BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to decide if I want to do this, buy a Silverstone 2000 Dinan S2 with 54K miles, here is a quick list of the mods.

Full dinan S2 package
20" RD Sport rims and factory alloys
Hamann front splitter
RD sport side skirts
Hamann rear diffuser
Aftermarket stereo
new brakes and rotors
tinted windows.
UUC SSK
DVD based Nav with the widescreen

The main things holding me back is the 2000 model year and the Silverstone color.

If I end up buying this one then I will have bought 3 M5's in less then 2 years!!

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why not just upgrade your current to S2?

madyspop said:
I am trying to decide if I want to do this, buy a Silverstone 2000 Dinan S2 with 54K miles, here is a quick list of the mods.

Full dinan S2 package
20" RD Sport rims and factory alloys
Hamann front splitter
RD sport side skirts
Hamann rear diffuser
Upgraded stereo
tinted windows.

The main things holding me back is the 2000 model year and the Silverstone color.

If I end up buying this one then I will have bought 3 M5's in less then 2 years!!

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about that, but its $27K for the kit and some crazy amount of hours to do the install. If I buy this one I will be getting the S2 that someone already paid for.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gustav, please explain why you wouldn't do the switch?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Please don't do this. I personally would not for a number of reasons:

Exterior:
The imola you have is such a cool color for the M5. I have a Ti Silver and love it but when I see a Imola with tint such as yours it just looks bad a~&.

Performance:
Okay you get a huge increase in performance but I never like to buy a car that has been heavily modded for performance because it means that the prev owner definately drove it much harder than a normal stock and especially with the 00 with all the Vanos issues and oil consump. issues that can arise. You also could expect there be some issues that you could encounter later by the mods such as the S2 that crop up. At the end of the day you will have no one to turn to but yourself to get these issues fixed. A least if you did the process yourself(I know it is $27K) then at least you can work with Dinan on the issues seeign that it will be under some warranty.

I agree it is probably not worth spending $27K for S2 if you are not ready to shell that kind of money out. Just take the beast for what it is now or just keep your beast or sell it and bit the bullet and order the E60 M5, which will garuntee to give you a uglier look (LOL) but more than you can expect in terms of performance and not to mention a better warranty.

Also lets not forget your modding mindset won't stop, once you get it you will want to shell out more money to mod it somemore, etc.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
bimmer23 said:
Please don't do this. I personally would not for a number of reasons:

Exterior:
The imola you have is such a cool color for the M5. I have a Ti Silver and love it but when I see a Imola with tint such as yours it just looks bad a~&.

Performance:
Okay you get a huge increase in performance but I never like to buy a car that has been heavily modded for performance because it means that the prev owner definately drove it much harder than a normal stock and especially with the 00 with all the Vanos issues and oil consump. issues that can arise. You also could expect there be some issues that you could encounter later by the mods such as the S2 that crop up. At the end of the day you will have no one to turn to but yourself to get these issues fixed. A least if you did the process yourself(I know it is $27K) then at least you can work with Dinan on the issues seeign that it will be under some warranty.

I agree it is probably not worth spending $27K for S2 if you are not ready to shell that kind of money out. Just take the beast for what it is now or just keep your beast or sell it and bit the bullet and order the E60 M5, which will garuntee to give you a uglier look (LOL) but more than you can expect in terms of performance and not to mention a better warranty.

Also lets not forget your modding mindset won't stop, once you get it you will want to shell out more money to mod it somemore, etc.

S2 is faster than the new E60 m5 though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got off the phone with the owner of the car. He gave me all the info on the car and it sounds like he did it right. He also changed the nav over to the DVD based unit with, TV and DVD, also has the widescreen.

He is going to the Dinan tech who did the install for him to have everything looked over. he also gave me the numbers to the dealership who has serviced the car as well as the tech who did the install.

I will most likely buy this car and end up keeping my 2001 and letting the lady drive it.

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
i don't think there'd be any concerns. What is the production date of the 00? If it's later than 3/00 there is no mechanical difference with your 01 anyway.
Nice that you can keep them both, that would make a nice garage.
Mike

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
madyspop said:
I will most likely buy this car and end up keeping my 2001 and letting the lady drive it.
That is how to treat a Lady!

David

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Well since you asked...

The problem for me would be that everything could check out fine and then 2 weeks into onwership the SES light could come and then you discover your car has the carbon build-up issue. At the very least I would find out how much oil the car burns. Since no one seems to know what causes the carbon issue (except maybe LLcool!) or what cars it will affect, I personally would avoid potential risk factors, e.g., buy a 2001+ that does not burn much oil.

With all that, S2s are fantastic! I hope you enjoy it!!

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
Well this soudns better. I was abvout to say lack of facelift and 16:9 navigation screen.

madyspop said:
Just got off the phone with the owner of the car. He gave me all the info on the car and it sounds like he did it right. He also changed the nav over to the DVD based unit with, TV and DVD, also has the widescreen.

He is going to the Dinan tech who did the install for him to have everything looked over. he also gave me the numbers to the dealership who has serviced the car as well as the tech who did the install.

·
Registered
291 Posts
madyspop said:

Well it seems as though you have a honest and upfront seller. I am sure everything will check out okay. If you can keep the 01 then definately GET IT. Even if you could not keep the 01 at least the way things are going I am sure the car would be a good buy.

How much is this person offering for the car ?

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
Trevize said:
As an '00 M5 owner with almost 60k miles, I've not had any oil burning issue, or vanos issues that you guys speak of. Anybody have a link to info I can enlighten myself on?

I just broke 69k on my 00 and it also does not burn oil. There was a piston ring design change in 2/00 production, but some earlier cars don't use oil and some later cars do use oil. Oil use is probably related to the carbon build up issue that has been posted on the board.
Mike

·
Registered
377 Posts
madyspop said:

If you can keep both,I'd do it also. Worse case, the 2000 doesn't pan out and you can sell it later. If it's as well cared for as it sounds, I wouldn't think you'd take a huge hit

·
Registered
837 Posts
How much is it? is it just a good deal or an outright steal? I would probably consider it, I wish my 01 had the S2 package already on it, Josh

1 - 20 of 32 Posts