BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Thanks for posting Gustav, but there are a number of errors, especially in the second article. For example, surely the Continental tyres are NOT run-flats.

I like the comparison with the MTM A8 and Alpina B7, another reason to look forward to the B5 vs. M5 showdown!

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve Dinan seems to like it. Im looking forward to go and (this time
) testdrive testdrive the Dinan E60 M5 :thumbsup:

"Like all BMWs, the fit and finish is world class. The luxury that you get from this kind of car is very impressive. For all of its incredible speed and I do mean incredible! it's still a luxury car. Very well thought out, the new M5 rewrites the book again on what a performance luxury sedan should be.That's what originally attracted me to BMW27 years ago: You get a very-high-performance luxury car with a back seat and a trunk. What more could you ask for?"

"Satch quoted me when we drove the 645Ci I like this car so much I'd buy it even if I didn't have to and it's true again. We need to get the new M5 into the Dinan shop as soon as possible. I can't wait to take this thing apart and look at in on the inside and I know the engineers at Dinan are going to have some fun with this one. But I think I need European delivery when I get the new M5. Maybe just one more road trip before I have to take it apart."

·
Registered
704 Posts
clee19821013 said:
is he the first to say that he wishes active anti roll bar to be on the new M5?
Nope, a number of people here, me included, have said the same thing.

I also wanted active steering, mostly because I don't like to shuffle steer as you lose center.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Gustav said:
Steve Dinan seems to like it. Im looking forward to go and (this time
) testdrive testdrive the Dinan E60 M5 :thumbsup:

"Like all BMWs, the fit and finish is world class. The luxury that you get from this kind of car is very impressive. For all of its incredible speed and I do mean incredible! it's still a luxury car. Very well thought out, the new M5 rewrites the book again on what a performance luxury sedan should be.That's what originally attracted me to BMW27 years ago: You get a very-high-performance luxury car with a back seat and a trunk. What more could you ask for?"

"Satch quoted me when we drove the 645Ci I like this car so much I'd buy it even if I didn't have to and it's true again. We need to get the new M5 into the Dinan shop as soon as possible. I can't wait to take this thing apart and look at in on the inside and I know the engineers at Dinan are going to have some fun with this one. But I think I need European delivery when I get the new M5. Maybe just one more road trip before I have to take it apart."
Yeah and I belive he'll do it right. Can you say 560 bhp and maybe 425-440 ft/lbs!

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Enigma said:
I also wanted active steering, mostly because I don't like to shuffle steer as you lose center.
If you ever drive on the track with AS, you'll quickly see you would never want the thing. Trying to judge how much steering to use approaching a slow speed corner (i.e. 40mph) after having just negotiated a 70mph slalom was impossible to do anywhere near 10/10ths in the 545i I drove at Spartanburg. Even the last cone on the slalom was a huge challenge as it was a descending speed slalom. I just do not believe that one can imprint the steering action versus speed matrix into one's brain -- and this is what would be required to get the maximum performance out of the car on the track. On the street...just be very careful. At least on the track there was plenty of run-off room for me to collect the car on my attempt at that corner ;) .

·
Registered
881 Posts
I too am VERY glad that AS is not an option on the M5. I do not want to feel a lack of confidence on the track because I'm never sure what 'assistance' the power steering is going to dial up next as I brake hard into a corner. It would be a disaster.

Active anti-roll bars MAY have been fine, but from all acounts the new M5 corners very flat as is, and I'm sure that the active system would have added unnecesary weight. Hence I'm glad they're not on the car either.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Thank you for posting Gustav. :)

all the best
adam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts