BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally hit the 200K mile mark. I figure it was time to honor her and post up some pictures. She's had plenty of track time and was my daily driver up until I bought a F30 328i M-sport for a daily. I just did a bunch of maintenance on her. I've been having a hard time deciding to do the rod bearings since they've gone this long. What's the consensus on high mileage motors? Let me know what you guys think.

I recently posted my car up for sale locally but I think I'm just going to pull down the ad. I don't think I'll be able to replace such an amazing car for it's market value at this point. I think I'm stuck with it forever... which isn't a bad thing.

Here are the pics:

Thanks for looking :cheers:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Beautiful! Any major problems you've encountered with that mileage? Looks amazing. What specs on your ARC8's? More or less comparing apples to oranges here, but I preventatively replaced my rod bearings on my S54 M Coupe @ 96k and found zero premature wear on them. It saw high RPM every day and multiple track days a year. Yes scorching and rod bearing wear is very real, but lots of horror stories only seen on forums instill some false fears.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
You will NOT find anything like it for the money today. I went over this so many times now and conclusion is, maintains it and remove weight plus NA upgrades. Refresh the motor with stronger connecting rods and pistons, sleeve the motor, blue print and balance and then slap a 12 psi supercharger on it and call it a day for many many years to come. That is my plan for far future.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Looking good Geoff, doing the rod bearings can only help you go another 200k.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Those look like wider that 9.5" square. What are your full wheel specs? That's very close to the stance I'm looking for, although I would probably ride a half inch higher.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Congrats - looks great! How long have you had her? Agree that you will not get nearly what she is "worth" to you if you sell.

P.S. To answer your question, if you are making a long-term commitment to the car, I'd seriously consider doing the rod bearings. Otherwise I'd worry every time I redlined the car!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The wheels are 18x10 Apex ARC-8s with 275/35r18s. I'm running a 20mm spacer in front. None in the rear. I use to have my car 3/4" lowing in front and 1" lower in the rear. I thought it was rubbing on the front fenders but it turns out I was rubbing the tops of the front wheel wells. I must admit, the slightly taller ride height improved the handling dramatically. My car feels much lighter on its feet.

I've had my car for 4 years now and bought it with 140k miles.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'll do the bearings within the next few months as time allows.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The wheels are 18x10 Apex ARC-8s with 275/35r18s. I'm running a 20mm spacer in front. None in the rear. I use to have my car 3/4" lowing in front and 1" lower in the rear. I thought it was rubbing on the front fenders but it turns out I was rubbing the tops of the front wheel wells. I must admit, the slightly taller ride height improved the handling dramatically. My car feels much lighter on its feet.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'll do the bearings within the next few months as time allows.
Whats the off set on the wheels?

·
Registered
554 Posts
That's only 3/4" lowered? Wow. Second on the offsets. Camber? What suspension are you running? And you don't get any rubbing except maybe a hair at full lock? You seemed to use 10" okay--I read another post stating the 10.5" was actually easier to use due to offsets.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous!

Mine is approaching 120k miles and I've taken her off heavy driving duties as well, using an E92 335i coupe as a daily driver. I simply love the car too much and want to keep it as pristine as I can. Making it the "secondary" car means every single time I drive it, it feels like a novel experience. I'm sure you feel the same!

Reactions: MotherSport

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Wheels are brilliant! Which brand?
see his post

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Congrats and very nice! I'm right behind you and thinking of making a 200k post as well kinggf ..I'd like to know what suspension too..would love to go back to square setup. I'm on Bilstein PSS. I think I can do it with a 20 mm up front as well.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts

Love the wheels. I don't see a proper E39 center bore on the Apex website though. Was it custom?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Amazing shape and awesome looking Beast. You are better off keeping her as you will not find a better car anywhere. Besides, think of the remorse you will go through if you sell her.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts