BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of offers are you getting for your m5?

I currently have 08 alpine white with 92k miles. What should I expect from a trade or sale. Condition is pretty good! Tried the KBB method but looking for real world prices

Thanks

sidemarker

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't offer any assistance, but I have pondered the same question for the opposite reason. I am in the market to buy a low-ish mile LCI e60 m5 and am noticing that the asking prices in the for sale section are well north of KBB "excellent condition" private party sale prices. In my experience with other cars, KBB is usually on the high side when compared to actual market values. I think Edmunds pricing is usually more accurate, and in this case their pricing is even less than KBB. So are these two sites just way off or are people just dreaming with these asking prices? What are dealers offering for trade-in values on these cars? That info should give a good idea of what can be expected to pay/receive on a private party sale.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I think you are going to find large swings in price. It also depends on what you are looking for. If you're looking for something that is heavily modded then that is a specialty marked and can drive prices high or sometimes lower depending on mod selection. Then you haver the never modded and low milage highly maintained that will demand a premium.

It's all about matching the seller with the buyer. My suggestion with cars like this is if you're selling find the right venue for the type of car you're peddling and vice versa and don't settle, find what you are looking for money or car!

And don't listen to what you should be buying at or selling for. Do your homework and find the right price/car.

Cheers

T

·
0 Posts
The price range will differ greatly for these cars. Even looking at a 2008. It differs by like $20k

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Prices vary a lot as I was looking at an M5 for a friend, there seems to be no rhyme or reason.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you're going to sell your M5, and the condition is good even with your higher miles and you can document all maintenance done, then the For Sale section of this board is your best bet. Many of the asking prices always have me scratching my head. ouich

Edmunds trade-in value is a good gage for what a dealer would give you in trade after you negotiate the price as high as you can. With your miles, a dealer would likely offer you rough book price, even if the car is in great condition.

You could probably ask for a price in the mid $20's on this board and sell it in the low $20's, which is way more than you could get from a dealer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

I have noticed these large price ranges. Due to mileages I guess? My M5 is a DD. I love the car but its time to move on. Ill probably post some pics in the for sale section and go from there...

·
Registered
74 Posts
In many cases, trading in a car is not THAT much different than selling it on the street. But with these cars we often see huge differences. They are all unique, do your research and decide on what makes the most sense for YOU.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I can't offer any assistance, but I have pondered the same question for the opposite reason. I am in the market to buy a low-ish mile LCI e60 m5 and am noticing that the asking prices in the for sale section are well north of KBB "excellent condition" private party sale prices. In my experience with other cars, KBB is usually on the high side when compared to actual market values. I think Edmunds pricing is usually more accurate, and in this case their pricing is even less than KBB. So are these two sites just way off or are people just dreaming with these asking prices? What are dealers offering for trade-in values on these cars? That info should give a good idea of what can be expected to pay/receive on a private party sale.
i agree that when shopping for an m5, most were priced higher than the KBB market prices. Then I realized, the m5 is an enthusiast car, if you cannot accept that, you will not be happy with the asking price of any M5 that has been *well taken care of*. Are you shopping for an e60?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts