BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 2000 M5, but there are days when I would really like to have a convertible (living in California that's >= 200 days/yr) and I have been thinking about buying a used Porsche Boxter (or Boxter S).

I test drove a 2002 (S version) this afternoon and noticed the following:

1) The M5 must have really spoiled me when it comes to low-end torque, the Boxter did not push my back into the seat until the rev-counter got past 5-6,000 and I had to keep the revs high in a way that I never had to with the M5. At take off it felt more like my wife's minivan than a sports car when compared with the M5.

2) I really like the handling/feel of the mid-engine.

Overall, I can't think of a better used convertible in the mid $30K for someone who enjoys "spirited driving", but perhaps I am missing something. Do any boardmembers have experience with the Boxter, or have other recommendation for an affordable convertible for those days when the weather just begs you to go topless?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
The M Roadster isn't the handler that the Boxster is but you get far more horsepower and kick in the back, even with the pre-'01 models with 240 bhp (but get the '01 or '02 for 315 bhp). With a few chassis upgrades you can almost turn with the Boxsters and just rip down the straights.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a 2000 Boxster and it didn't have enough hp/torque. If you are getting a boxster, MUST get a S version.

M5MAX

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I would choose the Boxster S over all of its competition. It is the best handling, most fun to drive by far. The M Coupe/roadster does have a little better power but its handling and refinement don't compare.

I haven't looked for a few years, so I never drove one of these, but another vehicle to consider in that price range today would be the Subaru WRX STI or Mitsu Evo - these will both outperform the abovementioned cars at the expense of a solid roof and considerable drop in refinement/luxury.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You could get a 2001-2002 M roadster in that budget and I would definitly prefer that to the boxster. I think they look better and the extar power is very fun. A minor thing or two and it should be as good in the turns as the boxster, and even stock it is still fairly close. I also like the feel of the M compared to the boxster.

B

·
0 Posts
I used to own a 2001 M Roaster (Estoril Blue on Blue/Black). It was one of the most fun cars I have ever driven. It felt like a very refined go-cart.

I would purchase the M Roadster over the Boxster S, because IMO the only thing "better" about the Boxster S, is its name tag.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agitator,

I won't debate the relative merits of Boxster vs. M Roadster; each great cars, but with distinctively different personalities. Other than the 930 & Twin Turbos, Porsche road cars have never been "zero to whatever" cars and whether it's an S or not, it aint' gonna' compare to your M5 in that category. My Wife replaced her '87 E30 Cabriolet with a non-S Boxster in '99 and it has provided large doses of smiles per mile and has also been virtually trouble-free. If Freeway on-ramps are your acid test, then perhaps a Boxster's not for your taste. On the other side of the equation, take a test drive on a tight and twisty back road and see if that makes up for the lack of torque. Just like my Wife, if you get a hankering for an acceleration adrenalin rush, just grab the keys for "The Beast". Variety - The Spice of Life.

Jim

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Those of you who used to own (or still own) M3 convertibles, anything I should look out for if buying one? I already know about the bearing recall. And no, I'm not selling my beast, but my other car, an M Roadster. These days I'm saddled with kiddie kart-around duty all too often, making it impossible to enjoy my Roadster much anymore (if it wasn't for that, I'd keep it). So, I really need the extra seats.

B

·
0 Posts
Need4Spd said:
Those of you who used to own (or still own) M3 convertibles, anything I should look out for if buying one? I already know about the bearing recall. And no, I'm not selling my beast, but my other car, an M Roadster. These days I'm saddled with kiddie kart-around duty all too often, making it impossible to enjoy my Roadster much anymore (if it wasn't for that, I'd keep it). So, I really need the extra seats.
I used to own a '98 e36 M3 Convertible and it was a blast to drive. However, the body structure was less rigid than the '95 e36 M3 Coupe I also owned. Moreover, the M3 Convertible was a few hundred pounds heavier, which strained the engine a bit when seeking to expoit its performance potential. The '01 e46 330ci Convertible that I used to own was better on both these fronts, but I did not find it much fun to drive.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I currently own a 2001 M5 and 2002 Boxter S which we bought by trading a 2000 M Roadster. The M Roadster definitely had better acceleration than the Boxter but the Porsche is the best handling car I have ever driven. When I need the acceleration "rush".....I just drive the M5.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts