BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished a LS swap into my 528i this past summer and had driven the car for a few months before I ran into a deer last weekend. While the damage is minimal, insurance will total the car. That said I've been going back and forth between two options.

1. Buy an M5 and turn my LS 528i into a more track oriented car
or
2. Buy a different E39 and transfer my LS drivetrain into it.

So my question is are there reasonable upgrades that will get the M5 into the 450 Rwhp range without forced induction? The engine in my car is currently stock and probably putting 340 rwhp. Even though that was fun, it just was not enough. Investing $2000 into the engine could easily get me to my goal of ~450 rwhp while still being very reliable.

Are there such options for the M5? are there members here putting out such numbers on N/A cars?

here by the way is my car before the fateful encounter with Bambi.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
450 whp NA? Not really so much.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
IMHO, the 400hp out of the S62 will feel more fun and more fast than 450HP out of an LSx. It just comes down to powerband and overall engineering. Personally I prefer the delivery of the S62 as opposed to big american V8s. Both have their virtues though. I would test drive an M5 and if you like it, get one. If its lacking in power - get an E39 (or E36) to drop the LS drivetrain into.

Although I will say, with cams, tuned intake, headers, forged internals and a higher rev limit, you could probably get 450 out of an S62. BUT it would not be reliable and I wouldnt recommend DDing such a high strung engine.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMHO, the 400hp out of the S62 will feel more fun and more fast than 450HP out of an LSx. It just comes down to powerband and overall engineering.
I completely disagree with you on that but I did not start the thread to compare the two engines because we know where that would end up.

My question is how can I extract the most juice out of an S62 at a reasonable cost, if at all possible. I don't think there is a better place to ask that question than here so Im welcoming more comments please.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
A full built S62 n/a will put down about 480ish,490ish...
At about 15-20k$ cost...

Or 10k$ for ESS supercharger kit....

Bottom line,as often discussed here,n/a S62s that are powerful are expensive.

Oh and BTW,450-460hp S62s are not less reliable than 400hp ones....

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Your question has basically been answered.

450 at the wheels for = or > $2,000 isn't going to happen.

edit: It's not possible and as Vantaam has mentioned it isn't cheap.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Awesome swap. Did you do a writeup or a build diary? Sorry to hear about the deer...

As others have said, $ for $ the S62 is nowhere near the LSx in terms of N/A power for mods. BMW built a technological tour-de-force, but the GM pushrod V-8s are just so plentiful and parts are dirt cheap in comparison.

The E39 M5 has an incredibly nice interior, even versus other E39s (and especially compared to an F-body), so maybe you could look into getting one with a blown motor/rod bearing problems. However, I see you used a V-6 based E39 chassis for your swap - as you may or may not be aware, the 540 and M5 use a different steering setup, so your swap may not fit without tweaking. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My "other" automotive hobby background is with 3rd and 4th gen camaro/firebirds. The LSx is a great platform to mod, especially now that you have a running and driving setup already. (the hard part) Pull the engine and build it! Like they said, both have their virtues and drawbacks. For what your looking to do you only have to look at a few for each: BMW S62 engine very expensive to build (parts etc.) LSx very "cheap" to build AND there is much more to gain n/a with the GM versus the BMW.

No question, my vote is for the LSx.

I also agree with matt13, the M5 has nicer features and stronger bracing under the car ( I think) to help support higher power levels. On the other hand, you can pick up a 528i for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My "other" automotive hobby background is with 3rd and 4th gen camaro/firebirds. The LSx is a great platform to mod, especially now that you have a running and driving setup already. (the hard part) Pull the engine and build it! Like they said, both have their virtues and drawbacks. For what your looking to do you only have to look at a few for each: BMW S62 engine very expensive to build (parts etc.) LSx very "cheap" to build AND there is much more to gain n/a with the GM versus the BMW.

No question, my vote is for the LSx.

I also agree with matt13, the M5 has nicer features and stronger bracing under the car ( I think) to help support higher power levels. On the other hand, you can pick up a 528i for pretty cheap.
good post

my vote would be pull your motor, build it for some real HP and then put it in a M5 w blown motor for cheap.

better chassis and supporting hardware with a motor the S62 only wishes it could be :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
So my question is are there reasonable upgrades that will get the M5 into the 450 Rwhp range without forced induction? The engine in my car is currently stock and probably putting 340 rwhp. Even though that was fun, it just was not enough. Investing $2000 into the engine could easily get me to my goal of ~450 rwhp while still being very reliable.

Are there such options for the M5? are there members here putting out such numbers on N/A cars?
450whp S62 possible? Yes.

At a reasonable cost? Hell no.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
He was talking about 450whp n/a....

Not this fancy s/c stuff....(me jealous a bit:grinyes:)..
Actually I was going to put N/A in there..... Ascari style.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
No proof they really have and no way to fit these headers and airbox into an E39...
You're probably right about the packaging into the E39 but why do you dispute their power figures?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Guys!! we are forgetting Dinan has a Stroker motor all NA built for a Z8... 600 + crank so your well into the 450+ rwhp range... the catch is the $100,000 it cost... includes all S2 goodies... $2k is a far cry my friend...

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
You're probably right about the packaging into the E39 but why do you dispute their power figures?

There is no proof around that they have this sort of power....
No dyno sheets,nothing...
I highly doubt a non stroker Vanos equipped S62 delivers that power...

This is why I am very sceptically...

Do not get me wrong,this is no offense against Ascari,in fact I love their cars...

I do believe their 520HP,but not really the 625HP...

But I know how hard it is to extract n/a power from these cars...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts