BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What an incredible machine.

After having had the M5 (now lease returned) for the last three years, I just could not find a car that really would have turned me on. This is it. It feels so much more pwerful than the M5 and the ride is absolutely great: tight, sporty and not too hard. The steering is much more precise than the M5 was and I like the shifter action a lot more. The car is A 2002 with 28,000 miles on it. (39 month lease)

Wow - that's all I can say.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Must be odd for the rev counter to be all the way to the right... :confused2

Also noticed the tyres are pretty narrow, would have thought they would be wider.

Great car though, very nice indeed. Too bad they only make them in right hand drive, otherwise I would love one.

Can that chassis really handle the 400bhp that M5 engine creates? Heard it is a tough one to handle.

Congrats on the car again. :cheers:

- Kin

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Front tires are 245/45/18 and The Rear tires are 275/40/18 - not really that narrow. The gauges are in the center, however, it really did not take any time to get used to the set-up. Actually, I was quite surprised how quickly I adjusted to that.

I only have had the car for a little over 24 hours so I certainly don't have much experience with it, however, the car feels very solid and predictable. It may be a little harder to handle than my Boxster, but at the same time the Z8 is a lot more faster and powerful so one would expect it to be more demanding.

Cheers !

:cheers:

·
Registered
784 Posts
The experience begian the moment you placed your eyes on her.......

From that point it will get only better.

Have fun

Shadowman

·
Registered
635 Posts
Congrats on your new beast! I love the Z8, maybe will be next on list.

I happened to watch Jackie Chan's movie Tuxedo where he actually drives one. Sounds so good,

Good luck

Marion

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
:thumbsup:

Congrats!!!!! The Z8 is a great car- if it really turns you on you might want to keep it.

Be sure to always use the boot cover when you have the top down. The standard run flats work as advertised if you get a nail, but they are not the very best tires. A very easy improvement can be made by changing to performance tires (you lose the run flat ability though). There are a lot of other mods that people have had success with. For now, just enjoy the drive. Its one wonderful car. Its a true escape.

:M5launch:

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Very very nice, congrats on the Z8. Enjoy. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Congratulations! Beautiful.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had a Z8 since Aug 2000 and love it. As I am looking for an M5 as a daily driver to replace my M3, I would be interested in your impressions of the M5 now that you've spent some time in the Z8.

·
Registered
465 Posts
She is a keeper....enjoy

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
z8cr said:
I have had a Z8 since Aug 2000 and love it. As I am looking for an M5 as a daily driver to replace my M3, I would be interested in your impressions of the M5 now that you've spent some time in the Z8.
I absolutely loved the M5. Really the reason I ended up with the Z8 was the fact that I could not find anything exciting within my (lease) budget to replace it. The only thing on my list I did not drive was the new 911. Anyway, one of the cars I did drive was the M3, which I had not driven previously. After having driven the M5 for three years, the M3 just did not have the feel and grunt of the M5. In fact, I asked to drive a second sample at the dealer, as I thought there had be something wrong with the first car.

You don't mention if you have driven an M5 or not, but I have a huge preference for the M5 over the M3. The M5 has such an amount of torque and low end power that the M3 just does not compare in my opinion. The M5 is obviosly bigger and might not be as nimble as the M3 on twisty mountain roads (this was not an issue in Des Moines...) But the overall feel is so much more solid and "BMW like".

So, now the Z8 is my daily driver (other than next winters enow days when I will be driving the Boxster). and I am truly excited about the next three years of drivng pleasure.

BTW, what are the details of your Z8 and what are your driving impressions of it?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I was looking at the pictures and notices the license plate bracket says laurel of westmont, which is only a few minutes from my house. Did you really drive all the way out to westmont to get the car?

BTW, looks beautiful! I love the interior of Z8s.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
davem3smg said:
I was looking at the pictures and notices the license plate bracket says laurel of westmont, which is only a few minutes from my house. Did you really drive all the way out to westmont to get the car?

BTW, looks beautiful! I love the interior of Z8s.
Actually -

I flew to Chicago and drove to Des Moines :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts