BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked around for some rears to fit on the front and do what a lot of other members have done and run 9.5 x 18all round.

I am considering increasing the front track as there is plenty of clearance and it will hopefully increase the front track, add a little weight to the steering and dial out any mild understeer. Plus look more agressive.

Doing the maths I think I could run 15mm spacers or possibly 20mm at the front. Anyone done this ? I have heard of people running 10mm at the front. I would love to see some piccies as I wouldn't want it to look too 'boy racer'.

Anyone run spacers at the back ?

It might be possible to run 3mm back and 15mm front or even 20mm front and 10mm back ?

Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
When I bought my M5, the first thing I noticed was how inward the front wheels were. I had a 2000 model MB CLK and I loved how my 18 inch wheels were inline with the front fender edges!!!! Something that the M5 didnt have! But I am sure the folks at ///M knew what they were doing when they built this car ( stability wise and handling characteristics)

Anyways, the first thing I did was order a pair of 10mm spacers fro Rogue Engineering and this was the result! I like it, good enough for me!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
And in case you're wondering how it would look with slightly lowered suspension?

Here you go!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
OK I just noticed something!

The two pics look almost the same! I mean, the first one is when I had stock shocks on, and the second one is when I installed the Hamann's! :confused:

They look almost identical!!!

Sorry, i dont wanna turn this thread into "Ahmed showin off his M5" thread... but I just feel the need to justify this through another visual representation!!!!!

Now lets seee.... this should do it! :hihihi:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahmed,

Thanks heaps, I love the CAI grill as well, it looks way better with an extra 10mm, Im assuming it has no clearance issues ?

Would you try 15mm spacers or stick with 10's ?

:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
The more you space out your front tires, the more wear you will get on the inside of those tires!!! Thats the problem I'm having right now!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am thinking of doing this mod aswell, I may have got the wrong end of the stick but from what I have read: Fitment of OEM rear wheels to the front can only be done if wheel correctly spaced AND to alleviate tyre scrub camber correction top mounts fitted (available from Dinan). 275's all round?

Any board members that have this setup or similar? Comments welcomed, I don't want to get it all wrong!
Best Regards
Peter.

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
M500PMW said:
I am thinking of doing this mod aswell, I may have got the wrong end of the stick but from what I have read: Fitment of OEM rear wheels to the front can only be done if wheel correctly spaced AND to alleviate tyre scrub camber correction top mounts fitted (available from Dinan). 275's all round?

Any board members that have this setup or similar? Comments welcomed, I don't want to get it all wrong!
Best Regards
Peter.
In order to keep the proper alignment, you need 3mm spacers in the front with 18x9.5 rears. I think Lscman or RRoberts has addressed this in another post. If you change the geometry by using the wrong size spacers, you will affect stability (at least at higher speeds), including more tramlining (the car tends to wander and pull from side to side over small road imperfections instead of going straight). The BMW engineers are pretty good at what they do, so while acknowledging most things are a compromise, I wouldn't make radical changes from the stock setup unless you or someone working with you really knows what they are doing. A couple of mm for appearance may not have a big effect, just monitor what you do. 3mm is relatively small, but 10mm is about a 1/4 inch, which is pretty big for wheel offset IMHO. BTW, I have a spare set of 18x9.5's and 3mm spacers to put them on front, but my car handles so well on the street with Dinan 3 suspension and stock wheels, I don't see the need.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahmed,

How does the car handle in comparison ? Weightier steering and more sensitive ?

Not sure why the inner tyres should wear more, anyone make suggestions ?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Carrera2RS said:
Ahmed,

How does the car handle in comparison ? Weightier steering and more sensitive ?

Not sure why the inner tyres should wear more, anyone make suggestions ?
Well, the steering response is better, i get more feel of what the front end is doing in relation to the road surface! That was an immediate change that i noticed after fitting the spacers!

I havent driven it on the track yet, but i presume less understeer from now on! Which is what i want!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts