BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of making a few sets of hi-flow throttle bodies and tuned velocity stacks. Of course they would render dyno proven results without breaking the bank like the only other choice currently available.

I currently have a couple OEM sets available to experiment with.

What are the thoughts on boring TBs and making VS? :typing:

·
Registered
797 Posts
GL. I can't wait to hear more.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
You're going to need a lathe and a mill. CNC would be preferred. :haha:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're going to need a lathe and a mill. CNC would be preferred. :haha:
We are already on it. :cool2: Think people would jump on these for around 2k?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Aaron, how about some smaller TBs and VSs? I want to reduce my HP a little as this car is kind of a beast.. :(

HAHA. Just kidding! :tonquesmilie: I'd love some extra horses given they are affordable.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aaron, how about some smaller TBs and VSs? I want to reduce my HP a little as this car is kind of a beast.. :(

HAHA. Just kidding! :tonquesmilie: I'd love some extra horses given they are affordable.
hiha Sure! Those cost double!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
We are already on it. :cool2: Think people would jump on these for around 2k?
I think that would depend (for me anyway) mostly on what the results would be. How much HP will TB's and VS's get you by themselves? How much does software cost to optimize it. What are the results with headers or the ESS kit? Those are the questions I'd be asking.

I don't think that the stock parts restrict airflow on a stock engine, or if they do, not much. So what mods are required to take advantage of this?

You might get a couple buyers because of the cool factor, but if you can't see them, how do you know they are there? Now if you ship a clear airbox cover with them, you'll sell a crap load. :noSMG:

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Subscribed Aaron....For velocity stacks, would you do milled aluminum shorties or the milled OEM's ala Dinan's? You know that I might be interested. I must 1st however rob a bank or prostitute myself on the corner since I have gone completely mad as of late with parts.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Subscribed Aaron....For velocity stacks, would you do milled aluminum shorties or the milled OEM's ala Dinan's? You know that I might be interested. I must 1st however rob a bank or prostitute myself on the corner since I have gone completely mad as of late with parts.
I could always help you out by taking that clutch off your hands...

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Subscribed Aaron....For velocity stacks, would you do milled aluminum shorties or the milled OEM's ala Dinan's?

or use composites and design new setups!!!! oh, right. price.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most likely just going to take and mill OEM stacks and stock throttle bodies bored to a larger internal diameter. :cool:

Reactions: havasusteve03Beast

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
IIRC the shorty stacks actually decreased power...If Forced induction it doesn't matter anyway...

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
IIRC the shorty stacks actually decreased power...If Forced induction it doesn't matter anyway...

[very] generally, long stack length will net you better bottom-end power with lower resonance frequencies, with the shorter stacks gaining up top. there are plenty of online equations to play with that take into account diameters and other engine dynamics that play a role.

EDIT: had my short/long reversed wrt to power/tq gains.

so, FI cars would still benefit by gaining power in the low range before the SC starts getting into "real" boost.

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
True, but I believe the guys at D/A said that with proper tuning, the short stacks loss of low end torque could be compensated for...
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Yes you have! :rofl:

·
Registered
797 Posts
I must 1st however rob a bank or prostitute myself on the corner...
That explains my shortage of parts. Can't see the wife happy either way, but I think I'll try bank robbery first. :eek:h:

dj

·
Registered
295 Posts
Velocity stacks

Thinking of making a few sets of hi-flow throttle bodies and tuned velocity stacks. Of course they would render dyno proven results without breaking the bank like the only other choice currently available.

I currently have a couple OEM sets available to experiment with.

I'm interested... Would they make 31 extra horsepower (Dinan) or is that a ridiculous claim from them? When will they be available?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
This is not true. Just as in N/A applications, longer runners will provide more low end power with forced induction; short runners will provide more top end power. You're still modifying the pressure pulses as they enter the engine; why would it be any different?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts