1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
159 Posts
Would not be the highest price ever paid for an E39 M5. It is worth it if someone is willing to write the check. It will be interesting to see if it sells for this price.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ding ding ding EAG one sold this one last year for $176,000

Silver 2002 E39 M5 with only 437 miles and comes with the original introductory VHS.
(if you're too young to know what VHS is, Google it. Punk 🖕)

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
To each their own right...

Unfortunately, it’s a waste of $, the new owner will never enjoy the car or one day it becomes the most expensive parts car.

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
Ding ding ding EAG one sold this one last year for $176,000

Silver 2002 E39 M5 with only 437 miles and comes with the original introductory VHS.
(if you're too young to know what VHS is, Google it. Punk 🖕)
That wasn't EAG. They never participated in the cars that board member BigGar offered here back in 2008, found a buyer for the 90 mile Imola example (board member Danish paying $50k for it), but then sent the other two, both silver, one a 2002 with ~100 miles and one a 2000 with about 1900 miles, to an RM Auction in 2010. Griot scooped up the 2002 example, drove it about 350 miles and then sent it to auction last year where it pulled in $176,000.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Well, why is this surprising? Cars (not E39 M5s) sell for $150K and more all the time, every minute. If you have the money and you really want as close to new E39 M5 as possible, $150K is not that much money, especially since its Imola! :)

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Looks like we need to restructure our priorities.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well, why is this surprising? Cars (not E39 M5s) sell for $150K and more all the time, every minute. If you have the money and you really want as close to new E39 M5 as possible, $150K is not that much money, especially since its Imola! :)
This.

In fact, you can probably option an F90 M5 to close to $150k but that would be nowhere near as rare (or cool IMO).

Also I think if I were to ever have another E39 M5, it would need to be either Imola or LeMans. They fit the car so damn well.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
What poor soul options Imola with silverstone interior though :(

Imola / Imola now we're talking $150k :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
I can't see why all the surprised faces, people pay a lot more than 150k for rare watches every day, why not for a rare car.I know what I'd rather have and I'm a watch guy too.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
You guys all should be happy that there are M5s pulling in that much money! I would rather buy one for $15k with loads of character and drive there heck out of it while spending the rest of my $100K+ on other stuff... And being able to mod and maintain it with some leftover money would in the end, make it a much better car objectively speaking. One can also invest the rest of the money and earn double the amount in a few years. To each his/her own.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I can't see why all the surprised faces, people pay a lot more than 150k for rare watches every day, why not for a rare car.I know what I'd rather have and I'm a watch guy too.
Because it's not a rare car? They brought nearly 10,000 of them to the US. This particular car is basically just a $150k piece of art for whoever buys it. Can't drive it or the value will drop like a rock.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Because it's not a rare car? They brought nearly 10,000 of them to the US. This particular car is basically just a $150k piece of art for whoever buys it. Can't drive it or the value will drop like a rock.
How many of these 10,000 have less than 10K miles on them now? And how many of those are Imola? See, it is a rare car, regardless of how many were made.
Keep in mind, for people buying this one for $150K whether they can drive it or not is irrelevant. I can bet you $150K this is not going to be their only car, or DD.
If this is a piece of art for them, so be it. I know some people who are paying millions for some painting they stick on the wall! :) How crazy is that!?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Missed the point , it's rare now and before you say it isn't show me 10 other the same for sale........

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the price is crazy to. But that's the collectors market in general. It sucks but there'a nothing to do about it. If someone wants to pay $150k or more for one then so be it.

And not to mention, you'd probably being paying close to that or at least $100k to properly restore a beat up E39 M5 like new so...eh lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
How many of these 10,000 have less than 10K miles on them now? And how many of those are Imola? See, it is a rare car, regardless of how many were made.
Keep in mind, for people buying this one for $150K whether they can drive it or not is irrelevant. I can bet you $150K this is not going to be their only car, or DD.
If this is a piece of art for them, so be it. I know some people who are paying millions for some painting they stick on the wall! :) How crazy is that!?
I am aware that the buyer a) can do whatever they want with the car, b) probably owns several cars, and c) people pay a lot of money for art.
Missed the point , it's rare now and before you say it isn't show me 10 other the same for sale........
No, you missed my point, which was actually two points. 1) The E39 M5 is not that rare and that EAG is overvaluing these low mileage examples, and 2) People that are buying them are at least partially, if not entirely, buying them as an investment, which means they would be foolish to go putting more than a few miles on them.

A Chevy Celebrity with <10k miles on it is rare too. LOL. You guys need to lighten up a little bit. :p

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts