BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 2001 E39 M5 with 61,000 miles on it. It's in excellent shape, never been driven in snow, never had any problems with it etc. etc. We split our time between Florida and Northern Ontario and the car has been sitting in Florida with little use 8 months of the year ... it's a waste of a car that likes to be driven.

Kelly Blue Book private party sale shows the car worth 29,000 and change. Here's the thing -- I purchased the top-end Easycare Warranty through my BMW dealier and it has more than a year to run (to May 2009) and many more miles (100,000 but it'll never get there unless someone drives it around the world and then some).

The car has a set of Pilot Sports with <2,000 miles on them. As a bonus I also have a set of 4 winter tires and rims from a 540i/6 that I saved and carry one around as a spare. The other three are up north and I'd have to get them to any new owner if he/she is interested.

Irrelevant information -- we have an X5 that makes the trips between Ontario and Florida. It gets all the miles. The M5 gets used down here but only for short trips and, frankly, most driving around here on the highway is cruise control driving anyway, not nearly as much fun as the hilly west Philadelphia suburbs where we used to live. I'm thinking of replacing the M5 with perhaps a Mini that will take less room in the garage and will still be good for around here.

I'm not sure what I want for it ... just testing the water. The extended warranty should increase the value for a buyer who knows that he/she has more than a year to shake out any undisclosed problems. If there were problems, I would get them fixed, since they would be covered by the warranty anyway.

On the other hand, I could just keep the car ...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would do a search on autotrader.com, etc., to see what the local asking prices are... The warranty helps (a lot), and full maintenance records are a huge plus for most buyers. My guess would be high $20s would be a good deal for someone.

Good luck!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I always wondered if warranties were like mods in that you never get your money back for them? Not saying it should be one way or the other; I simply do not know.

I have never bought a car with a warranty other than my wife's MDX. cherrsagai

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not expecting my money back nor did I get my money's worth -- I drove the car so little beyond the original warranty that it was not really worth it.

However, for a buyer, since they would have a warranty that they could not purchase ... it's got to be worth something. Repairs on these cars can be expensive and if I were the buyer it would give me a lot more confidence knowing that I had a year's worth of full warranty.

As I said, if all I can get is the blue book, I'll keep the car. It's a great car.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah, as a measuring stick (maybe)....mine was $32,750 with new clutch installed. 2001 Carbon/Caramel with 20,700mi. when I purchased it. Otherwise, cherry condition....well, needed new tires that I had put on upon driving her home.

Not sure if that helps or not, but that was 10/2007.

Edit: And in some weird way I would think the warranty MIGHT be less valuable if you haven't had to use it. I know that doesn't seem to make sense, but just speculating.

In the end, it's all about the buyer and whether he/she puts a lot of monetary value in peace of mind.

Sounds to me like you need someone to tell you to just keep it. I'd be surprised if you can get over $30k for it with that mileage. Has Inspection II been done or any parts of it?

·
Registered
723 Posts
also make sure that the warranty is transferable to a new owner. Not all warrantees will let you do that.

I'd think that you'd probably get about $25K for it. Not trying to insult you, but just being realistic in terms of what I've seen other M5's going for lately

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and here I was thinking that 60,000 was light mileage for a 2001. My 2004 X5 has 99,000 on it, but then it gets those long drives.

The warranty is fully transferable. That was something I checked when I bought it, oh so many moons ago.

My wife wants me to keep the car ... saying that I'll never get another like it, etc. etc. Perhaps she is right (but I'd hate to tell her that).

I would never be insulted by a realistic view on value. It would be surprising though if the Kelly Blue Book Private Sale value is grossly overstated. Of course this is not a high volume car. I'll do some research.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
FWIW...My MY00 M5 was totaled in Dec. 07 it had 68k on the odo and the insurance company gave me a check for 30k.
Good Luck
S

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MCarRacr07 -- you wanted the specs ? not sure what you're looking for since so much is standard.

2001, 61k miles, carbon black, park distance control, fold down rear seat and the bmw upgraded stereo -- I think those were the only selectable options, everything else is standard i.e. included.

oh -- I installed the bmw phone and voice recognition as well, but it's the old at&t phone which I have not used in years after I switched to a gsm phone.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
MCarRacr07 -- you wanted the specs ? not sure what you're looking for since so much is standard.

2001, 61k miles, carbon black, park distance control, fold down rear seat and the bmw upgraded stereo -- I think those were the only selectable options, everything else is standard i.e. included.

oh -- I installed the bmw phone and voice recognition as well, but it's the old at&t phone which I have not used in years after I switched to a gsm phone.

LOL...sorry meant color combo...I had Carbon BLack/Caramel Executive Trim...I would like to try and replace her....though the other no cost options are nice as well.
Thanks
S

·
Registered
260 Posts
Based on having just bought a 2002 with the warranty and maintenance, with 74k miles, I would guess it's worth $25-27k in the current market. Maybe $29-$30k to the absolutely perfect buyer (i.e. just as in love with the color/options combo as you are), if it's totally immaculate. If you had some popular upgrades, those would also be worth something to the right buyer, but can be a turnoff to other buyers. If it's completely stock, it's probably easiest to sell.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Trust me.....I'm finding out how bad the market is right now as a seller for the e36 M3.

I have a 1998 M3 Sedan 5 speed Silver/Black with 78,515 miles bone stock that I am having a hard time getting rid of for a price that reflects the pure anal retentiveness that has been put into keeping the thing a WAY above average example of a limited production car.

There is no end to the emails I get telling me how I'm asking too much and this and that.

So I know what you're going through finding out your precious car isn't worth what you feel it should be. I'm basically going to have to give someone money to take my car!!! haha....I'd rather keep the car than do that, but you get the point. :haha:

I say just keep it...but that's just my $.02

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
if youre not in a rush, youll find theres an *** for every seat. value is a funny thing, and its varies with ppls perception of the item being sold. usually the seller, factors in time, energy, emotion, labour etc put into the car... and buyer doesnt have any of that, as theyre just about to begin that phase... so finding a person who has similar idea of worth is difficult. however, if you wait long enough you will find him/her.

one thing ive found is, if you want the quick sale you go to do a car broker hell give you the lowest price possible but you get cash instantly. if you want to wait, and find the 'right' buyer... put it on the forums. the ppl on the forums, are educated on the matter... know what a good car is, and what it should fetch. personally i would rather buy a car from an enthusiast who was anal and ocd about the car, over a person who just had as a lease and used it as a tool to get from one place to another. but thats just my opinion. take it for what it is...

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Trust me.....I'm finding out how bad the market is right now as a seller for the e36 M3.
The E46 M3 market has really had some significant change in the past few months as early cars have entered the teens, so that has influenced E36s imo. I've even seen a number of 2006 M3s on the market in the mid-30s just sitting there, so people with a pristine 2003 hoping to get 32k or such are just dreaming in this market as they find the market for their car is 7-8k lower than they think. In order to get top dollar for an E36 in today's market means you're going to have to find a collector interested in the car most likely. 18 months ago, one like you described might sell for $17k. In today's market if you had to sell it right away, it'd probably be more like 13k?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Kelly Blue Book private party sale shows the car worth 29,000 and change. Here's the thing -- I purchased the top-end Easycare Warranty through my BMW dealier
As a buyer, a second-party warranty means nothing to me. Seriously. There are deductibles, rules, exclusions, more rules, some are non-transferable and often these companies simply go out of business. Your "easycare" may be great and all that, but to me I wouldn't give you any extra money for it.

That said, I think that 29K is probably high as well. So...

Just keep the car. You'll kick yourself later for selling it anyway.

HTH,

Michael

1 - 20 of 28 Posts