BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I queried one of the support guys from AutoEnginuity a while back for support of the M5. He added me to a notification list. Here is an excerpt from his email today:

"Got it!! 3.2 releases Monday with M3/M5 and Z8 support! As both an owner and a Club Racer of these cars nothing brings me more pleasure then announcing this. This is an exclusive for our ScanTool."

<O:pand:
<O:p</O:p
<O:p"You only need the ST01 PC ScanTool and nothing else. No, you won’t need a service light reset tool from anybody. You can do that from the trip computer for free."

If you look at their website, the 3.1 release is the current one. I'll be checking it on Monday (Jan 31st): www.autoenginuity.com.

Looks promising. I am not guaranteeing anything here. Just passing information along. I would suggest confirming with AutoEnginuity directly before buying the ScanTool.

'00m5<O:p</O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
298 Posts
00m5 said:
I queried one of the support guys from AutoEnginuity a while back for support of the M5. He added me to a notification list. Here is an excerpt from his email today:

"Got it!! 3.2 releases Monday with M3/M5 and Z8 support! As both an owner and a Club Racer of these cars nothing brings me more pleasure then announcing this. This is an exclusive for our ScanTool."
<O:p</O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p
I have the Autoenginuity scantool for PC with an earlier version of the software. Up to this point it will not connect to my M5. It works just fine on my other OBDII vehicles (E46 330i, 2001 F250, 2001 Focus wagon). So hopefully they are correct and as of Monday (1/31 I assume) it will work with the E39 M5 too.

It is a relatively inexpensive solution to reading DTCs and resetting the SES light, the software is pretty intuitive and there are a bunch of live sensors that you can read out in real time too.

Regards

·
Registered
298 Posts
01M5 said:
How does this compare with the Peake Research tool?
It consists of a cable that you connect to the vehicle's diagnostic port on one end and a laptop/Pocket PC/Palm device on the other. There is a software interface which operates on your device of choice that allows you to read-out any stored error codes, reset your SES light (clear the codes), do data capture and logging on some of the engine sensors in real time or view a live "instument panel" with the sensors of your choice. There is also some software which supposedly acts as a dyno to calculate HP/Torque based upon acceleration and vehicle weight; it doesn't contain the accelerometers of some of the standalone units though so it's using the vehicle's signals for speed. I have downloaded that but not tried it yet.

Take a look at http://www.autoenginuity.com/products.html for the complete description.

I bought the laptop version since I have an old laptop in the garage anyway with ETK/TIS on it. The problem is that there isn't much room inside the car to use a laptop. The Pocket PC version might be better in this regard.

It works pretty well except I haven't yet been able to get it to communicate with my M5. I was told that that's because E46 M3s and E39 M5s are not fully OBDII compliant. One nice thing is that all of the software upgrades are free so if what 00M5 reported earlier pans-out, then it should now work. Unfortunately my car is in the body shop for probably the next month so I won't be able to try it until I get it back.

I did have an issue on my 330i that I was getting a SES light because an aftermarket intake was leaking after the MAFS, the Autoenginuty reported a code of P7000 which isn't a BMW recognized P code. It did also report some other codes that were valid (Lean mixture IIRC) and pointed me to the intake as being the issue.

I haven't actually used a Peake tool, so I can't comment on how well it works but I don't think it has much of the functionality of the Autoenginuity.

Regards

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
I'm considering getting one of these. Any updates as to whether or not the tool works with E39 M5's now?
thx

·
Registered
298 Posts
tfung said:
I'm considering getting one of these. Any updates as to whether or not the tool works with E39 M5's now?
thx
Well, I never got around to testing it after installing the 3.2 software. I just tried it in response to your post and it will not connect. The software does connect to the OBDII port but just repeatedly tries to talk to the car but doesn't suceed. I'll email tech support and see what happens.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the scan tool and use it on a 540. Jay at autoenginuity has been very helpful with any problems that i have had in the past. I have had the tool for over two years. It does an excellent job at reading the fault codes. Version 3.3 just got released. Speed Tracer is a nice addition. I don't know how accurate the HP readings are. I tried it on the 540i and got 253, which is pretty close to what i expect with a intake and M5 exhaust. It comes out to 297 at the crank. I also did a run in a 03 Evolution Viii and came up with 183. The HP is supposed to be wheel HP. Speed Tracer has everything all set-up all you have to do is select the car. The gear ratios drag coeficents and weight are all pre programmed. I get my power chip Gold 93 this week. Hopefully it adds another 19 at the crank like its supposed too.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have the Autotap system (http://www.autotap.com) and it works great with a laptop or a Palm handheld with my M5. Great program and fun to play around with. I keep a Peake Research tool in the M5 so it's handy to read fault codes and reset the SES light if need be.

:cheers:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well, my car ignited the SES light today so I played around with the Autoauthority again and got it to work. The trick seems to be the following settings:

Com port baud rate: 19,200
Vehicle Interface Port: ISO9141-2
Initialization Type: BMW 01-05 M3/M5

The fault indicates a lean condition on bank 2, I have an appointment with the dealer on Monday.

Regards

Jamie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts