BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im kinda a new to this motor. Im getting this stupid engine power reduced and dsc and brake light on my m5 after hot starts and now like every 1min of driving. it goes to limp mode no gas response seems like a coolant sensor and thermostat problem. Now i look at pictures and it looks like its right on top of the motor and seems like pretty easy replacement, i call shops and they telling me 5hr labor wtf? Am i missing something?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
You have to remove the plastic cowling towards the rear of the motor to take off the plenums. Some take short cuts but doing it by the book can take awhile. Mine took a few hours roughly three or so. Expect more if they are going to completely drain and refill coolant.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I did mine myself and had never done it and it took me a couple of hours with some beer breaks along the way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hum ya that intake doesnt look friendly at all lol. Strange how price on tstat varies , autozone price 20 bucks everywhere else 100 oem or not

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did mine last month. Took a few hours, with some breaks. The air box was not so bad, put some silc lub spray on the boots when going back together, and it slid right back in place.

Don't buy the Autozone T-stat, get the German brand, you don't want to be replacing it in 8 months !!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
What's the part # on the hose? I may have it in my garage, got a T-stat too I don't need as well.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
No worries!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Man that boot must have been doing weird things to the airflow to that cylinder? Wonder if it was making noise? Allowing unfiltered(metered)air in?

Really disappointing if it came from the factory that way; has the plenum ever been off? Wondering if this is something to check?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I did mine over the winter. I did not remove the plenum, but only loosened and elevated enough to get at the T-stat. I also changed the coolant. It wasn't hard at all. I'm an amateur mechanic and it took me about 3 hours. I could easily do it in 45 min now.

Have a lot of 1/4 extensions available and I found the flexible driver to be very useful too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts