BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Long time reader, relatively new poster.

I am replacing my E60 530i (7/2006 US build) in Sept. I have, up to this time, had an order for a 2008 550i Sport, Carbon Black, Nat Brown, with most options on it on order for ED. However, the more I keep thinking, the more I am wanting to go the M5 route instead.

I am starting my own practice in Sept, so this car will be purchased through me but paid for by the practice. Additionally, it won't be that much more than what I am currently paying for my E60 (I learned a hard lesson on purchasing my first BMW....i.e. paid way too freakin much). So, I think that a M5 could be in my future.

I am thinking about Monaco Blue, Portland Brown (anyone have good pics of this interior), SMG, Premium Sound, CA, soft close doors, iPod/SAT, heated steering and rear seats.

Are the standard seats good? I can't get comfort seats in Portland (really like the contrast with Monaco).

MSRP is right aroun $88000. Anyone have any suggestions. What are these things leasing for right now around 30 month (plus or minus 6 months). I am not opposed to putting down max MSDs (currently have that on my X5). Thanks for the advice.

J

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Hey guys. Long time reader, relatively new poster.

I am replacing my E60 530i (7/2006 US build) in Sept. I have, up to this time, had an order for a 2008 550i Sport, Carbon Black, Nat Brown, with most options on it on order for ED. However, the more I keep thinking, the more I am wanting to go the M5 route instead.

I am starting my own practice in Sept, so this car will be purchased through me but paid for by the practice. Additionally, it won't be that much more than what I am currently paying for my E60 (I learned a hard lesson on purchasing my first BMW....i.e. paid way too freakin much). So, I think that a M5 could be in my future.

I am thinking about Monaco Blue, Portland Brown (anyone have good pics of this interior), SMG, Premium Sound, CA, soft close doors, iPod/SAT, heated steering and rear seats.

Are the standard seats good? I can't get comfort seats in Portland (really like the contrast with Monaco).

MSRP is right aroun $88000. Anyone have any suggestions. What are these things leasing for right now around 30 month (plus or minus 6 months). I am not opposed to putting down max MSDs (currently have that on my X5). Thanks for the advice.

J
Just understand that you do not want an m5. You need an M5.

I have the stadard seat b/c I could not fit a DVD system into the smaller headrests of the confort seats and that was important for me b/c I have two kids. They are great seats, but the comfort seats are nicer simply b/c you can adjust the angle of the backrest. This is really a matter of personal preference. If you don't think you need the added adjustment to be comfortable (I don't) get the color you want.

Personally, I never lease my cars. Long term, it does not make financial sense (unless there are promotional programs being run). However, my wife's car is always leased through her practice b/c it is more tax efficient. Just be sure that you know the sale price, residual value, money factor and other terms of the lease (e.g., mileage, bank charges, end of lease charges, etc.) so that you are comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is the very reason that I am leasing my cars. Tax benefit. Our X5 is currently leased (because of the promotional and OLP rates I could get). However, in two years we will get one of the diesels and I will purchase it outright.

I have thought about just financing the car through the practice, keeping it four years and selling. However, I get concerned about trying to move one of these on the market in four years (once warranty is up).

I have gotten very savvy about leasing in the year between getting screwed on my 530i and getting a GREAT deal on my X5. So, I understand those specifics. I guess my question should have been, what is reasonable to ask for over invoice on an ordered/ED M5?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Don't buy an M5 right now with the four-year intention of selling. You'll get nailed on two accounts: no CPO available for now so you'll be selling a car out of warranty/maintenance, and the new M5 will be just coming out about that time. My $0.02 on that thought of yours.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you went all the way through the process of ordering a 550 after having a 530 then you want a 550, not an M5.

The M5 is a beast and requires attention to drive properly.

The only reason I have owned an e39 and e60 M5 is because of the original 540 6 speed. I really wanted a fast sedan with a manual transmission. If you like having an auto then the 550 will suit you much better.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'd go for the M5. I went from e60 540i to a e60 550i and even then thought I needed more power....so hello M5 :D am very very happy now...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Look for my post this monday my 08 M5 has the color combo Monaco Blue with Portland!!lovelovelovelovelovelove

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have thought about just financing the car through the practice, keeping it four years and selling. However, I get concerned about trying to move one of these on the market in four years (once warranty is up).
My understanding is that you would not be able to finance the entire car under your practice. I believe that the practice could only pay for the actual milage used for work (excluding commute to and from work). Additionally the lease route is not perfect. As per my accountant there are specific tables that get applied to cars leased through businesses. Given the relatively high lease rate this car falls into the luxury category and would not allow the entire lease to be deducted (pre-tax). Specifically I have been advised that I would probably be about to apply about $800 per month pre-tax on the lease and the rest of the monthly lease would get paid post-tax dollars.

If any one has other thoughts on this I would be interested in hearing them.

DB

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not a M5, but here is a picture (albeit not a great one) of my M6 interior in Portland Brown. Great interior color choice in my opinion!

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just for the sheer pleasure of owning the best 4-door car on the planet go for the M5. It really is a practical supercar.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Avus,
Any pics? Come on, my work productivity is decreasing watching this thread...I still have patients to round on.

J

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Just for the sheer pleasure of owning the best 4-door car on the planet go for the M5. It really is a practical supercar.
Analysis Paralysis..........just do it. This is why doctor's have other people manage their practice. :hihi:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Must agree with the wizard of Oz on this one. :cheers:

I'd buy it too. Yes the new version will make it worth less, but I bought mine knowing that the new version would also make trading in my S85 that much less painful.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am talking to my CA now... I hope to have reached a good deal soon. Problem I am having is that I am wanting order one and the deals don't seem to be as sweet as if it is on the lot already...

As far as someone saying that I wanted an automatic, that isn't completely true. I like an autobox for stop and go traffic most of the time. However, I also like sticks. The problem with the stick, is that it is always three pedals. With the SMG, you kind of get the best (until the M-DCT on the next M5...if you believe rumors) of both worlds.

My $.02...

And you are right, that is why someone else needs to manage our practices!!!:biggrinbounce:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts