BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after all my problems with my clutch siezing, and the problems i had with getting into 3rd of 4th in my previous post, I have since had a new (remanufactred) clutch fitted and a new slave cylinder, and all has seemed fine, clutch has been much improved, so much lighter than before.

But last nite was the first time I've done any distance in the car, and just as I was returning home (after doing around 140miles mostly motorway, with some small road driving as well, a couple of stops, all over around 3hours), it started exhibiting exactly the same fault as before - it grinds into 3rd but goes in, but would not go into 4th - it did grind a bit, but didn't sound like metal on metal (like a traditional grind - this is what it does do when going into 3rd), it more kinda bounces out again with a "ribbery resistance", but with a bit of persuasion it did go into 4th.

But it is definitely not right, it is also a bit "lumpy" going into 2nd and I have noticed that the central console area around the gearstick gets very hot, and I can smell hot/burning oil quite strongly when i lift the surround around the gearstick - don't know if this is related.

I really hope its not my gearbox after just having had it out earlier this week - any one with any suggestions?

The garage have said, perhaps it could do with a gearbox oil change, but i'm kinda regretting i didn't just get the gearbox reconditioned while it was out.

Cheers for any help you can offer!

illz

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
illjah said:
Well, after all my problems with my clutch siezing, and the problems i had with getting into 3rd of 4th in my previous post, I have since had a new (remanufactred) clutch fitted and a new slave cylinder, and all has seemed fine, clutch has been much improved, so much lighter than before.

But last nite was the first time I've done any distance in the car, and just as I was returning home (after doing around 140miles mostly motorway, with some small road driving as well, a couple of stops, all over around 3hours), it started exhibiting exactly the same fault as before - it grinds into 3rd but goes in, but would not go into 4th - it did grind a bit, but didn't sound like metal on metal (like a traditional grind - this is what it does do when going into 3rd), it more kinda bounces out again with a "ribbery resistance", but with a bit of persuasion it did go into 4th.

But it is definitely not right, it is also a bit "lumpy" going into 2nd and I have noticed that the central console area around the gearstick gets very hot, and I can smell hot/burning oil quite strongly when i lift the surround around the gearstick - don't know if this is related.

I really hope its not my gearbox after just having had it out earlier this week - any one with any suggestions?

The garage have said, perhaps it could do with a gearbox oil change, but i'm kinda regretting i didn't just get the gearbox reconditioned while it was out.

Cheers for any help you can offer!

illz
Have you checked the oil level in the gearbox? if not, do that first and ge3t the oil changed. Could even be air in the hydraulics (can give some intermittent clutch engaging problems), if it wasn`t properly "aired" after the slave cylinder change. the heat can originate from the exthaust also....
Sakke

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DrSakke said:
Have you checked the oil level in the gearbox? if not, do that first and ge3t the oil changed. Could even be air in the hydraulics (can give some intermittent clutch engaging problems), if it wasn`t properly "aired" after the slave cylinder change. the heat can originate from the exthaust also....
Sakke
well its going in for a gearbox oil change this week - it seems that the problem definitely occurs when I've been driving for at least an hour, hopefully that will cure it, but for some reason I fear it won't...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Illjah, I noticed in the e39 section, some of the guy's were recommending Royal Purple Synchromax gear oil. Personally I'm using Amsoil ATF fluid, no complaints. I would be surprised If a fliud change will solve your problem. Certainly worth a try.
Cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phlem5 said:
Illjah, I noticed in the e39 section, some of the guy's were recommending Royal Purple Synchromax gear oil. Personally I'm using Amsoil ATF fluid, no complaints. I would be surprised If a fliud change will solve your problem. Certainly worth a try.
Cheers,
Phil.
I doubt it will fix it either. I'm really worried about by gearbox..... I sooo hope it's not knacked. I've also noticed my engine seems to be using quiet a bit of oil, but no smaoking from the exhaust..... and there I was thinking the bodywork fixes & new tyres all round would be the biggest expenses......

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Illjah, if your engine is using more than 1L per 800 miles then I would be worried, I cant remember what the handbook suggests as acceptable consumption but I don't think I'm far away.
As I recall a g/box recon is about £300, try a search there's some threads frm the start of the year on this, so price wise that not too bad.
cheers.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah gearbox re-con is not to bad in price - just wished I'd got it done it when the box was out last week!!!

I'm not sure on how much oil the engine is using, but it was low about 10days ago (on the min line on dipstick), so i put a litre in and when I checked yesterday it was only half way between min and max - but that said I have probably driven at least 600 miles since then, but I thought that was a bit excessive even for those miles - especially as i'm not seeing any evidence of burning oil from the exhaust. I will keep an eye on it, and keep my fingers crossed about getting the oil change on the box, hoping it will be the end of my problems.

If not no doubt I will be back on here!!!

Cheers for all your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts