BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving East-West down Mulholland Hwy (the Snake) from the look out and lost it on turn 2 tonight. It was a cold windy night and there was a lot of dirt on the road. Tires lost grip, so I went wide and straight into some boulders and a sign. Damage is all in the front, but I was fine. No airbag deployment. I might've been able to save it if I powered through it, but bottom line is it was beyond my skill level. Moral of the story is cold dusty road on a cold night with cold tires is a recipe for disaster. Drive safe, friends.

Next line of business is if anyone can recommend me a body shop in the greater LA area, preferably north LA... dunno if its gonna be totaled, in which case.. time to find another beast :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
That is painful to look at. Sorry for your misfortune. :sad3:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Damn that sucks.

Looks like a write off for sure.

If you want to sell the wreck- I want one just like yours.

take out the diff and shafts, cut it in half- and throw the bits and front in a container I can access.

Then it can find new life in my 540i.

PM me if interested

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I agree with others, the car is more than likely "totaled" as far as the Insurance company is concerned.

If you LOVE the car, can't bare the thought of another or have several thousands invested in aftermarket stuff, prepare yourself to fight and/or let them total it, take the money MINUS the cost of the car and fix the car yourself. You know your car, if it is only technically totaled, you will come out ahead by pocketing the money by letting them total it, then buy it back from them for a minimal charge and fix the car yourself.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I'd recommend Specialty Car Craft in L.A. Tell Steve the owner that Eddie "Lotus" sent you. He has done my Lotus on several occasions and he also totaled out my Range Rover when I was hit by a drunk driver. He'll work with you whichever way you decide.
But from the photos it does look like a total in which case I'm sorry for your loss. But look at it as an opportunity to buy a new beast.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Glad you are ok. Sorry about the loss, gotta be heartbreaking. I'm sure we'll see you in a new beast real soon. Hang in there!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
If you DON'T want to total it, you might want to get it to the body shop of your choosing, and have them look at it and run the numbers BEFORE the insurance comes to a decision. I suspect it is easier to steer their decision than to reverse it.

Although once the number tally up, it may be a foregone conclusion.

Oh, remember, if you do total it, AFTER you negotiate a final VALUE for the car/loss, add on 9+% 'use tax' on top of that number (since you'll have to pay that on the new car.)

GL

A

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah. like i said i ran wide... might've had more luck with DSC OFF in this case and try to power through it. but thats beyond my skill....

anyways thanks for the rec plastique999. I called em up and they seem like a real stand up shop. Already extremely helpful over the phone. They're picking up the car now and I'll be heading out there around lunch time to discuss.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
That's a write off.

Just from the photos I'm assuming anywhere from $10,000 to $15,000 in repairs....could be higher.

Unfortunate...glad you're OK.

·
Registered
135 Posts
She did her job and kept you safe...

BTW, kudoes to your great attitude about this whole thing--I would be really pissed and would be ranting and finding some other way to blame someone or something else. You're ready to take the next step and move on--good on ya!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
That just makes me ill to look at. glad that you're ok. sorry about the ///M.

Use it as a good excuse to get clear corner Hella lights....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ouch, glad you are ok, sorry for your misfortune. I very nearly had a similar accident here in Austin a few years ago in my Z on a local downhill and twisty road with a couple of nasty off camber turns. I know that feeling all to well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts