·
Registered
505 Posts
///AMG cars !!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
More than a few years ago..........

1967 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C. Straight headers to side pipes - no mufflers. No power anything, no A/C, no radio, no nothing. Car body was 100% aluminum; had 500+HP; car weighed 2200 lbs, wet. Brakes were from aircraft. I don't know what was worse: getting slammed back in the seat and not being able to breathe @ WOT; or feeling the lap belt go through your belly and against your spine under full braking. That car was (and still is) an absolute brutal monster.

40 years ago, it's tested 0 - 100mph - 0 time was ~12 seconds; a published record for a street legal car that stood for decades. For $7500, it was available from your local Ford/Shelby dealer, to order. Today, if you can find an unmolested example, it'd be $1mm +. During 3 years of production ('65 - '67), only 327 427 Cobra's were made; and only a handful of those were S/C's. A very rare production car; and the last of it's breed.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
...my '69 RS SS 396 Camaro - 12.5-1 454 / open chamber heads etc etc etc - 500+ hp / M22 Rock Crusher / inline hurst / traction bars etc etc etc/with 488 rear end gear ratio; ...with street tires - would pin you in the seat, couldn't pull your head off the headrest, would pull the front tires off the ground, and 11.3's in the quarter...

...knowing what I know now about tires/suspension/handling etc at high speeds in th M on the 'bahn, it's a miracle I survived the muscle car era...

(well more than one miracle, considering the end of my '66 Chevelle SS396 was an end over end flip landing upside down in a creek without a seat belt -ouch)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
1st engine in the Chevelle was 360hp stock then mods, 3 more RATS in that one before I totaled her.

The glacier blue Camaro originally had 350hp -I did some bolt ons, headers/intake etc but got smoked by a 440, so then a 11-1 big head 4 bolt 450hp, and then the heavy mod 454 as mentioned...

·
Registered
959 Posts
See sig.

The ZR-1 with the Lingenfelter 12:1 stroker DOHC motor is a candidate, as is the CL65 AMG, but it's too heavy/smoooth to be considered brutal. The FGT is about to be Whippled, so it will be the torque winner at that point.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
My current "daily" (SL65 Kleemann) has more torque then anything else I have driven before but I will never forget the "torque shock" that I received from :
1976 450 SEL 6.9 (Euro) and later from :
1987 Buick GNx
Both were absolutely shocking to me at the time and the AMG ,even though even more powerful,was never able to recreate that original impression those two made.

·
Registered
76 Posts
last Saturday!

1967 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C. Straight headers to side pipes - no mufflers. No power anything, no A/C, no radio, no nothing. Car body was 100% aluminum; had 500+HP; car weighed 2200 lbs, wet. Brakes were from aircraft. I don't know what was worse: getting slammed back in the seat and not being able to breathe @ WOT; or feeling the lap belt go through your belly and against your spine under full braking. That car was (and still is) an absolute brutal monster.

40 years ago, it's tested 0 - 100mph - 0 time was ~12 seconds; a published record for a street legal car that stood for decades. For $7500, it was available from your local Ford/Shelby dealer, to order. Today, if you can find an unmolested example, it'd be $1mm +. During 3 years of production ('65 - '67), only 327 427 Cobra's were made; and only a handful of those were S/C's. A very rare production car; and the last of it's breed.
The Factory 5 cars are a lot of fun too!

Oh, this first one is powered by a BIG inch motor pushing 768HP and just over 700ft.lbs of torque (on the ground!)
Here's the engine~

·
Registered
230 Posts
our replica cobra with a 454ci and 525hp at 2200 lbs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts