BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are just a few mods that I took care of this weekend. I have to give a BIG THANKS to ritchy-69 for the diy ram air scoops. Final scoops had to be trimmed down from the original size. I also removed my charcoal filters, painted the front brake retainer clips black and installed M decals, installed hawks front brake pads, and aluminum M pedals.
I ordered a sprint booster today, thanks to Vincent from Bimmerzone.com via (cyber monday sale). I have plans to order pulleys and bmc filters hopefully a tune in the next month or so. (need to continue my research) :confused:

I don't have any dyno numbers to show if some of the mods made a hp increase but by the butt dyno and how i ran against a 5.0 Mustang and C6 vette both with work, I'm pleased with the performance :M5launch: :eek:oohhh: :byebye: boys lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Those scoops look like they block a lot of the air inlet to the radiator from the top. Have you seen any changes in engine temp? I'd keep an eye on that.

·
2,149 Posts
Scoops are wayy too big.. The stock box can only move so much air, and so much ram air is good before you get diminishing results. On top of blocking alot of radiator surface area for cooling, i would get rid of them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks good. Where did you source the pedals from?

Thanks,
Ali

Reactions: damen

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those scoops look like they block a lot of the air inlet to the radiator from the top. Have you seen any changes in engine temp? I'd keep an eye on that.

I had the trim down the scoops alot from whats seen before they went in the car. The temps haven't changed.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Looks like you took full advantage of the long weekend! Nice to take time out to DIY.

·
Registered
156 Posts
LOL....dude, dont try and take those scoops off to make them straight....hahaha. they are fine! whos gonna see your scoops while going 100 mph. And you really don't notice them when the car is parked.
Good weekend you had. As far as block off plate. I hear they rob you of power.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL....dude, dont try and take those scoops off to make them straight....hahaha. they are fine! whos gonna see your scoops while going 100 mph. And you really don't notice them when the car is parked.
Good weekend you had. As far as block off plate. I hear they rob you of power.
thanks buddy, i was doing some searches on the block off plates and couldnt find much on it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
DO NOT INSTALL THE BLOCK OFF PLATES!!! They rob you of power. Fact. When I installed mine at the same time I did the scoops, every time I went WOT I felt like something was missing at 5k+. Then one day I decided to take them out and see. Holy Crap!! What a difference. I felt like I gained 10 hp+. My car struggles for traction at the top of 2nd gear now, and it never felt this fast before (I did scoops, filters, and plates at the same time).

I don't know who thought blocking off a major source of air to the air boxes was a good idea, but it wasn't. Do not install them unless you want your car to be slower.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DO NOT INSTALL THE BLOCK OFF PLATES!!! They rob you of power. Fact. When I installed mine at the same time I did the scoops, every time I went WOT I felt like something was missing at 5k+. Then one day I decided to take them out and see. Holy Crap!! What a difference. I felt like I gained 10 hp+. My car struggles for traction at the top of 2nd gear now, and it never felt this fast before (I did scoops, filters, and plates at the same time).

I don't know who thought blocking off a major source of air to the air boxes was a good idea, but it wasn't. Do not install them unless you want your car to be slower.
thanks for the heads up. its hard to believe that rpi would make a part that has a negative effect on the car. is there anyone out there who has had a good experience with the block off plates? they are already ordered so i may have to test it out for myself. thank goodness they weren't pricey if they don't work.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have the full RPi intake setup on my car including the block off plates. When I first installed them it made a big overall difference past 60mph but I don't know where all the gains came from since I installed the plates, scoops, and filters all at the same time. I might take out the block off plates one of these days to see how it responds.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

You got a very finely tuned butt dyno if you can feel 10 hp difference.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts