BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace my thermostat, and the part shows it comes with a rubber o ring, but there is also a metal seal that is sold separately and I am unsure if this needs to be replaced, or if the one that is in there is able to be reused. The metal seal is $50, and I'd like not to have to buy it. Has anyone done theirs and what was your experience with these parts? Thanks for a quick reply, I have 1 hour to order to make the UPS cutoff! I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I don't seem to remember an o-ring for the thermostat. If I remember correctly, there were 6 o-rings for the three pipes that I replaced, and the new t-stat itself had it's own gasket attached to it. I keep hearing about this mystical thermostat o-ring and I don't remember adding one when I changed mine.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The mystical thermostat O-Ring is a metal ring that resides at the top of the housing. See pics of the one I ordered, but did not attempt to put in (after reading great threads here!).

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Literally just placed my order for the tstat parts. Used these part #s that came from DouglasABaker's post here (this is from the main thread on tstat replacement, which also discusses the ring that you're referring to and that it doesn't need to be replaced): http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...replacement-today-lot-pics-9.html#post1705772:

11537835558 tstat qty - 1
11531406249 O-ring qty - 8 (that's 4 extra)
11531407002 O-ring qty 4 (that's 2 extra)

Total from RMEuropean was $72.58.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts