BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
10,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Collected my 17X9 M system wheels from my dealership the other day, currently being fitted with 255/40-17 PS2's. Also have the E31 Al. wishbones (with spherical bearings), Touring rear anti roll bar and the related bushings, end links, and engine and gearbox mounts for a future weekend of therapy.

Couple of pics of the goods below, and a gratuitous photo of the fresh cooling system parts in - situ.
:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
I must say Mike the new water reservoir cleans up the engine bay nicely! You are lucky that you are trying out the E31 control arms. I was quick to the gun and just got regular control arms.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Collected my 17X9 M system wheels from my dealership the other day, currently being fitted with 255/40-17 PS2's. Also have the E31 Al. wishbones (with spherical bearings), Touring rear anti roll bar and the related bushings, end links, and engine and gearbox mounts for a future weekend of therapy.

Couple of pics of the goods below, and a gratuitous photo of the fresh cooling system parts in - situ.

Mike Hi !

I too will be doing some front end work very soon.

Went to the main dealer and they too have the E31 arms in stock to my surprise.........so i'll be ordering a set on Monday along with the upper thrust arms, stabilizer bar drop links...front and rear...and rear pitman arms.

I, in conjuncton with you...:)...will be able to supply documented evidence as to the efficacy of these parts...i.e. the E31 aluminum arms.

Believe me, if they last on my car they will last on any car anywhere in the world.....some of our roads are real challenges to suspension components !

I'll share my experience with you once done.

All the best m8.

Cheers

Erik

·
10,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good to hear! I hope to get some of this stuff installed this weekend. Already did my thrust arms and rear pitman arms. Keep us posted of your progress!

Mike Hi !

I too will be doing some front end work very soon.

Went to the main dealer and they too have the E31 arms in stock to my surprise.........so i'll be ordering a set on Monday along with the upper thrust arms, stabilizer bar drop links...front and rear...and rear pitman arms.

I, in conjuncton with you...:)...will be able to supply documented evidence as to the efficacy of these parts...i.e. the E31 aluminum arms.

Believe me, if they last on my car they will last on any car anywhere in the world.....some of our roads are real challenges to suspension components !

I'll share my experience with you once done.

All the best m8.

Cheers

Erik

·
10,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Mike,

If you don't mind me asking, but what are the advantages of the E31 arms?
from what i have read, the actual arms are the same, made out of aluminum like on the e34 m5, but instead of a bushing, there is a spherical bearing, so there should be a bit more precision and less wear over time.

·
Registered
840 Posts
from what i have read, the actual arms are the same, made out of aluminum like on the e34 m5, but instead of a bushing, there is a spherical bearing, so there should be a bit more precision and less wear over time.
Very cool! This is news to me.

Any downsides/sacrifices with the use of spherical bearings?

·
10,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I ask what the dealership charged for the 17x9's?

DCN M5

91 M5
88 911
i have a great relationship with my dealer, and generally get very good prices. I paid about $340 US per wheel. That is approx dealer cost plus 10%.

·
Registered
840 Posts
i have a great relationship with my dealer, and generally get very good prices. I paid about $340 US per wheel. That is approx dealer cost plus 10%.
I'd say you did pretty well!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts