BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking about adding a sub to the trunk to improve the low-frequency output of the sound system. I found a custom subwoofer enclosure on Bavarian Autosport's website & catalog:

http://www.bavauto.com/lview.asp?imgfile=assets/imglib500/bf5series.jpg

This enclosure sits nicely on the right side of the trunk and doesn't take up too much room. It supports a 10" subwoofer and can be ordered with just the enclosure only, or with an integrated 10" driver, or with the 10" driver and amplifier. The enclosure alone is $359.

I would probably add my own 10" driver (most likely a JL Audio sub) and my own amplifier, as I'm unsure of the quality of the Bavauto product.

I could also go to a high-end car stereo shop and have them make a custom sub enclosure for me....would probably cost a bit more though. Any thoughts or suggestions?

One BIG question.....how do I integrate a subwoofer into the existing stock stereo? I have the Logic 7 system (not sure if that was an option or if it was a standard item on our car). I'm not sure if there are pre-amp input/outputs on the system and how a sub would integrate with the rest of the stereo.

Any help on this would be great! Just looking to get a bit more bass out of the system without going crazy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
My car puts out A LOT of bass so I don't really see the need for an additional sub. Have you played with all of the settings to increase the bass? I'm sure you have but just a thought. Out of all the things I would do to the car, the stereo is not one of them as it is more than adaquate, in fact I would say the stock stereo with Logic 7 is damn good from the factory.

·
Registered
160 Posts
+1
Stock sounds very good to me..
did you try to put the bass up and also the equalizer settings....hmm..
if that is not enough for you... then.. do it!!!!
and.. show us the custom job after you are done!!! :)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
you could add the sub and amp on the stock head unit...i had this done on my old 07 525i you can have it done but with the logic 7 you already have great sound and bass what more do you want? maybe you can try and amplify the stock subwoofers

·
Registered
740 Posts
IMO the logic 7 is lacking the Low Frequency Bass between 60 to 100hz... in addition the midrange is also lacking... the tweeter is pretty descent but could be better... No... I don't listen to hip-hop music, I listen classic rock and alternative rock, but logic 7 IMHO just doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
IMO the logic 7 is lacking the Low Frequency Bass between 60 to 100hz... in addition the midrange is also lacking... the tweeter is pretty descent but could be better... No... I don't listen to hip-hop music, I listen classic rock and alternative rock, but logic 7 IMHO just doesn't cut it.
extassy, I completely agree with you.....the Logic 7 is not bad for a stock audio system, but it definitely lacks low frequency bass.

I have the system adjusted properly....you don't want to over-drive the mid-bass speakers by simply turning up the bass and adjusting the EQ to have more low frequency reproduction....that will cause the system to sound terrible.

My idea of adding a subwoofer is to maintain a modest level of bass through the mid-bass speakers without over-driving them, and supplementing the system with a tight 10" subwoofer. I'm not looking to have a thumpin' system, like the kind that makes your license plate frame rattle! I just want a little more bass and a nicely integrated subwoofer seems like the best way to go.

If I go for the sub-enclosure from Baviarian Autosport, I plan on covering the enclosure with black Alcantera faux suede to match my headliner. I personally think it could look very tasteful, but I guess that's my opinion.

Again, I'm not sure how to "tap into" the factory Logic 7 system to connect the subwoofer so if anyone has any experience with this, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I installed 2 MC406 McIntosh Amps to power 1 10" JLW7 subwoofer with custom floating frame enclosure (no trunk rattles) and 7 channels MB Quartz... plus the 2 subwoofers under the front seats. The subwoofer box is channeled through a vent from the rear-center fold-down seat. It is a front firing system with sealed box which produces tight, focused bass. The most accurate bass response of all box types, but requires more power. The McIntosh amps helps produce a very clean power to all speakers. If you buy an integrated or commonly called powered subwoofer, you may not be able to get the sound into the cabin, instead it will rattle your trunk. I don't know if you are an audiophile, but even a little rattle would really bug me. To minimize that, I have Dyna-mat installed and also 1" thick Dyna-Pad to minimize the drone from my loud aftermarket exhaust.
I did not tap into the logic 7 since I bypassed the factory amps and used an Line Output Control and integrated digital equalizer (Audio control DQL-8). My suggestion is to get a good 8" or 10" sub-woofer and power it with a good mono subwoofer amp and tapped the frequency from the factory low frequncy amp (woofer amp) that powers the 2 woofers under the 2 front seats. It is located, I believe, behind the left panel of the trunk. For wirings, you should check the E60forums, where a member there had created a wiring chart that is similar to what you are looking for... I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Yes, I suggest you don't do it:nono: Enjoy the engine sound!:cheers:

·
Company Representative for Wheelpower
182 Posts
RussRamz has a good point, just turn up the engine volume with a set of headers, cats, x-pipe and exhaust

·
Registered
7 Posts
In europe there is a extra option to leave the Logic-7 out of the car, and replace it with the BMW Individual Audio system it is an extra prica of 2100 euro or about 2600 dollars in the US. I heard it has a subwoofer under every front chair and back seats. Does anybody have any experience with this?????

·
Registered
209 Posts
A lot may think the factory stereo is good enough, same way many people think the power of a 525 auto is enough...

The factory stereo is good for a stock setup, but there is much room for improvement. However, the stock speaker locations in the doors are positively terrible. The midrange is blocked by the doorhandle, and the near A-pillar tweeters aren't in an optimal location either. Plus, the midrange looks awfully tiny, maybe 4".

Wiring an aftermarket sub should be a piece of cake. The battery is already in the rear of the car, meaning running power cables to the amp will be easy. I would remove the ski sack door, and face a single 10" into the car. A good install shop (i.e. not best buy or circuit city or al+eds) should be able to install a box like that with the amp hidden, and with matching carpet (probably the same fabric from BMW)... it will all look factory.

Also, a JL W7 will probably overpower the factory speakers, a W6V2 should work more then okay. Also, 10" should be the min. size. 8" prob won't produce the lower frequency needed.

I installed 2 MC406 McIntosh Amps to power 1 10" JLW7 subwoofer with custom floating frame enclosure (no trunk rattles) and 7 channels MB Quartz... plus the 2 subwoofers under the front seats. The subwoofer box is channeled through a vent from the rear-center fold-down seat. It is a front firing system with sealed box which produces tight, focused bass. The most accurate bass response of all box types, but requires more power. The McIntosh amps helps produce a very clean power to all speakers. If you buy an integrated or commonly called powered subwoofer, you may not be able to get the sound into the cabin, instead it will rattle your trunk. I don't know if you are an audiophile, but even a little rattle would really bug me. To minimize that, I have Dyna-mat installed and also 1" thick Dyna-Pad to minimize the drone from my loud aftermarket exhaust.
I did not tap into the logic 7 since I bypassed the factory amps and used an Line Output Control and integrated digital equalizer (Audio control DQL-8). My suggestion is to get a good 8" or 10" sub-woofer and power it with a good mono subwoofer amp and tapped the frequency from the factory low frequncy amp (woofer amp) that powers the 2 woofers under the 2 front seats. It is located, I believe, behind the left panel of the trunk. For wirings, you should check the E60forums, where a member there had created a wiring chart that is similar to what you are looking for... I hope this is helpful.
Sounds like a great setup.. next time try some Focals, one of the only components I've ever liked more then MB Quart Q-series.

From my experience, I would recommend doing a free air subwoofer set up and amps on the floor. Have the subs mounted under the rear decklid under the rear windshield and have an audio shop build you an amp rack on the floor. When you do a enclosed set up, the bass seems to hit a little harder than the free air. (box - pounding bass | free air - evened out bass) Some examples from my friend's cars from TWCompetition (both are show cars).
Good idea mikey, but in my experience free-air subs sound awful, unless they are tuned to 100% perfection. In the case of that much hassle, it makes much more sense to use a normal sealed box. Usually free-air is utilized to save trunk space, in which case won't be that much unless a dual or triple sub setup is used. Also, the rear deck really needs to be dampened well to quell vibrations and rattles, which frequently appear after some amount of usage.

·
Registered
740 Posts
A lot may think the factory stereo is good enough, same way many people think the power of a 525 auto is enough...

The factory stereo is good for a stock setup, but there is much room for improvement. However, the stock speaker locations in the doors are positively terrible. The midrange is blocked by the doorhandle, and the near A-pillar tweeters aren't in an optimal location either. Plus, the midrange looks awfully tiny, maybe 4".

Wiring an aftermarket sub should be a piece of cake. The battery is already in the rear of the car, meaning running power cables to the amp will be easy. I would remove the ski sack door, and face a single 10" into the car. A good install shop (i.e. not best buy or circuit city or al+eds) should be able to install a box like that with the amp hidden, and with matching carpet (probably the same fabric from BMW)... it will all look factory.

Also, a JL W7 will probably overpower the factory speakers, a W6V2 should work more then okay. Also, 10" should be the min. size. 8" prob won't produce the lower frequency needed.

Sounds like a great setup.. next time try some Focals, one of the only components I've ever liked more then MB Quart Q-series.

Good idea mikey, but in my experience free-air subs sound awful, unless they are tuned to 100% perfection. In the case of that much hassle, it makes much more sense to use a normal sealed box. Usually free-air is utilized to save trunk space, in which case won't be that much unless a dual or triple sub setup is used. Also, the rear deck really needs to be dampened well to quell vibrations and rattles, which frequently appear after some amount of usage.

+1

BTW... the Focals are awesome!!! although they are biggest strength is on the high frequency tweeter range... IMO the MB Quartz have a perfect mid-range for the type of music I listen to, which has a lot of guitar rhythm and solo. I was debating in using the Focals but I've been using MB Quartz for the past 7 years and I'm happy with it... maybe the next car system...

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Geez fellas, I guess I'd have to side with Russ on this one (re: engine music).

Fwiw in terms of personal experience, I've modded the audio systems on 8+ cars from the 70s through the 80's, and then I abruptly stopped. They were costly and in some cases I felt that they inhibited performance per the butt dyno (goofy? maybe). At any rate, the return just didn't seem worth it anymore.

Perhaps as an audiophile and musician I'm somewhat jaded, but this is all just my .02.

·
Registered
740 Posts
LOL... We can always have the best of both world... turn-off the sound system... and the we listen to the engine/exhaust music.... Maybe I add a few pounds to the car... which means that I'd just have to loose a few more pounds LOL...
IMO... this is an M5, a comfortable, functional luxury car... but yet with the M button, it transformed into a highway beast... I am planning to buy a dedicated track car, where it won't even have air conditioning nor sound system... may not even street legal... now that is engine music :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
DIY bass set-up

Geez fellas, I guess I'd have to side with Russ on this one (re: engine music).
On the other hand you could avoid a costly set-up and just use the stock radio and the bass it already produces. See, just throw an old coffee can in the trunk of the car and toss in a few metal washers. Crank up the radio with full bass and your car will have the 'gangsta rap buzz' in no time. Now just cruise through some shady parts of town and bask in aall the reespek you can handle.:1:

·
Registered
740 Posts
^^^LMAO^^^

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
extassy, with regard my performance-hit comment, I was refering to the electrical/battery tap.

And Russ, just for clarification as to those coffee cans -- should we brew and drink the coffee first, or simply leave 'em full and thereby enjoy their natural, caffeine-induced resonance and (likely quite-uplifting) stimulus :7:?

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do I wire a subwoofer amplifier to the stock amp system. I want to tap into the speaker wires that come from the head unit and end up at the Logic 7 amp. Does anyone have a wiring chart? I also want to hook up the REM wire so the amp shuts off whenever the stereo shuts off.
Does anyone have an answer or a wiring chart? (not an opinion about how I should enjoy the engine and the stock sound system)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts