BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I spent a day reading up on the old posts about the AA CAI. Did not come across anyone mentioning this part-->

Now I understand the hole in the side of my piping is in case of water ingestion. What I'm not understanding is why my engine would NOT draw air in from that hole instead of from the piping leading in from the grill? Wouldnt it defeat the purpose of a CAI to have air drawn in from a hole right next to the airbox?

Now I'm not faulting AA for drilling a giant hole in the side of the piping, water ingestion is quite catastrophic to an engine. However, I am in So Cal. With the exception of the start of this year, summer is here and water will only drop on my car should I park too close to an overzealous sprinkler.

I was hoping for your thoughts on whether or not I should seal this hole. The AA system is set up so there are a LOT of holes at the bottom for what would seem to me as ample "drainage" for water (ie nothing is sealed at the bottom). Having this rather crude hole in the side of my piping just seems like a waste of a CAI. Are there alternatives to just sealing it? Maybe a valve of sorts? Anything but just a hole that looks unevenly hacksawed :rolleyes: . Any and all suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I don't remember if my AA CAI pipes had holes that large. The stock air filter boxes have a small drainage hole also. I did not like all of the air leaks in the kit too. Also I did not like bleeding air off to the brakes and away from the engine. I first tried to seal things up with aluminum a/c tape. This did not work too well. My solution was to connect the air hose directly to the funnel in the grill, no aluminum box. I might have sealed the hole that you are showing. The air pressure going into the hose is, for the most part, going to the engine. It is up to the engine/valves to let it in. IMHO real Ram Air Intake. Unless you have ducted backing plates on the brakes, the air is not getting to the rotors.

Good Luck....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

As far as engines go, considering they are air pumps after all, the air should be essentially be sucked into the engine. Having a hole so close to the airbox, well I see it sucking air from the path of least resistance... straight from the hole.

Anyone know of a way to seal that hole? I dont really mind having air go to the back of the brakes really. I just want to seal that hole. Any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
931 Posts
To seal holes, get the aluminum adhesive tape that heating and air conditioning contractors use to seal air ducts in buildings. It comes in various widths, can be 'formed' over various shapes, the adhesive is awesome, and can handle a wide range of temperatures. As suggested, talk to AA, perhaps someone got carried away with the size of the hole. Either you will be sucking air in from the hole, or blowing it out if the engine can use all of the flow. This is assuming 'all of the other leaks' suck/blow.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
do the oem 3" plastic parts have the hole in them?

Is this hole on both sides?

I fitted this kit back in 2003 on my car, didn't think twice about the holes, as we have a variety of different weathers here in the uk... Maybe putting a small grill/mesh there instead is better?

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I do not believe covering up the hole will get you any more air to the engine and you may have the issue of getting some water where you do not want it. Even at high speeds you can only injest so much air through the openings with the CAI. I believe you would have to completely change out the air intake path to greatly influence the amount of air to the engine. Of course to fully take advantage of this you would need to change a number of other items as well.

Remember, it is a CAI (COLD air injection) not MAI (MORE air injection).

·
Registered
931 Posts
True, the engine will only take in so much air, however if the air path is constantly filled under slight pressure, you will get max amount air into the engine, hence the benifits of Ram Induction. The fewer leaks, the hole shown in the start of this thread, is enormus defeats both ram and cold air intake. The big hole in in the engine compartment as in hot air! You want as cold as possible and presurized air going in. As to water ingestion, there is such a twisted path in addition to the stock air box, there is no chance to pull water in unless you go for a swim. This is what I have been running for over a year now.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
mr_bock said:
True, the engine will only take in so much air, however if the air path is constantly filled under slight pressure, you will get max amount air into the engine, hence the benifits of Ram Induction. The fewer leaks, the hole shown in the start of this thread, is enormus defeats both ram and cold air intake. The big hole in in the engine compartment as in hot air! You want as cold as possible and presurized air going in. As to water ingestion, there is such a twisted path in addition to the stock air box, there is no chance to pull water in unless you go for a swim. This is what I have been running for over a year now.
Yes, the twist is fairly substantial.. pic during my install..

·
Super Moderator
10,465 Posts
the stock ducting does not have that hole. I'm surprised aa does that. The factory airbox system already has a "bypass" incase you submerge the intakes. Notice the extra small pipe from the passenger side (in the US) airbox? That is open to the upper front fenderwell area, if you submerge the AA intake rings, you'll just suck air from the upper fenderwell.
Mike

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I do know why AA put the hole there. On a liability standpoint, they will advise against sealing that hole. Its to prevent against water ingestion. But from what I see, having such a huge hole draw hot air from within the engine bay negates the whole point of the CAI.

Mr Bock, I definitely will be trying that aluminum adhesive tape you mentioned. It should serve well in sealing that hole. I think the secondary inlet/outlet mottati mentioned will be sufficient for whatever water I happen to come across .

Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Once the AA CAI is installed, how hard is it to get to that hole to seal it up?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
MAH said:
Once the AA CAI is installed, how hard is it to get to that hole to seal it up?
I'm fairly sure you'll have to take the front bumper off, to get to the corners where the holes are, but if you have small hands, you may be able to take out the headlight (4bolts) and gain access there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.