BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have become an avid reader of this messageboard. Everybody is so passionate about their E34 M5s. I love that. To the point that when I want to take a break at work, I go to this messageboard to read the new threads.

Every once in a while a newcomer comes to this website to get tips on how to buy an M5 in good condition. However, I have never heard of anybody in this website that has bought one with less than 100k kms. Simply put, there are no M5s in near-new condition in Europe. US? Even worse.

If anyone of you guys are crazy about getting a near-new or practically brand-new e34 M5, FORGET Europe and the US. You might laugh at what I am about to write but here it goes: Try Brazil. I have been looking for an e34 M5 for 2-3 months. I looked at 4 of them which happen to be for sale here (I am Brazilian). The first one I saw is in an authorized BMW dealer, a 1994 Shadowline with 100,000kms. All inspections were done at an authorized BMW mechanic. Still, I thought it was way too much mileage for the car (how naive of me). Plus, the leather was a little too worn out for my comfort.

The second one I found was another 1995 Shadowline. This one belongs to a wealthy man that lives in the suburbs of Sao Paulo. It is in mint condition and has 48,000kms (notice that all my figures are in KILOMETERS!!!). However, he wanted too much money for it: R$77,000 (Brazilian currency), which when divided by 5, will give you 15,400 Pounds Sterling. You wouldn't find a car like this in Britain for less than 25,000 Pounds Sterling.

The third one I found was located in a used car dealership which specializes in German brands. I ALMOST bought this one. It was a 1995 Shadowline (I then found out that all e34 M5s that came to Brazil were Shadowline) with 56,000kms. The dealer wanted R$60,000 for it, I offered R$56,000 cash up front (that's 11,200 Pounds Sterling). He said he would close on that price.

However, right after waking up on a Sunday and grabbing the newspaper, I saw another one for sale which (I later found out) used to belong to the president of the BMW Club of Brazil. This one has 34,000 kilometers. Let me repeat that, 34,000 kilometers. Wait, let me write this yet again, 3 4 , 0 0 0 K-I-L-O-M-E-T-E-R-S mmmmmm :eek: ;) :pop: :cheers: I payed R$64,000 (12,800 Pounds Sterling)

IT IS NOW MINE. Pictures will be up very soon, so that all of you may drool at will.

Now, I know what you are all thinking: "They all messed with the odometer, moron!!!" Nope. What happens is that European vehicles that came to Brazil back in 1995 were sold for twice their price in Europe. SO M5s here were extremely expensive. Therefore, only extremely wealthy people bought this car. Moreover, Brazilian affluent people treat their cars extremely well and only drive their beasts on the weekend because their cars would draw too much attention to them and also because they were afraid of having it stolen. So, these cars were not used as daily commuters. Now that they want to buy their e39 M5s and 745is, they are giving their e34 M5s as part of the payment. So, a lot of mint condition e34 M5s are appearing in Brazilian websites and newspapers for sale.

The prices are very low now because in 1999, the Brazilian currency devalued tremendously in relation to the dollar. Therefore, their price is extremely low when you convert it into Pounds Sterling. Also, by looking at the engines and interiors of these cars, you will surely agree that their mileages are original. Plus, when I was 18, I used to work for an Audi dealership here in Brazil. So I know what a low mileage car is suppose to look like.

If anyone of you are interested in going nuts and taking a trip to Brazil and perhaps shipping one of these to Europe, write to me and I will gladly send you the internet adresses of the stores with pictures of these cars. However, I am afraid that not all of them are posted on the internet.

Please let me write this one more time:

I BOUGHT AN E34 M5 SHADOWLINE WITH ONLY 34,000 KILOMETERS. NOW TELL ME, WHO'S YOUR kinggf DAAAAAADDYYYYY!!!!kinggf

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Sounds like a very nice car! Can't wait to see a pic... :thumbsup:

I always loved E34s - first BMW I ever took a long journey in (as a passenger!)

See you out on the road sometime - better hope I'm in Rommel, not Lucie! :byebye:

·
2,481 Posts
OK WE NEED PICS ASAP!!

Seriously though, you just have to look and wait. I have found a second E28 M5 in Colorado that has 35,000 miles. It is for sale and I want to buy it. But, there is also an 1991 Artik Silver E34 M5 with 85,000 miles that has my eye.

·
Registered
609 Posts
DeWitt,

You better buy them both just to be safe.:)

WylM5

·
Registered
119 Posts
Who's your daddy????

I'll tell you who my daddy is! I took a test on the world wide web and according to that test my daddy is OZZY OSBOURNE! Scary ay?

I just have to say, not only are you living in Brazil where the sun shines and they have Carnivals with nearly naked chicks, but you also bought one of the best E34 M5's left in the world....... maybe even THE BEST....

Hell, no I'm just happy its not snowing yet and I can still enjoy my car!

Congratulations.... I'm glad to know this website has shown you the way!

:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Very good,

Brazil may be a BIT far for me to go !!

and it would add a couple of thousand Km to
the mileage on the way back !!

Best i can offer you is my car i bought 3years ago
with 50'000miles (around 80km)

There are lower mileage cars out there but its getting
to that stage in their life (6 years old) where work is going
to need doing anyway.....regardless of the mileage.

The other point is....these are Drivers cars, and people LOVE
driving them...hence the high average mileages out there.

Anyway our M5's mature with age, and if treated with respect
& care will last forever.....kinggf

Good luck with your find,

Regards,

Alan Archer.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hi there

I agree that the mileages covered by the cars you mention in Brazil are very low, but you can also can across similar in europe although more dificult to find.

My M5 was purchased about just over four ago form dealer in Marbella with 29000 kms, with just over 3 years of age, the car was originally purchased by a wealthy scandinavian who wanted the car for his second home in the costa del sol, I bought the car of my father a couple of years ago with 80.000 kms and it now has 117.000 kms.

Joe Rubido

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bingo ?

Bandit ! great picture of a nice car !

Pepsmeister !
whenever you come across a real -rare- car in Brazil
= a low mileage, 6-speed, M5touring give us (me)
a wink and I just might book a ticket to the carnival
and book a 40' container Santos-Gothenburg for the car.
If low mileage in Brazil is bcs you can not drive the car then
we are still well off in Scandinavia, although we have problems
here as well, but driving is not the problem, parking is.
They had a go for mine just outside the garage, 5 meters
from our neighbours kitchen window. OK he was asleep
at 4.00 o'clock in the morning, but still.

Enjoy your car, now you can forget abt the mileage, DRIVE IT.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
M5 Touring

M5 Touring?

That is going to be a tough one to find. There probably is one around here....just not for sale. Now that I am a BMW owner, I am elligible to participate in the BMW Club Events. I am willing to bet that I will meet some more excentric rich guy who imported one back in 1995.

I will keep you posted...

Once again: 35,000kms ----- I ROCK!!!!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
84 Posts
i am from sao paulo

my name is filipe
i am from sao paulo
yesterday i went to a metting of the bmw club of brasil , and talked about your car with the president fo the club (who indeed have a a very mint M5 1995) , but he said to me that his car is not for sell.

anyway he said to invite you for the next meeting ..

by the way what is your name ?

please contact me directly so we can talk...

and congratulations on your new car !!!

[email protected]

·
Registered
84 Posts
i am from sao paulo too !!!

my name is filipe
i am from sao paulo
yesterday i went to a metting of the bmw club of brasil , and talked about your car with the president fo the club (who indeed have a a very mint M5 1995) , but he said to me that his car is not for sell.

anyway he said to invite you for the next meeting ..

by the way what is your name ?

please contact me directly so we can talk...

and congratulations on your new car !!!

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Congrats on your :eek: FINE:eek: purchase:thumbsup:

What a result and CHEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!

Not at all Jealous:rolleyes:

Most of all enjoy the beast.

Good Luck

Steve Mac:cheers:

·
Registered
49 Posts
My miles

Not every car bought in the U.S. is over 100000kms. My car is a '93 and I bought it with 50,000 miles. The car runs very well and have been very happy. If ou take a little time, you can find a good car in the U.S. Not that long ago I was looking at a '93 with 34,000 miles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mr Pepsmeister

congratulations on your purchase - i'm SURE that, from what you share with us, Brazil IS the place to go if you want a good low-mileage E34M5 -

BUT they're all LHD, right? so that's no use in parts of the world where we drive on the right side of the car

for RHD's Australia is the mecca for nice BMW's but if you are fortuntate to find yourself in Hong Kong, every now and then an E34 M5 pops up (there are only ten or so here in hongkong and they frequently change hands)

with terrible used-car values here, i bought my 1991 3.6 with 50k miles for US$7,500 and it is beautiful...another example in Avusblau with similar mileage is going for similar prices; but the jewel is another 3.6 asking around US$6,500 - it only has 27,000miles!!!

if you're asking WHY these cars have such low mileages? basically the same reasons as brazil - rich people who collect cars don't drive them to work; my car was sold in a particular hurry becos the owner needed room in his garage for a 550 Barchetta!

plus the roads here are pretty good and (most) people always keep their car in perfect condition

so is hongkong the RHD Shangri-La?

maybe so.

but you are definitely NOT my father

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
520i said:

with terrible used-car values here, i bought my 1991 3.6 with 50k miles for US$7,500 and it is beautiful...another example in Avusblau with similar mileage is going for similar prices; but the jewel is another 3.6 asking around US$6,500 - it only has 27,000miles!!!

if you're asking WHY these cars have such low mileages? basically the same reasons as brazil - rich people who collect cars don't drive them to work; my car was sold in a particular hurry becos the owner needed room in his garage for a 550 Barchetta!

plus the roads here are pretty good and (most) people always keep their car in perfect condition

so is hongkong the RHD Shangri-La?

maybe so.

but you are definitely NOT my father
Too bad my country import regulation prohibits buying/importing USED car, maybe next year after AFTA is imposed I can ship one to Jakarta. I was (and is) still looking for a good one here, but most of them are in rotten condition, not for sale or grey market with illegal papers. There is one '89 or '90 model with less than 10,000 km (YES!) but it belongs in a private collection :(

Maybe I will e-mail you next year after AFTA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good, low Km M5's are around -- mostly the discarded, un-used 'toys' of the wealthy, and it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time, with the right amount of cash in your pocket.

Tell me how to insert images/pics into the forum reply, and I will show you mine with 36,946Km genuine in April 2000. I have enjoyed driving so much that there is now 114,000km now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
17 Participants
Malcolm
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing