BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
The E46 M3 market has really had some significant change in the past few months as early cars have entered the teens, so that has influenced E36s imo. I've even seen a number of 2006 M3s on the market in the mid-30s just sitting there, so people with a pristine 2003 hoping to get 32k or such are just dreaming in this market as they find the market for their car is 7-8k lower than they think. In order to get top dollar for an E36 in today's market means you're going to have to find a collector interested in the car most likely. 18 months ago, one like you described might sell for $17k. In today's market if you had to sell it right away, it'd probably be more like 13k?
Yeah, I have had a few people that have found my asking price to be fair and reasonable, but you're always going to have the lowballers and ones that assume you're desperate. I'm not. I mean, sure, I'd like to sell it to have room in the garage, but I'm not counting on selling it to afford a life-saving surgery.

Lowballers make me want to do illegal things to them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Depending on where you are at in FL, my dad might be interested in the car. He's located in Tampa and growing tired of his aging 3 series cars.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have to agree with BeemerGuy. If "Easycare" is a 3rd party warranty, then forget it. It's worth nothing to me as a buyer either. What I got with my car was the CPO 6yr/100k warranty, with the 6yr/100k maintenance to match. That has some value.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Yeah, I have had a few people that have found my asking price to be fair and reasonable, but you're always going to have the lowballers and ones that assume you're desperate. I'm not. I mean, sure, I'd like to sell it to have room in the garage, but I'm not counting on selling it to afford a life-saving surgery.

Lowballers make me want to do illegal things to them.
If the car is in really outstanding shape, think long and hard about holding it very long term. It probably will not depreciate hardly anything from here, so your only expenses are the carrying costs. I assume it's a manual tranny as I believe those will be much more sought after by future collectors than the auto versions. I regret selling three of the numerous BMWs I've had over the past 30 years. I won't make that mistake with the E39 M5. If I had a 98 M3 sedan, I wouldn't make the mistake of selling it either. :)

Chuck

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sorry but I disagree.....

I have to agree with BeemerGuy. If "Easycare" is a 3rd party warranty, then forget it. It's worth nothing to me as a buyer either. What I got with my car was the CPO 6yr/100k warranty, with the 6yr/100k maintenance to match. That has some value.
Here is how I would value post 4/50K warranty options -

1. CPO+Maintainance is best (but cant go beyond 6yrs of first sale)
2. A very good aftermarket warranty (like Eascycare - for thoes of you who have done research on this topic you know why this is the case)
3. CPO

A good aftermarket warranty will cover almost everything on your car - except wear and tear. Here are the exclusions from Easycare (bumper to bumper coverage) -

Bright metal, sheet metal, bumpers, ornamentation moldings, carpet, upholstery, paint, exhaust system, brake drums, MacPherson strut cartridge insert or shock absorbers, batteries, battery cables, lenses, light bulbs, sealed beams, glass, wheel covers, wheels, interior trim, carburetor, throttle body assembly, manual clutch components, body seals and gaskets (e.g., weather stripping).

A good company will pay and will (hopefully) remain in business or have the insurance backing (v/s a RRF). I have personal experiance dealing with aftermarket warranty and for me (though not on my current M5) they have paid. Also, as a buyer I would certainly attach value to a good aftermarket warranty. Of course with mods the situation changes...

·
Registered
446 Posts
If the car is in really outstanding shape, think long and hard about holding it very long term. It probably will not depreciate hardly anything from here, so your only expenses are the carrying costs. I assume it's a manual tranny as I believe those will be much more sought after by future collectors than the auto versions. I regret selling three of the numerous BMWs I've had over the past 30 years. I won't make that mistake with the E39 M5. If I had a 98 M3 sedan, I wouldn't make the mistake of selling it either. :)

Chuck
Yeah, not to attempt to hijack thread, but I am applying to oral & maxillofacial surgery residencies, so I will need to lose the M3. I love the car, but with the e39 M5, I find NO need to have it around. The M5 is just too damn fun! :M5launch:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
interestingly enough the cpo warranty on the X5 has more exclusions than the Easycare warranty -- I've been very, repeat very, dissatisfied with the cpo warranty.

When it came time, the BMW dealer could provide both the BMW warranty and Easycare and heartily recommended Easycare because of their excellent experience and the fact that it covers more. I've had a couple of minor items covered by the easycare warranty ... no problems at all. I've had critical (service engine soon) items NOT covered by the cpo warranty on the X5.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Don't tell me that! I have the CPO warranty on my X5! hmmm

I'm really not familiar with the Easycare warranty, so I mentally just lump it in with every other 3rd party warranty. It would a be analagous to finding out someone is a used car salesman, politician, or lawyer. At that point, my desire to learn anything more about them immediately ceases due to a seriously pre-prejudiced viewpoint. :biggrinbounce:

I may be more representative of a typical buyer, since most people I know, who have had 3rd party warranties before, would never do it again. You may need to provide additional "education" to a prospective buyer about Easycare.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts