BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So coming from a 2003 M3, (sold it back in 2008) it looks like I'm going to be stepping into an 2012 F10 M5, as being my sole car later this spring.

I need your advice on a few things.

I did not like the SMG on my old m3. I had all kinds of SMG pump issues.
Has BMW moved away from this platform ? :confused:

Is there a way to permanently stop the bmw on/off engine cut off that I see on many late models ? I personally don't think the stuck in traffic, shut down, then start up can be good for the turbo's ? :confused:

How are the turbo's cooled ? After hard driving, do I need to do a few slow kilometres to cool the turbo's down like the 911's ? :confused:

Can I get 3G internet via Satellite from bmw ? :confused:

Other than a thorough PPI done, is there anything specific to watch out for ?

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was one of the first guys in Toronto that had the 2012 F10 M5.
I pee ordered it, I had the jaguar xfr and e60 V10 M5 before that.
The new M5 is amazing.
U can turn on and off the start stop.
U don't need to cool down the turbos.
All you need is a nice after market exhaust and removing the charcoal filters!!
Good luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
*pre
The double clutch transmission is flawless doesn't compare the garbage smg I had in the E60.
3 G Internet is available on the 13 and 14 if I am not mistaken. I did not have it on the 12.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Car is great, flawless i would say. Transmission is much better, dont worry about the auto start/stop being bad or anything. If you simply dont like it, you can turn it off. Idk how the turbos are cooled, but i know that the car remains partially on, after you turned it off and has a few shut down stages. You cannot get internet on your devices if that's what you re asking, but the 2016 models, you should be able to and they will introduce 4G.

It's an awesome car, fast, comfortable, transmission is a gem. Bench mark for performance sedans, as always. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts