 Posts
no, orange front and rear was OE for all US spec M5's. Fronts are cheap, rears are more expensive. Looks nice, early production car with the bucket rear seats. Price seems pretty good to me, given what it looks like in pictures.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Seems reasonable to me, but mileage is a little high. If you are going to buy have it checked throughly, repairs can be expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seemed odd that if someone was going to do clears, they would do them all the way around. I need to get a closer look and see if there was any bodywork done on the car. I think they have had it for a while as the pictures were all taken in the fall.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It seemed odd that if someone was going to do clears, they would do them all the way around. I need to get a closer look and see if there was any bodywork done on the car. I think they have had it for a while as the pictures were all taken in the fall.
Derek, looks as though the trunk lid has been painted as the spacing of M5 lettering is wrong. I don't know if it is just the picture but the M looks like it might be from an e39 model. Would look better with original alloys i.m.o.

Cheers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have style 5 17" wheels on my 535i that I would transfer to the M5. When I looked at the car, it appeared that the grille piece had also been painted. I need to get a look under hood to confirm if anything significant has been replaced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What is up with the calipers? Are they powder coated or just painted gold? They look good. How is the transmission, engine and suspension on the car? They are the most expensive bits to repair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Some comments from the selling dealer noted below. Kind of thinking that asking price is high for a car that has been in an accident and is potentially looking at a go through on the trans.

Can you give me some detail on the M5:<o></o>
<o></o>
1. I see that you guys have had it in inventory for a while - can you give me some details on its history?<o></o>
2. Is it an original <st1><st1:state w:st="on">Michigan</st1:state></st1> Car?<o></o>
Originally a <st1><st1:state w:st="on">Florida</st1:state></st1>lace> car. Sold to <st1:state w:st="on"><st1>Michigan</st1></st1:state> in 3/00 at somewhere near 110,000 miles. We have known the last 2 owners.<o></o>
3. Do you have comprehensive service records for the car?<o></o>
Who has serviced the car<o></o>
We have service the car since 02 and have records to support all repairs since that time.<o></o>
Clutch Status ?<o></o>
Clutch engages well and is not slipping – but we have not replaced it. <o></o>
Has the trans been touched?<o></o>
Not to my knowledge<o></o>
Has the cylinder head been off the car?<o></o>
<o></o>
Cleaned cylinder head, cam housings, V/C, cams, followers, sprockets, exhaust manifolds, timing chain cover, air injection pump, radiator coolant tubing. Installed 10 new exhaust manifold studs and nuts. Removed and cleaned all aluminum coolant flange connections. Replaced timing cover seal, front camshaft seal, installed new front crank pulley drive hub and ignition rotor drive shaft. Removed and cleaned all six throttle bodies. Replaced all coolant hoses and clamps. Cleaned fuel injectors and installed all new seal rings. Replaced power brake vacuum supply hoses between the intake and check valve. Installed new ignition pulse sensor on #6 plug wire (was broken). Installed new head gasket, new bolts, cleaned block deck and inspected for cracks. Installed new cam housing. Performed valve adjustment. Installed all new drive belts. Performed oil change with new filter. Removed and replaced water pump. Replaced air filter element and reset S.I display.<o></o>
<o></o>
4. Has the car been in an accident? It looks like it has had some paintwork done to it<o></o>
Car was in a minor rear end impact requiring the repair and/or replacement of some components. Work was done at Autometric Collision.<o></o>
5. Do you have the original wheels/tires?<o></o>
Original Wheels, no tires mounted<o></o>
6. What is the policy on having a pre-purchase inspection carried out?<o></o>
For a charge we can have the car delivered to a technician of your choice to carry out any inspection you see fit. We would of course ask (but not require) for any resultant technical data to keep as a courtesy with the car’s records.<o></o>

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I think the reply from the dealer seems fairly open and honest. Although the answers he's provided prompt more questions - is he offering a warranty on the work done? did they balance the throttles and set up the CO properly? what was the valve clearance measurements ? - you know...that sort of stuff.
I think you should take it for a test drive and see how well it runs and take the oppertunity to have an independant look it over. Check out JRobbo's engine rebuild article for some pointer's - http://www.bmwe34m5.com/node/233

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a chance to look at the car and drive it today.
1. Car seems to drive ok. Check engine light was on at idle, went out once we were under way. Got some trans whine in third gear, trans shifted of. Car had good power.
2. Looks like car has been repainted, am seeing paint peeling from the windshield trim and the lower doors. There is a big dent in the drivers door. Big scratch on the drivers side rocker. Good shine to the paint, a few swirl marks.
3. Engine compartment was pretty dirty. Lots of cosmoline stains.
4. My 535i has 225,000 on it and the interior is not as worn as the interior was in this car. Rear parcel shelf was coming apart, headliner looked to be ok.

The difference between the M5 and my 535i seemed pretty minimal on 50mph roads. I am not interested in drag racing - but maybe an M car is not the direction I should be looking into right now.

They are a consignment seller, pretty stuck on $13,000. I don't think its worth anywhere near that much and would need to have it inspected before I render an offer.

·
10,456 Posts
sounds like the car is pretty beat up. Probabaly worth <10k, imho.

AT 50mph, you should definately feel an acceleration difference between the m5 and 535 but then again, with a check engine light on, somthing is wrong with that car.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
sounds like the car is pretty beat up. Probabaly worth <10k, imho.

AT 50mph, you should definately feel an acceleration difference between the m5 and 535 but then again, with a check engine light on, somthing is wrong with that car.

Good advice here.

I had a chipped 535i...chip made a huge difference to the car but even at that it was no comparison to my M5 at 50km/h.

The car has issues.....this in itself does not make it unbuyable but with other, more viable options, may not be worth the hassle.

Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts