BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I want to thank the active members of the board for all the great info - been a big help over the last several months ordering, waiting ect.

Must say that I am smitten with the M5 (had 96 M3). Easier to drive than expected. First time I have had so much car that thoughts of it being too much...naaa. The all leather interier if wonderful.

Picked up the car in Spartanburg. Attended the driving experience. I highly recommend it, a must if you are new to BMW or the car. You get a chance to explore some limits (OK, at moderate speeds) on someone elses M5!

Some background of interest. Got Carbon Black /Carmel all leather/Buryee. Contacted eurobuyers Aug 99, surprisingly, thought I was getting in late but was the first serious M5 buyer to approach. Placed $5K deposit with CA BMW dealer Nov. 99 for Dec 99 build date which kept slipping untill Steve made a call. Finally had a May build with a June Spartanburg delivery. Drove the 950 mi back to Iowa (no oil used). Took many phone calls to keep it going but I feel very lucky to have one.

Very happy with color combo but after seeing the other cars at Spartanburg, I could live happily with most of them. As first in line, I followed an instructor in a red M5 and noticed that lighter/brighter exterior colors contrast with the big meat tires and quad exaust for a cool, beefy look from behind.

A lot of car for the money. But I have a question for current owners. Would you have paid an extra say $5,000 or so for the development need to lighten the car (say 300lbs) and to install more sophisticated brakes (thinking track use not isolated street stops)? I think I would.

Terry.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would have no doubt.

Congrats on your M5! I'm inside my first 2 1/2 weeks of ownership myself and couldn't be happier with the car.

This is my first bimmer and won't be my last.

------------------
00' ///M5 Titanium Silver/Caramel

1 - 2 of 2 Posts