BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a good few months of ownership , I feel compelled to say that I had always previously underestimated the qualities of these M5 Tourings !

I still feel it a touch surreal , driving an Estate car in such an enthusiast manner , but am amazed at how well they perform .

Having visited the Nurburgring several years ago with board member Evoman and his M5 Touring , I had real life experience of seeing one being driven extremely well in my rear view mirror and , subsequently , through my windscreen , but I had never appreciated how accomplished they are .

This , combined with the fact that they are truly practical , has totally altered my perception of these fantastic cars !

Long live the E34 M5 Touring !

D

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
So you ended up getting those staggered Thorwing Stars then - a productive afternoon after all.

Glad you are enjoying the Touring D - they are a unique combination of space, pace and class!!

·
Registered
497 Posts

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got in from a day out at Thetford Forest with the 2 kids , Melissa and two bicycles all fitting into the Touring nicely .

Just got to come up with a name for her now !

Jnr , I got home at 10.20pm with the wheels .

D

·
Registered
61 Posts
You didn't mention the smug smile you get when some pill decides to try to keep you from passing only to have you downshift and go past him like he's tied to a post. Out of the corner of your eye you can usually catch the shocked face that is whipped to the left when the scream of the 6 goes past. As you fade into the distance he can make out the five people seated and bicycles, luggage etc piled in the back of the touring. :byee55amg

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There were 8 wheels in the car Manuel , including 4 9js with 265/40/17 tyres .......... Awesome !

This Touring feels suprisingly planted and rigid , to the point that I really need to start driving her quicker !

D

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
David, if you drive any more quickly an appearance in the county court looks on the cards, followed by a bout of public transport!!!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Tool box

or Toy Box

nothing gets it done with more fun

what the heck, why not just put the canoe up there too

We did need to get more gear out to that rock

Make even the baddasses look even badder (esp when having to impress the 9 year olds)

What else would you rather eat up the open road in anyway?? (I-90 to Marathon)

Sometimes you eat up all the pavement and still you just gotta take it

You never know what river there is to cross (Mighty Pecos)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Now how many wheels are actually in the car :D ? I spot 6!
Have you noticed a difference in chassis flex? How about performance difference?
I've driven both and didn't feel much difference however I've never tracked either.
-
Hi ///Manuel.
The E34 M5/M5touring is as we know not the ultimate car for track use, M3s and others and other brand cars are more suited. On the other hand despite
the limitations, it is good fun. The E34 M5touring has a weight balance disadvantage compared to the sedan because of the heavy -
double-sun-roof - which also creates a space limitation for a helmet, subject to the drivers body-length.
Is this the reason why the few E34 M45tourings (about 16% of the production) without the -double-sun-roof-option are so much looked for ??:lightbulb:
Also for a good track performance the EDC-suspension needs to be in good trim and the wheels/tires combo needs to be up to good standards as well
as the breaks. Right breaking, short not long, is also a subject, for the breaks not to fade too early.
The ///M-guys att Garching knew what they were doing, the standard factory set up with Michelin Sports works outstanding.
I have Yokohama AVS 275/35/18 tires fitted to the rear 9"-M-parallels on my M5touring which results in heavy understeer in short and tight corners and is therefore NOT recommended for track use.
ALL loose items of any load must of course be removed from the inside of the car as otherwise you will have these all over you under breaking
and turning.....:M5rev::M5launch:

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Very true Karl ..........

Meanwhile , mine is one of the 16% or 142 M5 Tourings with the smooth roof , the EDC works a treat on the switch and the staggered PS2s do a fantastic job of keeping the rear planted !

Great fun !

D

·
Registered
497 Posts
Lucky bastard:):) although i like my double electrifying sunroof very much. Especially leaving all windows and roof fully open and then lock the car. Hold it for a second or 2 and watch....pure poetry in motion...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey David - thats weird. Mr 3.6ltr Sedan is G*** WEW.

Two WeW`s!

Wooo-Ho!!!!
Wey Hey Wew !!!!!!!

How the hell are you ?

We know you love a Focus ,

But the M5's got to you !

D

·
Registered
131 Posts
mine is one of the 16% or 142 M5 Tourings with the smooth roof

D
Mine is also a smooth roof version. Had the twin sunroof on a 520 Touring and it was great until somethig went wrong. I replaced the roof but it was a lengthy job. I much prefer the Touring with a solid roof; far less creaks and groans on the bends! Am thinking of treating mine to a respray over the next few months.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts