BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
The guy is featured in the article, not sure he'd be happy BBG quoted him as having a BMW M5 and a Merc SL550 AMG. hiha

·
Registered
805 Posts
Good stuff. I sent this to my father in law and he replies - "I can do it for less than $600,000 BUT I'm gonna need your help carrying my couch into the garage."

·
Registered
805 Posts
Must be nice.
You know, I look at those garages and think the same thing - but then it strikes me what a mundane life the cars must lead. I'm sure there are probably many owners in those garage condos that go out and beat their cars regularly, BUT having such a gorgeous, clean space definitely forces you to instinctively keep the cars "in a plastic wrapper", so to speak; you never want to go out and enjoy the cars because it goes against keeping the "showroom image". So what do you do? Can't wrench on the cars for fear of scratching the floor or walls, or spilling fluids. Just sit around and stare? Unfortunately I bet a lot of these guys (playboys) would love nothing more than to have you come in to their palace and talk your ear off about how rare and desirable one of their cars is, while knowing nothing about the real history of it.

While I can understand the desire to have a pristine, polished machine, and have a place to store a collection, there is also a huge satisfaction from keeping up a "working" garage - where the mantra is "go fast, break stuff, come home, fix it, repeat" - and I think that kind of space needs more recognition.

Unfortunately that last kind of satisfaction isn't as glamorous, but is much more rewarding. And that makes it ok to not have a million dollar showroom :) I think I'd rather have a 30 pk of beers in a mini fridge than 900 bottles of wine that will never get opened anyways.

end rant, I'll go back into my 2 car garage now.

cherrsagai :M5launch:

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
You know, I look at those garages and think the same thing - but then it strikes me what a mundane life the cars must lead. I'm sure there are probably many owners in those garage condos that go out and beat their cars regularly, BUT having such a gorgeous, clean space definitely forces you to instinctively keep the cars "in a plastic wrapper", so to speak; you never want to go out and enjoy the cars because it goes against keeping the "showroom image". So what do you do? Can't wrench on the cars for fear of scratching the floor or walls, or spilling fluids. Just sit around and stare? Unfortunately I bet a lot of these guys (playboys) would love nothing more than to have you come in to their palace and talk your ear off about how rare and desirable one of their cars is, while knowing nothing about the real history of it.

While I can understand the desire to have a pristine, polished machine, and have a place to store a collection, there is also a huge satisfaction from keeping up a "working" garage - where the mantra is "go fast, break stuff, come home, fix it, repeat" - and I think that kind of space needs more recognition.

Unfortunately that last kind of satisfaction isn't as glamorous, but is much more rewarding. And that makes it ok to not have a million dollar showroom :) I think I'd rather have a 30 pk of beers in a mini fridge than 900 bottles of wine that will never get opened anyways.

Snob.

:rofl:

Imagine the oil discussions that must go on in one of these places :eek:

·
Registered
557 Posts
yep, the place is really sweet. They have a monthly C&C meet there open to the public. The local BMW enthusiasts gather around 6am at Yo-Yo Donuts (couple, 3 miles away) and caravan over to get a spot inside the complex. If you get there after 7:30, there is no room left. There are usually 3 to 5 E39 M5's; E60, M3's, etc.

Many of the owners open their garages so you can tour through an look at the cars up close... others see it a a PITA inconvenience on their private space. But all in all it's good fun.

MNCANDC | The Midwest's Premiere Monthly Car Event

·
Registered
6,201 Posts

Different folks, different strokes.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts

Unfortunately that last kind of satisfaction isn't as glamorous, but is much more rewarding. And that makes it ok to not have a million dollar showroom
I think I'd rather have a 30 pk of beers in a mini fridge than 900 bottles of wine that will never get opened anyways.

Different folks, different strokes.
They have those condominiums at the NJMP, trackside. The developer literally used the words "country club for gear heads" when he was given at the drivers meeting.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yup, been there. Pretty cool spot. Wouldn't ever want one of them myself, but they are cool for what they are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts