BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first year of owning the beast I just couldn't stand tucking it away in the winter and not being able to enjoy it every single day. So I ended up putting some Dunlop Winter Sports on the stock M5 wheels and go! go! go! Maybe that's a flashback to the old motorcyce days when I would wake up and go to bed thinking about the ride that I could not enjoy because of the weather.

This year I'm moving to "plan B", and have picked up a 330xi w/ Blizzaks for winter duty. I'm moving to a better - handling sedan coming off a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that had a four-stage turning process:

1) turn the wheel
2) sway
3) wag (yaw)
4) Finally! Go where you pointed it in step 1

Just wondering how the other M5 owners get around in snowy winter?

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
400 Posts
1986 mint condition full size bronco, 4x4.

I'm sorry, but when the snow flies so do the geese and ducks, and the M5 cant get to a blind !!!!

When the roads are dry, thats most of the time here, the m5 sets sail again.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pete said:
1986 mint condition full size bronco, 4x4.

I'm sorry, but when the snow flies so do the geese and ducks, and the M5 cant get to a blind !!!!...
Hmmm... Good point - how am I going to get that big buck home in the 330xi???
ouich

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'll be parking mine for the most part as well :(

I've already got a Taurus SHO with blizzaks, so I will use that for the crappy weather. If it turns out to be a nice dry day, I'll take out the beast. I'm used to this having a motorcycle. Makes me appreciate spring all the more :)

cherrsagai

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fart: Last week my Jeep sold on ebay to a fellow in Iceland.

vvanherk: I used to have a '95 SHO with Blizzaks - that was a fantastic winter car. Mine had an auto trans and the "start from second gear" feature was very useful in the slippery stuff. Just slip the shifter into "2", and the car would start out in second gear (instead of first). The low torque in second combined with front wheel drive and blizzaks were awesome. Is your SHO an auto or 5-spd?

·
Banned
1,120 Posts
ELEVENS said:

vvanherk: I used to have a '95 SHO with Blizzaks - that was a fantastic winter car. Mine had an auto trans and the "start from second gear" feature was very useful in the slippery stuff. Just slip the shifter into "2", and the car would start out in second gear (instead of first). The low torque in second combined with front wheel drive and blizzaks were awesome. Is your SHO an auto or 5-spd?
Jeep Grand Cherokee is fast becoming the most common car in Iceland.. due to the favorable exchange rate of the US$ and the Icelandic Krona (our currency). I bought one in february from Boston MA and had it flown in on a Boing 757. My dad also bought one, and my friend bought 2x.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Only dry roads are good enough for my M5. I put it on a battery minder in the far bay of my garage and wait for better weather. I'll drive my Accord coupe with all season tires for a few months. It doesn't get too snowy in Toronto but they use a lot of salt and sand to control the freezing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
ELEVENS said:

SHO is a 97, bought new in 99. It is automatic, as that is only way to get them for last generation. It has been a very good car for me.; Few issues, and a nice little motor.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Check the picture in my gallery. That is about how far it went with the stock dunlops. I got caught longer than anticipated in a long business trip back east. :haha:

·
Registered
451 Posts
While I haven't found my 03 M5 yet ( I'm seriously looking!!), when I get it will do the same thing I have done since I bought my 98 M3 which is get some new rims with snow tires and go skiing every day!!! Snow just makes great cars that much more fun to slide around in.

PCUT

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
For all the snow I get here in south Florida, :2: I nonetheless back up my beast with the best in AWD: Audi quattro! :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Hey Elevens, I remember some one suggesting to me not that long ago "The beast must be driven" or at least something along those lines. I can't say I blame you parking the beast though. Gotta keep our LeMans beauties in pristine condition.

My Jeep has also gone to the "trail rated pastures" and my X5 will get the daily duty.

Regards,
Terk.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Terk said:
Hey Elevens, I remember some one suggesting to me not that long ago "The beast must be driven" ...
Yea, yea, yea, I know, I know! She'll still be driven though, just not every day. She's fine in the snow with snow tires, I just get sick of washing her every couple of days.

Funny how we both ended up getting rid of our Jeep Overlands for AWD BMW's :flag:

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Funny how we both ended up getting rid of our Jeep Overlands for AWD BMW's :flag:
BMW must be in the blood. :) Btw, just started to look at an AWD 3 series for my wife. Her only request was two pedals on the floor. :hihi:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Last week the beast got caught in the rain for the first time and didn't like it much so I don't anticipate it liking the snow too much. :2: The Tacoma 4x4 will tackle the winter grind until I can buy a 330xi or a audi A4 AWD.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts