BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had a fairly early order in back in 2000, and my car came in in Nov, I think, of 2000, so it was a 2001 model. I used BMW Individual to special order Biarritz Blue paint and as far as I know it was the only one of it's color in the country (US).

Loved that car and put about 40,000 miles on it before I turned it in (from a lease) a bit early in Sept or Oct of 2003. Long story short, I have missed it terribly ever since and have been looking for a hot rod four door to quench my thirst ever since.

It was with the greatest of despair that I observed the objectionable (nicest word I can find) styling of the then upccoming five series redesign, E60 I guess. Up to that point I had been lusting and waiting for the new 5 to be followed by a new M5. With dashed hopes I gave up for awhile then a few months ago decided I had to get something that stirred me and I went to test drive the E55 and and the other AMG version of that four door swoopy sedan, sorry, the numerical moniker escapes me at the moment.

I drove them both and concluded that a) the previously mentioned swoopy sedan was gorgeous to look at but actually too pretty for me. I anticipated feeling like I was wearing a big and beautiful piece of jewelry each day. Great for some, but not for me. So it was on to the E55, where I came to conclusion b) both these cars have superb engines, but nearly no feel at all.... especially in comparison to my beloved, long lost, and stupidly surrendered M5. They felt dull, disconnected and more or less like I had a velvet seat upon a 467 (or whatever) horsepower very well damped throne. PS, this did not have to do with the auto trans. I love automatic transmissions as much as manuals.

Then over to the BMW dealer once more to talk myself onto the styling of the new 5, but it was like eating Brussel Sprouts when I was a kid. They just won't go down, you know what I mean? I carefully eyed the 6 series over and over again because I like it much more than the 5 design, but at $90k plus for the M version, I've got to LOVE it. And alas, woe was me, I didn't love it. It's less objectionable for sure, but elicited no passion in my heart.

BUT THEN, I got wise and undertook a hunt for a super low mileage 2003 M5 to try and recapture the dream. 'You can't go home again', they say, but I though I might get back into the neighborhood, at least. Well, long story short, I ended up buying a pristine and unmolested 2002 from ibimmer in Calif and it arrived by truck this morning (to NY). And unlike every other used car I've ever bought there are absolutely zero disappointments. This car is nearly perfect. Much nicer than mine was after three years and I was pretty fanatical. It is Sterling Grey with black full leather, wood trim, and stereo upgrade. Exactly what I was looking for, except for no PDC which I loved.

Yippee! Yahoo!!! Yeah for me!!! This car is still as superb as I remember it. I washed it, checked the oil and tire pressure and went blasting off down the road...and let me tell you I love the E39 M5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and they all lived happily ever after.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Congratulations! That's a great story. There's probably only one car I've had in the past that I'd buy again. Now my M5 will probably be the second......

·
Registered
251 Posts
That's why I just bought out my lease.

She's a keeper!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
And you didn't even have to kiss a frog!!!!:15:

Congrats!! Wishing you many happy years of save driving!!:M5launch: :wroom:

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Great story with a happy ending. :thumbsup:

The E39 M5 really tugs on the heartstrings. lovelove :M5eyes:

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
WOW... thats sooooo nice... Been 6 years for me going after one and I still havent gotten her yet. :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great story!

After many years of E34 M5 ownership (still have it ), I finally got my long awaited E39. Like yours, a pristine 2002 (with 15,000 kms. 10,000
miles). Your story has made me feel good, because despite the doom and
gloomers, this is the one I want to keep. I reckon with all the stuff you can
get from this fantastic board, you can set up a service/maintenance
program that can make this a viable prospect. Happy motoring! Speak to you
in five years!
John.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Wonderful story - this should be a script for one of the short BMW movies for the next Clive Owen DVD ;) Welcome back!

I think the word 'monogamy' was invented with the M5 in mind, seriously. I have yet to find anything else to even consider cheating on my beauty :D . Now with the opposite sex, well, the temptations are daily :haha2:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gustav-
Back in 'the day' I read on this board about BMW Individual. My dealer sales lady and sales manager said 'no such thing'. Someone on this board directed me to , I think his name was Keith Cruiser (no kidding), a sales guy at a BMW store on the west coast. I called him and he said dealers don't know what they should, you can definitely do it, just force them to call corporate over in NJ. Which I did, and he was right. The custom color added six weeks to delivery, and about $2500, but I didn't like the other blue that was available so it was well worth it to me. I've often wondered whose hands that beautiful Biarritz Blue E39 fell into.

And you guys that have commented on how great and special these beasts are...it is the truth. It is just one of the best all around vehicles in history. Since I gave up the 2001, I got a mint 35,000 mile 1988 M6, and a mint 4,000 mile Z8. Both fabulous cars...but nothing like the fabled, beloved, cherished, and respected E39 M5. All Hail the Beast!!!! BMW should fire, then hang Bangle! Read this board and see how many sales that guy lost for BMW. Read how many of us got our "next" M5 'taken away' from us by that flame surface bozack! Zheeesh!
Sorry, I just feel ripped off.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts