BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Should M5Board have a DIY Section for each model?

• No, I dont like to work on my own car

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about a "Do It Yourself" section? I am/have been on many msg.brds and they are always great resources.

Reactions: whatheheck

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Would be great

however, it does lower the treshold for less mechanically gifted members to start fiddling with their car.

M5's are not easy to work on, and you need a serious amount of quality tools too.
\

People have rang me in the middle of the night over tightening their sparkplugs so hard that the thread cracked in the head. It all looks so simple.

We have a saying at our shop. Nothing is simple, nothing is 'effe' , being the Dutch word for easy and fast.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm also in. You're not taking responsibility for the mistakes of others, but it'd be nice if we could all share the collective information we all have

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.246 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Over tightening a plug then is a perfect example. A complete step by step guide with all tools required, tasks to complete, and with pictures. The purpose is to allow the "average Joe" to be able to take pride in doing their own work on their car. Mod(s) please chime in and comment. I myself on my last car did everything myself (from oil changes to complete interior swap to a Turbo kit install) and was very proud of that fact. If I was unsure of something there was a DIY guide for the most part for anything I was thinking of doing. Only good can come from a section of this nature.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Fast

I agree, in a perfect world.

Ofcourse, when I read the horror stories on this board on both indy mechanics and dealers, one is even more interested in wrenching on their own car not only from economical point of view.

However, I think we should clearly point out that an M5 is no beginners car to work on, and even the smallest of jobs can go terribly wrong.

I once heard of someone misreading the torque display on a wrench, pounds and Nm confused, which caused trouble with wheels coming off.

Also, topping of oil, dropping the filler cap between the engine block impossible to retrieve without use of a car lift. Not everyone is completely stupid ofcourse, but have seen my share of armchair mechanics telling me or my guys whats what holding internet printouts in their hand.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I agree with the above points, I still feel that it would be a valuable addition to this message board. It would give the owner a reference guide to make a decision if they felt comfortable to take on a task or have a professional do it.

Example: The DIY Garage - Club RSX Message Board.

And here is a DIY guide that I just of happen to do: DIY: Fiberglass License Plate Filler - Club RSX Message Board

People have put together DIY guides ranging from how to replace headlight bulbs to clutch installs to complete motor swaps. I have noticed when looking for specific topics, it is much easier to do a search for a keyword rather than sifting thru page after page of the E60 section due to the Section layout not having child sections. Not trying to step on anyone toes here, but maybe a more structured layout/sections would be better suited. Just as of late there was a post in reference to all the M5 problems and if you notice in the main E60 section, there is alot of threads on problems. Why not have a "Problem" section so people can find things/threads easier/quicker?

Just trying to help improve a site I will be on for a long time to come. I was on my last car message board since 2002 and am still (and will continue to be) an active member to assist others with answers/suggestions/tips. :goldcup:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Great idea, count me in

·
Registered
187 Posts
Count me in as well. I've contributed a couple DIY pictorials in this section (CIC retrofit and Eibach springs).

With a dedicated section, I'd likely be more inclined to include all necessary steps, torque specs, etc, rather than just a collection of pics with minimal descriptions for each.

A sticky index where a user could quickly look up the specific job they were to undertake, to see if a DIY guide was already available, would be great as well. Such an index would also help contributers identify what's still missing.

Peter

·
Registered
911 Posts
I agree, having all the diy projects in one place would help alot. If the poster would take pics and list the tools needed a person could decide if he can do it himself. Good shops are hard to find these days and good dealerships are even worse. Even if things go south doing the repair all you have to do is call a tow truck and take it to the shop of your choice. This would make a great board even better.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the support on this guys. I know many will benefit from this.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's cold in PA as well.... 19 deg right now. Thank god 10 cyl make tons of heat.

Merry Christmas to all
And to all a good night!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
+1 for DIY section. I recently did an LED license plate installation instruction, and I tried to do it step by step. Though it was too easy to accomplish that task, I tried to break down every step, and added many pictures to make it very clear.
I could personally appreciate something like that for instance on Angel Light instalation, as I have been thinking about it. I have seen some videos, but they are not too clear to give me enough confidence to do it. So I am planning to do one and take many pictures, and videos to show every step, and talk about and show every problem I am running into! The thread I made on license plate light did not get much attention due to simplicity, but I am sure someone will take advantage of it.
I am always looking for some detailed instructions on DIY stuff. Just as a reference, here is the thread I started:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...e-light-installation-instructions-e60-m5.html
I need to see some DIY for Dummies, and make some DIY for Dummies.....I'm all in!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm on my phone so I won't post links right now. But here is a good starting list, and some of these have been done already.

1. Oil change
2. SMG/6MT gearbox fluid change
3. Brake fluid change
4. Coolant fluid drain and fill
5. Diff oil change
6. Brake pads and/or rotor service
7. Spark plugs

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm on my phone so I won't post links right now. But here is a good starting list, and some of these have been done already.

1. Oil change
2. SMG/6MT gearbox fluid change
3. Brake fluid change
4. Coolant fluid drain and fill
5. Diff oil change
6. Brake pads and/or rotor service
7. Spark plugs
It's funny you guys ask about a DIY section because I was going to ask about it. Those are the exact things I was searching for especially the oil change part and the gear box change

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Poll added to get Gustav attention :)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts