BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of replacing my thermostat (still) but i've run into a bit of a problem.

When i took out the old thermostat, it was surrounded by a rubber seal that sat around the edge of the thermostat. When i pulled out the old tstat, the rubber ring broke apart. I thought this was the ring seal (part # 11531312287) so i bought a new one as per some of the other m5board threads.

When i picked up the part, i immediately noticed that it looked different from the old ring seal. The new one has a metal surround with a heavy rubber seal on the inside.

http://images.craigslist.org/0101080104030103032008040995077571ba5a87c70d005d1d.jpg

The old one was rubber only.

Apparently the dealer says this ring seal also fits e34 M5.

Did BMW make a change to the design of the ring seal? Or am i missing something?

The only thing i can think of is that maybe i was missing the ring seal from the original tstat, because when i took the old tsat out, i definitely did not see the ring seal that i just purchased from the dealer.

Is the new tstat supposed to come with a rubber only o-ring/seal in addition to the ring seal?

·
10,459 Posts
the other metal/rubber ring/seal goes inside of the housing, so when the thermostat opens and slides in, it seals against the ring.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it sounds like i have a minor mystery on my hands...

This is the seal i am missing:

https://www.autohausaz.com/secure/PartImages/11531315063.jpg

Can i buy just this seal? Does anyone know the part #?

But what concerns me more is the fact that when i removed the original tstat, there was no metal seal ring. What does that mean? Did the seal fall out? Was the tstat replaced previously and the metal seal ring was left out?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I believe you may be confusing two different seals, you first post shows the correct thermostat gasket that has a metal ring with a heavy rubber ring on the inside of it. You have to remove the entire metal ring - hard to do, the rubber is connected to that metal ring.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The thermostat has 2 seals - The all rubber seal should be on the new thermostat. If it's not, then you might have the wrong thermostat, I don't think it can be bought separately.

The seal you bought goes inside the housing, it's a good idea to replace it anyways, it's just a PITA to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts