BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So im thinking of buying this 2008 e60 i saw in California. Mint condition about 30k miles. I just have a few questions before i buy it financial wise.
1. How much is dmv yearly registration?
2. What MPG am i looking at?
3. Ive done research and heard about vanos pump, rod barings, burning oil, etc... with low miles when should i start worrying about all that?
4.Finally, I want to put an exhaust system later down the road. Something that sounds really nice and organic but not too loud and annoying. Please help!

·
Registered
99 Posts
1. How much is dmv yearly registration? maybe someone in Cali can answer this since I think its different in each state.
2. What MPG am i looking at? Heavy on the pedal 8-10mpg. Light on pedal between 12-18mpg on highway I've noticed.
3. I've done research and heard about vanos pump, rod bearings, burning oil, etc... with low miles when should i start worrying about all that? Honestly from everything I've seen.....no but burning oil one is common. For piece of mind rod bearings but you have such low miles I don't think you should worry about that so much.
4.Finally, I want to put an exhaust system later down the road. Something that sounds really nice and organic but not too loud and annoying. Please help! If you want something not loud or annoying, Dinan. I had a Dinan muffler its quiet at low rpms and gives it a nice tone at WOT. FCP Euro is having a sale on Dinan mufflers for ~$1700 Another option is valvetronic cutouts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. How much is dmv yearly registration? maybe someone in Cali can answer this since I think its different in each state.
2. What MPG am i looking at? Heavy on the pedal 8-10mpg. Light on pedal between 12-18mpg on highway I've noticed.
3. I've done research and heard about vanos pump, rod bearings, burning oil, etc... with low miles when should i start worrying about all that? Honestly from everything I've seen.....no but burning oil one is common. For piece of mind rod bearings but you have such low miles I don't think you should worry about that so much.
4.Finally, I want to put an exhaust system later down the road. Something that sounds really nice and organic but not too loud and annoying. Please help! If you want something not loud or annoying, Dinan. I had a Dinan muffler its quiet at low rpms and gives it a nice tone at WOT. FCP Euro is having a sale on Dinan mufflers for ~$1700 Another option is valvetronic cutouts.
Thank you so much for that info! How ironic, I just checked out your post and the M5 i wanna buy is almost identical as yours expect the rims arent painted.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
in CA registration is based on value of the car. First they take their cut in a sales tax, which makes no sense how to me how they can get away with taxing a used item every time it's sold again. But that's a separate discussion. That will be at whatever your county tax rate is. The registration fee is then based on car value - for a $25K car this comes out around $400 ish per year and goes down each year as the car declines in value based on some formula the DMV uses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in CA registration is based on value of the car. First they take their cut in a sales tax, which makes no sense how to me how they can get away with taxing a used item every time it's sold again. But that's a separate discussion. That will be at whatever your county tax rate is. The registration fee is then based on car value - for a $25K car this comes out around $400 ish per year and goes down each year as the car declines in value based on some formula the DMV uses.

I know its crazy how much California taxes and even on stuff like this. Thank you for that info man.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
1. How much is dmv yearly registration? In CA is roughly ~$400/year for me...but its been $32 the past three years registered as non-operational lol - see #3 below
2. What MPG am i looking at? when i was driving it daily, i averaged 7mpg to 10mpg with bolt-ons, catless headers, tune and a heavy foot
3. Ive done research and heard about vanos pump, rod barings, burning oil, etc... with low miles when should i start worrying about all that? honestly, all of these items should be top of mind the exact moment you get the keys in hand. if these items havent already been replaced as preventative maintenance (with detailed documentation) then it should be done immediately or it will eventually come to bite you in the butt. item by item ive had all these things fail on me over the 10 years ive owned mine and im still under 80k miles!
4.Finally, I want to put an exhaust system later down the road. Something that sounds really nice and organic but not too loud and annoying. Please help! strongly suggest you try a muffler delete first, decide if you want to keep it that way. most people who spend $3,000 on mufflers are doing it for the name and bragging rights, muffler delete on these cars sound almost identical to most catback options lol (imo)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Expect a 10K first year investment based upon what you stated you want to do and also the "for sure" unknown maint you will discover in your first 90 days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1. How much is dmv yearly registration? In CA is roughly ~$400/year for me...but its been $32 the past three years registered as non-operational lol - see #3 below
2. What MPG am i looking at? when i was driving it daily, i averaged 7mpg to 10mpg with bolt-ons, catless headers, tune and a heavy foot
3. Ive done research and heard about vanos pump, rod barings, burning oil, etc... with low miles when should i start worrying about all that? honestly, all of these items should be top of mind the exact moment you get the keys in hand. if these items havent already been replaced as preventative maintenance (with detailed documentation) then it should be done immediately or it will eventually come to bite you in the butt. item by item ive had all these things fail on me over the 10 years ive owned mine and im still under 80k miles!
4.Finally, I want to put an exhaust system later down the road. Something that sounds really nice and organic but not too loud and annoying. Please help! strongly suggest you try a muffler delete first, decide if you want to keep it that way. most people who spend $3,000 on mufflers are doing it for the name and bragging rights, muffler delete on these cars sound almost identical to most catback options lol (imo)

is muffler delete same as resinators? can I put them back if I dont like the sound?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
is muffler delete same as resinators? can I put them back if I dont like the sound?
muffler delete is just the rear mufflers themselves. nothing else. if you take it to a really good exhaust shop, they can create an easy set up for you where you can revert back to stock w/o hacking things up too much.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Electric exhaust cutouts are a great option for muffler deletes (there are many... I have QTPs).
100% reversible at the touch of a button.
This can be good for quieter time needs like early morning startups/late night returns and/or for passing emissions inspections.

·
Registered
717 Posts
So im thinking of buying this 2008 e60 i saw in California. Mint condition about 30k miles. I just have a few questions before i buy it financial wise.
1. How much is dmv yearly registration?
2. What MPG am i looking at?
3. Ive done research and heard about vanos pump, rod barings, burning oil, etc... with low miles when should i start worrying about all that?
4.Finally, I want to put an exhaust system later down the road. Something that sounds really nice and organic but not too loud and annoying. Please help!
My tip is don't buy it and find a 6MT. You wont have an SMG problem.. guaranteed!

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
thanks for the tip - I just ordered one! $1750 on clearance. Great deal - $250 off, even when Dinan does do a sale it's normally 10% and I haven't seen one of those in awhile.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,263 Posts
thanks for the tip - I just ordered one! $1750 on clearance. Great deal - $250 off, even when Dinan does do a sale it's normally 10% and I haven't seen one of those in awhile.
My Dinan Section 3 from when I was stock Section 1 and 2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts