BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticing a few on the board have both M5 and M3, would be great to know what you have and what you've done to both of them. Bonus question, which tool for which job?

Pics appreciated!

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not quite a M5, but close

2002 E46 M3 Convertible (Weekend/Nice Day Duty)
-Dinan Exhaust
-CSL Rep Wheels
2003 E39 540i M-Sport (Daily Driver)
-Bone Stock

·
Registered
23 Posts
M3 is a sport coupe , has short shift, csl brakes , csl rear bonnet , csl type intake, evolve alpha-n
M5 just bought and is a sport limousine .
M3 vs M5
Harsh ride vs comfort
M variable diff ( I like it ) vs clutch type 25% LSD ( have not used to it )
High end power vs low end torque
Will come back after some more kilometers behind the wheel of the M5

·
Registered
100 Posts
M5 bone stock DD while low-mile E36 M3 used for weekend and DE duty modified with coil-over suspension, camber plates, Recaro, track pads, intake, wheels / tires.
This is 100% what my plan is, too. DD a bone stock E39 M5 while my lower mileage E36 M3 is used to DE/Weekend duty. How long have you been DDing the M5 and how is it?

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is 100% what my plan is, too. DD a bone stock E39 M5 while my lower mileage E36 M3 is used to DE/Weekend duty. How long have you been DDing the M5 and how is it?

Actually, just picked up the M5 over the weekend to replace DD ZHP and drove nearly 900 mile road trip home. So far, car is incredible. Definitely would recommend research and care in the hunt to find a good example - will be more but trust me (as I unfortunately learned on a prior purchase), you end up paying for it sooner or later. Good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Actually, just picked up the M5 over the weekend to replace DD ZHP and drove nearly 900 mile road trip home. So far, car is incredible. Definitely would recommend research and care in the hunt to find a good example - will be more but trust me (as I unfortunately learned on a prior purchase), you end up paying for it sooner or later. Good luck!
Haha very nice. I have been doing my research for the past 3 months and I feel pretty confident I have a good understanding of what to look for. Enjoy the new M5! I will create my own E36/E39 thread here when it comes to fruition. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well, I have both....a 2002 E39 M5 and 2010 E92 M3 (as well as a 2010 X5M). Many mods to the M5 and set up for track days, the M3, the wife drives daily and is her track car. Both cars are great and have similar, but very different personalities. The M5 has loads of low end torque and the M3 loves high rev's.

Here is a photo prior to the drive down to Barber Motorsports Park.

·
Registered
794 Posts
E90 M3 and an E39 M5. On paper almost the same car, but they drive very differently.
E39 is way more torquey at low revs and is sneaky-fast at the top end. Much less sound and fury, just all-go.
E39 also rides more smoothly, has more space, gets better mileage, and (more importantly) has a much bigger gas tank.

E90 has better gadgets (steering headlights, native iphone integration, fast high res maps, comfort access, etc.), turns better, has infinitely better steering and sounds better (stock vs stock).

If you like flappy-paddle gear changes, the E90 is the only game in town, but I got the manual anyway.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
E90 M3 and an E39 M5. On paper almost the same car, but they drive very differently.
E39 is way more torquey at low revs and is sneaky-fast at the top end. Much less sound and fury, just all-go.
E39 also rides more smoothly, has more space, gets better mileage, and (more importantly) has a much bigger gas tank.

E90 has better gadgets (steering headlights, native iphone integration, fast high res maps, comfort access, etc.), turns better, has infinitely better steering and sounds better (stock vs stock).

If you like flappy-paddle gear changes, the E90 is the only game in town, but I got the manual anyway.
from that description I would pick the E39 M5 over the E90 M3. Oh wait - I cross shopped them along with the E60 M5 and even though I had already owned one, I DID end up with an E39 M5!! It's the best daily driver super-sedan ever sold in my book!! And when my wife has our SUV, I can even haul my drumset or complete keyboard gig rig - yes, I am a gigging musician by hobby.

If I were to get an M3 to compliment it, I think it would have to be the E46 generation which has better steering than the E90 and the classic rev to the moon racey flat 6, not to mention lighter and smaller. E90 M3 doesn't seem like enough of a contrast to own both. To me.

And I keep my eyes open because if I found the right E46 M3 I would probably grab it - but they are very hard to find with the manual trans and lower miles and in one of the colors I want. So meanwhile I'm happy to be driving a current model Miata as my contrast car, which is even more of a contrast than an M3 would be. But I'm not completely happy with the powerplant. Might be a case to be made for a S54 Z3 or Z4 roadster.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I would say the contrast between the E39 M5 and E90 M3 is very large. The M3 is much more fun to drive, steering is alive with great feedback, the powerband of the engines couldn't be more different in character, and to top it off it's over 400lbs lighter than the M5 (at least mine is, with a 6MT (50lbs lighter than DCT), no sunroof (40+lbs), no fold-down rear seats (~45lbs), etc, it's way lighter than the typical spec weight. I never thought I would love the car as much as I do, but after 15 months now, I'm probably keeping it a long time. As for the M5, I'm on year 11 now with it, and might sell it one day which I never thought I would do...might sell the M5 and 330i to swap for an F80 M3 for my wife.

Just running BFG Rivals, 275 all around on stock width wheels (my SCCA stock class setup), I've snagged FTD at the last two BMW PC autox/time trail events we've run there with the CCA. The car is simply amazing on track, especially that track with its mix of medium speed turns and low speed turns. I've had the M5 there 4 times since 2007, got FTD all 4 times, but I was on R-comps; even with all the setup I've done on the M5, the M3 just eats it up on that track.

Anyway, the E90 M3 is a fantastic car. One of the best things about it is that it has been 100% trouble-free since it was new. In service date was 11/2010 (it's a 2011.5 model), so 3.5 years and 26k miles with zero issues/no warranty claims. I just wish I could have found a different color, but there were only 180 2011 E90 M3s with 6MT and no sunroof imported, so my selection set (and almost year long search) was a lot smaller than I thought at the time. :)

·
Registered
749 Posts
no fold-down rear seats (~45lbs)
Is it really a 45lb weight savings? How? I would think it would be closer to 4.5lbs. What am I missing?

·
Registered
794 Posts
I would say the contrast between the E39 M5 and E90 M3 is very large. The M3 is much more fun to drive, steering is alive with great feedback, the powerband of the engines couldn't be more different in character, and to top it off it's over 400lbs lighter than the M5 (at least mine is, with a 6MT (50lbs lighter than DCT), no sunroof (40+lbs), no fold-down rear seats (~45lbs), etc, it's way lighter than the typical spec weight. I never thought I would love the car as much as I do, but after 15 months now, I'm probably keeping it a long time. As for the M5, I'm on year 11 now with it, and might sell it one day which I never thought I would do...might sell the M5 and 330i to swap for an F80 M3 for my wife.

Just running BFG Rivals, 275 all around on stock width wheels (my SCCA stock class setup), I've snagged FTD at the last two BMW PC autox/time trail events we've run there with the CCA. The car is simply amazing on track, especially that track with its mix of medium speed turns and low speed turns. I've had the M5 there 4 times since 2007, got FTD all 4 times, but I was on R-comps; even with all the setup I've done on the M5, the M3 just eats it up on that track.

Anyway, the E90 M3 is a fantastic car. One of the best things about it is that it has been 100% trouble-free since it was new. In service date was 11/2010 (it's a 2011.5 model), so 3.5 years and 26k miles with zero issues/no warranty claims. I just wish I could have found a different color, but there were only 180 2011 E90 M3s with 6MT and no sunroof imported, so my selection set (and almost year long search) was a lot smaller than I thought at the time. :)
You say 275's all around... do you have the stock 18's, 19's, or comp package wheels? I'm curious because when I took my E90 to the track I was surprised at how much understeer it had and want to go bigger up front but can't tell how far I can go... I tried swapping front and rear wheels to see if I could run rears up front like on my E39, but got rubbing on the outside edge.

The biggest reason I got my E90 was my E39 now has over 120k miles and I wanted to retire it from daily driving. Neither are as fun and tossable as my track-prepped E36 was, but it didn't have a nice, rumbling V8, was not a sedan, and was not very fun on a long road trip.

My commute these days is so short I'd love it if BMW sold an electric sedan. The Tesla's are pretty neat but I don't really want a spaceship.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Is it really a 45lb weight savings? How? I would think it would be closer to 4.5lbs. What am I missing?
There is a thread on M3post that shows the weight data. I think the fold-down seats are extra heavy since they have to also function to withstand a severe load from the trunk trying to impose on the passenger compartment in a wreck situation; hence they are designed with a very strong back since it must transfer the entire impact load out through one latch. Just a guess...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts