BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY NEW RIDE!

Hold on it's not what you think, just new tires. Amazing new tires, and now an amazing new ride!

When I bought the car 2.5 years ago, the tires were about shot and it had Type 121 wheels on it. The car did not run smooth at all and so within a month or two I replaced the tires with Hankook V12s. It felt better but still vibrating and not smooth to ride.

Certainly compared to my wife's F10 528i it was down right rough. I took it into the dealer and had a 4 wheel alignment done on it. That felt even worse so I went back. The service manager investigated and found that 3 of the 4 wheels were bent.

About 2 months earlier I met and became friends with Zerocks1, who lives in my area. He had custom wheels on his car and also the Hankook V12 tires. He made me the deal of a lifetime on his unused M6 OEMs and I swapped out the bent wheels for the M6 OEMs.

The car was much better, but some strange things would happen. I travel often and sometimes for a week or two at a time, and the car sits. The car also had an issue that after sitting that long, the tires would develop a small "flat spot" and ride "lumpy" for the 1st 15 miles or so. The lumpy ride also could be a wobble if the flat spot on each tire moved it's position from the other tire's causing a slight rock back and fourth in the steering wheel till I drove a few miles.

Strangely, Zerocks1's car did almost exactly the same thing. His car is not his daily driver so his sits also. Same car, same year but his is an M6 and mine is a 650i. Weird. I went to my tire guy and he said "yes there is a nylon cord in those tires that can do that"

So, I got use to the lumpy issue that would go away pretty quickly, but the car always had a vibration and never rode smoothly like the F10. I assumed it was just the way the 6 series rides. After all that's two 6'ers feeling about the same way.

2 weeks ago I finally went for new tires as my Hankooks were gone. After reading a lot, and getting some (as always) "on the mark" advice from Yorgi
(on Bimmerfest) I went for a new set of Pilot Super Sports in the stock OEM sizes.

I was so concerned about the vibration, that I did a visual inspection on the M6 wheels before I mounted the PSSs to make sure there was no damage on them. They were fine. I also made an appointment to go directly to the dealer from the tire shop for a 4 wheel alignment.

As I left the tire shop I noticed the car driving smoother but I wanted to give it some time. I left the dealership after the alignment, got on the highway, and for the first time ever, the ride was as smooth as glass.

I also wanted to wait till I had a few hundred miles on them before I posted anything, just to make sure it wasn't my imagination. I wanted a second opinion too. This week, Zerocks1 came over and test drove the car for the first time with me. I live less than a mile from a freeway (101) on-ramp and we headed there. Within 200 feet of pulling out of my driveway, he looked at me and said "I can feel it already".

We got on the highway and he was blown away. He noticed some little things that are really big things, like the rear view mirror didn't vibrate any more. I told him the passenger seat did not vibrate any longer when empty.

Bottom line is, it was the tires all along. 2 almost identical cars that had identical ride issues, except I have 64k on mine and he has 21k on his, and mine now feels like a new car.

Don't underestimate the power of your tires to make or break your car's ride!

Hats off to Yorgi. the man knows his tires!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Was thinking of getting the PSS's next. The v12's price is tempting, but good to hear this comparison. I am on Conti's now and they are ok at best. I have heard great things about the PSS's.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was thinking of getting the PSS's next. The v12's price is tempting, but good to hear this comparison. I am on Conti's now and they are ok at best. I have heard great things about the PSS's.
FYI,
I also posted this on the Bimmerfest board and some members there reported the same issues with Connie DWSs

·
Registered
497 Posts
Can't go wrong with Michelins or Bridgestones. People purchase the best sneakers for a particular sport. Why not purchase a great set of sneakers for your vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts