BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This M5 is located close to me in Sacramento, CA. The guy is asking $6k for the car as is. 135k miles. I haven't looked at the car in person yet. Don't know if he is on this board or not.

My questions is: At $6k + repairs (he thinks $3k, I am thinking more without even seeing it), you're at $9k - $10k (ish). I am a decent mechanic and certain that I can do almost all of the work. Is this worth the trouble or just keep shopping for a clean title car and a better provenance?

Here is the car:
M5 e39

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Not worth it. You can buy clean title 135k cars for that money. Even if they need work, at least they have a clean title. A salvage title is all kinds of bad.

Especially with damage to the front.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Here's a great car for you, even if I say so myself. :rofl:

Reactions: AGM5

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I wouldn't do it, bud. I don't think a salvage title is an awful thing on its own. You can get great deals on them with little wrong.

That will cost more than 3K to repair, I can promise you. If you have to paint a hood that will cost you $1k right there.

Keep looking.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Run away! At 6K plus probably, $5K or more for the repairs, you can pick up a good example for a little bit more or a great example from GBPackerfan1963.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I really guess I knew that. I do love a project and I can easily talk myself into such things. I really don't want to spend more than 20k, but if I can get in at a lower price point with some work, that would be ok. My achilles heel is body work though. I'm just not set up for it.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had a 530I (2002) get rear ended. The damage looked way less then that and was around 6k to repair.
I would run away from that car and not look back unless you were using it for parts.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Yeah that car is stuck in limbo pricing. It maybe could be parted out for close to $5-6K if the motor/gearbox & drive train are OK. But paying $6K then all the work and paint work costs you can pick up a decent running E39 M5 for around $10K-ish with those miles.

Make a lowball offer and see what happens, maybe you can snag it for $4K. If the front horns are bent it maybe very hard to straighten it all out.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I had a 530I (2002) get rear ended. The damage looked way less then that and was around 6k to repair.
I would run away from that car and not look back unless you were using it for parts.
Yup my 540i got barely hit on the rear (I still drove the car after the accident) and it was quoted at $7K to fix.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Agree with others: seller is asking too much for that one.
I would rather have a non-damage higher mileage one for about the same money after fixing that M5.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not worth it. You can buy clean title 135k cars for that money. Even if they need work, at least they have a clean title. A salvage title is all kinds of bad.

Especially with damage to the front.
+1 Don't even think to spend that kind of money for the salvage title.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Price sounds high for a wrecked salvage title car. I would think $4-5k tops and I would only personally want it to swap the drivetrain into an E39 touring or an E38 etc.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Welcome.

By now you've decided to pass on that car, right? NO WAY it is $3k in damage. I had similar damage (except no fender or suspension damage, just bumper and radiator) and it was $7000.

Keep looking.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I had a better look at the photos. $3k in repairs makes me laugh. Not a chance. That car is only a part out candidate IMO. And since it looks like it was a POS before it was wrecked, it's probably only worth a $3-4k investment in parts tops.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I'd be all over that for a part out if it weren't for the distance. I draw generally the line at the Rockies. And I love how everyone's an expert at repair estimates. "Easy fix and a little paint work". Not.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome.

By now you've decided to pass on that car, right? NO WAY it is $3k in damage. I had similar damage (except no fender or suspension damage, just bumper and radiator) and it was $7000.

Keep looking.
Yes, I have left this one on the side of the road. I already have a "deep end" project (swapping an LS6 into a 944). In comparison, this looked easy but I don't want to waste good money on the M5 I purchase. I want a good driver. It wont be a DD at all but wont be a garage queen either. Something for fun weekend blasts.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
$3k would be generous for this pos owner's ghetto mobile.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts