BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i'm thinking of buying an e63 in 2014, I have about 50k to spend and I want one with no more than 40k miles. What are some things I should be looking for or asking when it comes to m6's (first bmw btw) second, i've heard a lot of horror stories with the SMG tranny but a true manual is impossible to find in the bay area. Is it truly that bad? Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Listen, the SMG can be a pleasant experience or completely horrific depending on how the previous owner(s) drove it. You want to make sure you find out how rough/hard the car has been driven before purchase. Mines a 2010 but the previous owner was some CEO who just drove it conservatively (meaning he didn't red line the engine every time he drove it). Still to date, no SMG related issues at all, and its probably because of how well the car was taken care of.

Second thing which is the most important is buying an M6 already with a good coverage warranty. If it already doesn't come with it, I would highly suggest putting aside 5k from your budget for that.

It all boils down to maintenance on these cars and how you drive. Everyone has different driving habits. If you drive moderately and baby the car, there will hardly be any serious issues.

Hope this sheds some light for you and other potential M6 buyers.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks batth I really appreciate it! In California they don't offer extended warranty sadly, so if I bought one its very rare they are still in warranty. So I've been kicking around the idea of buying a new m3 sedan instead. I love the v10 m6 but I'm afraid I of SMG issues. And because it would be from a used car dealership, I won't know how hard the car was previously driven.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the PM batth I cant respond because I don't have enough posts yet! If you could do that with me I'd appreciate it as I don't know everything about m6's! The m3 is out of the question because it's too small and I'm 6'4"! Its either an m6 or a panamera but I really really want an m6! Do you have a warranty on your m6?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Any dealership should offer warranty on M6, I got my drive train platinum warranty for 3 years 30k miles for about 2k, if you get a full all around warranty that covers even electrical, cooling, and etc etc, for 3 years 36k miles would cost you around 4-5k.

As for the SMG issues... A lot of it comes down to maintenance on it my friend... I'll point out a simple fact, I highly doubt BMW would design a high performance car with superb engine and give it a ****ty clutch/tranny... the problem is just knowing how to maintain them...

I've been looking around lately because I want to trade my 2006 M6 with 62k miles SMG for a 2009-2010 model, and I've found a really good one thats 2010, only 31k miles, SMG, black on black, with HUD, soft close doors for like 47k I believe. I am sure you negotiate a little and probably do something like 45k + tax and license, and just make sure you add the warranty.

Any by the way... My beast's clutch is absolutely fine, bleeding it every time along with your regular oil change helps a lot, see with a manual, the clutch doesn't use up so quickly because its spring separated, but for SMG, since it is electrical, it tends to wear out a little faster, but as long as you keep the clutch oil clean, it should help you prevent any huge repair bills. Coming from a Master Tech, he straight up told me, If M5/M6 owners knows how to maintain them, our clutch are supposed to last 100-125k miles, not 50-75k...

And for SMG, the biggest issue is the SMG pump... so most of the times, you don't really need to replace the whole SMG Tranny, just the pump, and you shouldn't have to pay a huge bill for just that...

Good luck shopping for a beast and I would definitely recommend you to go with M6... Unless you are getting a Panamera S or Turbo

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you drink! You made some very valid points I'd really prefer an m6 over the panamera because I love the v-10 and I'd like to save the cash overall. If I can get a warranty, I forsure will! I just need to find the right m6 to buy!

·
Registered
54 Posts
You are very welcome!

Just remember, what you are looking after is an one of a kind Beast... I highly doubt BMW will ever bring back the V10 in the market, So what you are after is a dying breed... That is the only reason why I made up my mind to find a 2009-2010, with as low mileage possible, and just keep it... They only made a total of 3700 of these from 2006 to 2010 on SMG, and only about 1600 of them on manual...

As time goes by, these would be hard and harder to find...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hey The1stWright,

e-mail me the location you want to meet up at. I'm free tomorrow so I can show you the ins and outs of the car and my experience of owning one for 2 years.

What drinkmaker stated is absolutely correct. Two words to sum up everything --> Proper Maintenance.

Reactions: The1stWright

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,518 Posts
I would also add two more words: rod bearings.

Without proper maintenance, you will need to replace your rod bearings. Both the s85 and s65 suffer from the same issue.

With that said, my first set of rod bearings lasted 82,000 miles, and I'm 13,000 miles into my second set of rod bearings.

Also, if can you stay ahead of your maintenance, your s85 can be trouble free. I let my warranty expire 54,000 miles ago. Now I'm at 104,000 miles and never had an issue. Take care of her, and she will take care of you.

Good luck in your search! The howl of the v10 is intoxicating!!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I let my warranty expire 54,000 miles ago. Now I'm at 104,000 miles and never had an issue. Take care of her, and she will take care of you.

Good luck in your search! The howl of the v10 is intoxicating!!!

That is crazy! Great to hear that your M5s are treating you that well :M5thumbs:

With that garage (all those M5s), you truly are entitled to M5 Guru status!

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Batth email me [email protected] i'd love to do that as I have a lot of questions about the m6! Thanks fifty-two and drink! I 've loved this car from the moment I test drove one a few years back! I'd love the chance to own one and now after talking with you guys it's official this is what I want!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Batth email me [email protected] i'd love to do that as I have a lot of questions about the m6! Thanks fifty-two and drink! I 've loved this car from the moment I test drove one a few years back! I'd love the chance to own one and now after talking with you guys it's official this is what I want!

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,518 Posts
Some v10 music for your ears...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...121-i-love-roar-our-s85s-post-your-clips.html

The good and the bad about this Board...

The good: all the wealth of information!

The bad: all the enablers!

Congrats in advance!

·
Registered
687 Posts
The v-10 is like (insert your favorite addictive drug here). A little taste and you are hooked forever! Just be patient and find the right car and keep it. They are so worth it!

:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I drove one once and every since then I knew exactly what I wanted the only thing holding me back was reliability and the lack of warranty

·
Registered
2016 750i, 2010 M6
144 Posts
2010 w/ 19,000 miles...Mint, full leather, SMG, every option, LED angel eyes, carbon lip, new tires and more...(Evolve tune, etc.) ImageUploadedByAG Free1410030738.001898.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1410030760.671681.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1410030775.573499.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1410030786.468776.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1410030829.603944.jpg . I'm thinking of moving into an R8. Pm if interested and I'll send you more pics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: irishbimmer

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey roho I can't PM because I don't have enough posts but can you email me [email protected] so we can talk about it.

·
Registered
2016 750i, 2010 M6
144 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not to be forward or inconsiderate, but I would also like some information about your M6 Roho3323. I am unable to PM due to low post count. My e-mail is [email protected]. I will stand next in line behind the OP :) I apologize if this came across as being rude.

Jace

·
Registered
61 Posts
just curious what are you looking for, smg or 6-speed and what color are on your list?I have a 2008 six speed with 19000 miles..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts