BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

does anybody of you have any experience which you can share with me???
We are going to Nurburgring in August which could lead to some interesting test moule pictures... :hihi: :rolleyes:

Due to my analoguos system I am somewhat biased towards NIKON..
Thank you very much in advance!!
dorsel

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ycchan said:
Check out nikonians.org

Theres a comparison between the D70 and Canon's 20D
Thank you very much!! :cheers: :cheers:
I will check it out...
dorsel

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bayerischemotor said:
Get a Canon! D20.
Nice camera indeed... UNFORTUNATELY I have complete set of Nikon lenses
ouich and furthermore I am quite satisfied with them... :thumbsup: :haha:

dorsel

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
dorsel said:
Nice camera indeed... UNFORTUNATELY I have complete set of Nikon lenses
ouich and furthermore I am quite satisfied with them... :thumbsup: :haha:

dorsel

Its a very good camera.. good price/quality ratio.. and with lenses ready it will be pretty cheap to hop into the digital photo age ;) go for it..

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taipan said:
Its a very good camera.. good price/quality ratio.. and with lenses ready it will be pretty cheap to hop into the digital photo age ;) go for it..
Thank you !! So it might become :2: :2: as soon as my company pays the yearly premium... if the do :haha2: :M5thumbs:
dorsel

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I cant speak to the Canon but I think the D70 is a really great D-SLR body. I have a few friends with them and I would have gotten this instead of the D1x if it were available since my level is below the D1x. That said- its been a few years that the D70 is on the market, and I would think (hope) that they will have a followup for it much like they have done with the D2x. I am waiting to replace my D1x with a D70 followup at some point as Id like more pixels for larger prints. If it must be now and you already have the Nikon lenses, I do think the D70 is a very nice camera- Id try to get a discount. Good luck!

[whoops! My comments apply not to the D70; but to the D100. I didn't realize Nikon came out with an even less expensive camera and from what I can see it looks like you'd be hard pressed to pick a D100 over a D70- see:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70.htm#intro ]

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
dorsel, did you go and buy the D70 eventually? I am now myself considering buying the D70S which is the newer model.. however only have experience with the D70 and was wondering does anybody know whether its worth the extra (200e over here) to the get the "S"? it appears that the most noticeable difference is a bigger ld screen at the back?

·
2,941 Posts
Taipan said:
dorsel, did you go and buy the D70 eventually? I am now myself considering buying the D70S which is the newer model.. however only have experience with the D70 and was wondering does anybody know whether its worth the extra (200e over here) to the get the "S"? it appears that the most noticeable difference is a bigger ld screen at the back?

No, it's not. The sensor is the same. The only differences are :

1: A 2,0" LCD screen for the D70s (1,8" for the D70)
2: D70s Operates with a new firmware release.

However, Nikon released the V2.00 firmware ugrade to enhance the D70 to D70s functionality except the 2,0" LCD screen. I have a D70 since July 2004 and am extremely happy with it. I don' really need the 8.2Mpix sensor of the EOS-20D which is a fine camera, but the D70 is almost as good for lot less money. It makes more sense to invest in a better lense(s).

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
raymond woertman said:
No, it's not. The sensor is the same. The only differences are :

1: A 2,0" LCD screen for the D70s (1,8" for the D70)
2: D70s Operates with a new firmware release.

However, Nikon released the V2.00 firmware ugrade to enhance the D70 to D70s functionality except the 2,0" LCD screen. I have a D70 since July 2004 and am extremely happy with it. I don' really need the 8.2Mpix sensor of the EOS-20D which is a fine camera, but the D70 is almost as good for lot less money. It makes more sense to invest in a better lense.
thanks raymond for your reply.. there also seems to be a new d50 for sale, and its even cheaper, but it seems its not so well made (build qualitywise) and takes sd not Cf cards.. it also has less buttons to control settings, ie you need to go to setup to do these. dont like. It seems I will go with the D70.. seems like it is the bargain priced version of the three.. and also the store has it on stock so I will get it immediately.

will one battery be enough? and is a 512MB card enough? the 1GB seems a bit too expensive, although it mightr be useful..

·
2,941 Posts
Taipan said:
will one battery be enough? and is a 512MB card enough? the 1GB seems a bit too expensive, although it mightr be useful..
One battery is enough. In contrary to bon DSLR camera's, the LCD screen won't beon that much and the CCD sensor will onl be active when the shutter is released. It is not uncommon for me to shoot 500pics on one battery.

Go for the 1GByte version (Sandisk Extreme III). This type as a write speed of 20Mbyte/sec which is fast enough for continous (3frames/sec) shooting in raw mode.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all,
I did buy the D70 at the end of april in order to go well with my older lenses.
I must admit it is a hell of a camera which allready recieved the firmware update.

This is really is easy to recieve by registering at nikon.com via download. Afterwards you have to copy the files on the cf-card an the camera will do the rest.

Basically, it offers a more precise picture counter and a new desktop. It says that the autofocus might become faster and more precise by this update. But I can´t see a difference so far.

I don´t like the fix programs on the camera since they have some strange priorities to my liking. I still use most of the settings I used with my former F801s.

Overall, I really like this camera. To be honest, I don´t miss my former dia positives.... :2:
best regards
dorsel

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
thanks guys for the comments.. Tomorrow I will probably know what it will be :) will probably post somehting then ;)

at this moment it's either the D70 or the D50.. just thinking whether the money of 200e should go to something like a lens, although the kit comes with 18-55mm lens, and I have a 300mm tele lens from a regular SLR ready..

·
2,941 Posts
Taipan said:
thanks guys for the comments.. Tomorrow I will probably know what it will be :) will probably post somehting then ;)

at this moment it's either the D70 or the D50.. just thinking whether the money of 200e should go to something like a lens, although the kit comes with 18-55mm lens, and I have a 300mm tele lens from a regular SLR ready..
Don't go for the D50. The metering sensor only has 420 segments whereas the D70 and D70s have 1005 segments. Besides, the D50's max shutter speed is 1/4000 (D70: 1/8000). Check out This review on dpreview for a specification comparison between the D50 and D70.

You don't want the 18-55mm kit lense. It has enough wide angle, but tele is a little short, especially when shooting on tracks. For starters, I personally recommend the Nikkor AF-S 18-70mm 3.5-4.5. This lense has the wide angle range, but offers more tele range. For the money, the 18-70mm is a very good performer and you have the AF-S which focusses really fast.

I wouldn't choose a lense with a wider zoon range like the 24-120 or the 18-125 from Sigma as the largest aperture opening depends to much on the focal range. 18-70mm is perfect for almost any shooting conditions. If you need more tele range, I would personally choose an additional 80-200mm or 70-200mm lense.

If you are interested. Here are some pictures that I shot during a recent visit to the Nordschleife in April. Note that the whether wasn't that good (rainy and cloudy). More picture samples can be found Here

·
Registered
262 Posts
i'm likin' my D70 a lot. it's only been about a month old. it came with the latest firmware. was also mulling over whether to get the d70 or d70s. really all you get at this point is the slightly bigger LCD but who looks thru that on a dslr camera? keep the LCD off and the battery will last long. after ~300 shots, the battery still have 3 bars.

-joe

·
Registered
165 Posts
save your $200 on the D70s, and get a D70. Upgrade it in 1.5 years to the next gen machines. The D70 is a great workhorse - just needs a little TLC to meter accurately sometimes.

Stu

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
bought it :) the seller wouldnt give a GB card, but only 512MB, but I will purchase one later.. it doesnt really matter, because I can move the pics to the computer pretty fast and now its more of getting to know the camera from top to bottom.. wont be using the auto thingo too much, want to use the other more exact controls. always hated auto.. But Im off to fiddle with it..
:) thanks for your help and will ask if something pops in mind

1 - 20 of 46 Posts