BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The pics are taken at a military air force base. The "driver" managed to somehow find a get around all military police guarding location and was racing around on the runways for about _1 hour_ until the military police caught on around midnight. The racing was followed by a chase around the taxi runways where the driver got lost and could not find same little exit hole and was surrounded by MP.

After 30 min of interrogation, and persuading the MP that the car indeed was not off-roaded onto the location, the MP evaluating the car's height and agreeing eventually, then still insisting the only way in is past the MP Officer at front security gate. After another 15 min of arguing with MP's that there indeed is another road in, a new small exit asphalt road was revealed to the MP's and the driver was released with a warning and write-up, instead of an arrest.

The place is totally ****ing awesome, i can show you where it is, but enter at your own risk. It's the best playground ever.

**Note: No airplanes were disturbed during the test run

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Yes you see it right, the brakes are glowing. They were glowing almost white when the car was stopped from 160-170mph after numerous runs.

By the way the brake light went on, maybe some one can recommend some decent brake pads and where to order them??? Pretty PLZ!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yes you see it right, the brakes are glowing. They were glowing almost white when the car was stopped from 160-170mph after numerous runs.

By the way the brake light went on, maybe some one can recommend some decent brake pads and where to order them??? Pretty PLZ!

you probably fried the brake pad sensor... but that is crazy, ive never seen my brake rotors glow like that... even after acouple 180mph runs... brake fade much?!... lol... nice pics tho... thanks for sharing!

btw you definatly torched those rotors and pads too... i would definatly replace those as well...

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
You have got to be kidding

The pics are great, but I have to ask if you have lost your mind?!:eek:h: How could you possibly know there would be no aircraft landing at any point in time? You were so lucky that the MP's did not throw you in jail. I would have for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I have been on some extreme drives with M5 groups in N.CA. in the Napa area. In fact, we even had police searching for us at one point in time on one of the the drives and I do recall drivers even seeing some "air time" in a few places, but I would never consider entering a military air field for some joy riding.

Sorry, just not very smart to me.

Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll be willing to bet that the 'driver' was not of middle-eastern decent. Otherwise he just might be spending a little time at a quaint resort in Cuba.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
That is one of the most reckless yet coolest things I've seen in a while.
Danger of interrupting a military flight was a reality though. :nono:

The red rotor shots make it all worth it. :eek:oohhh:

AND you are lucky you didn't get charged with something...FEDERAL!

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Madness is right. I can't get over those glowing brake rotors...

D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Was that at El Toro by any chance? I got to play around there late at night.. but it was because the ex-gf worked for a car company at the time and she had to get on base to do something for the autox they were holding the next day. I went through the back roads as well.. haha but did get lost trying to get out. Cool rotor pix! And by cool I actually mean HOT

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I think a few items were left out of this story..:rolleyes:
I have to agree, something on this story is not fitting. I mean, who in their right mind will enter a military base and drive around the runway? That is, IMHO, a serious Darwin Award attempt.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Like the pics. The stunt was bit crazy for all the reasons above. The military does practice combat night landings (i.e. w/o much light, sometimes none!), so you're lucky (1) you didn't get fried by some F/A 18 doing touch and goes (the results of being torched by afterburners are a touch difficult to recover from); (2) you didn't get fried by the MPs. Don't do it again!

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I have to agree, something on this story is not fitting. I mean, who in their right mind will enter a military base and drive around the runway? That is, IMHO, a serious Darwin Award attempt.
>>>

Yep. I call BS...or off-the-chart stupidity.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts