BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone,

Since we are talking about the new M5, I would like it to have some of the features of the MiG 31M.

Read this article and I will explain:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interceptor developed from the Mig-25. Project under designation MiG-25MP initiated in 1972, and first flight (test-pilot A.Fedotov) took place on September 19, 1975. In mass production since 1979, more than 500 MiG-31 and MiG-31B built. Two-seat aircraft has a re-designed lighter airframe (see table). Missile armament was almost doubled with 4 catapult launchable missiles and powerful cannon added.

Steel Titanium alloys Aluminum alloys
MiG-25 80% 8% 11%
MiG-31 50% 16% 33%

The first (and the only at the 1996) mass production interceptor in the world equipped with fixed Pulse-Doppler radar, allowing simultaneous tracking of 10 targets and firing against four of them. An unit of four MiG-31 can link their radars together, to establish a search pattern - covering a width of 800-900km with four aircraft, spaced at 200km. MiG-31 may also serve as an airborne command center to guide fighters with less powerful radar equipment (MiG-23, MiG-29, MiG-21-93).

Landing gear allows to use MiG-31 from unpaved airstrips (is there any other Mach 3 aircraft with such a capability?).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. I would like the new M5 to be built of titanium alloys, as this will make the car lighter (but still very strong) and so will be able to go over 200mph.

2. I would like a phased array pulse doppler radar fitted to the M5(the Mig's one is called 'Flash Dance'). This will enable me to track all law enforcement activity whether it be in the air, ground, or sea. Unlike the radar detectors of todays cars, the Mig's radar has a tracking range of 100-150km, so will give ample warning of any cops. This radar was also designed to detect very low signatures, so will combat any future use of radar absorbing materials on police cars, or stealth cars.

3. The Mig also has active jamming abilities, so the new M5 will be able to scramble any police radars or lasers.

4. The M5 will also be installed with a digitally encoded datalink (the MiG has this to a range of 200km per aircraft, and a total of 800km). This way each car will be able to communicate with other M5's in the area, and pass on any threats (police) in the area to other M5's.

5. The new M5 like the Mig will also have a missile and canon armament. The missiles will be for long range engagement of the enemy. A mix of missiles will ensure the M5 can combat air, sea and land police units. A mix of Infrared (heat seeking) and Radar guilding missiles will give the M5 driver a range of options to engage the police. The canon will be used for short range engagement, and where the target does not justify the use of an expensive missile.

6. If engaging a large enemy formation a M5 should be able to(like the Mig can) act as a command post to help direct the battle against enemy formations.

7. Finally the new M5 should like the Mig require little maintaince and be able to operate from rough semi-prepared conditions (my garage)

Has any one got any other suggestions?

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
If they could install just one of those i'm sure bmw would have a waiting lists sooooo long! Nice work

all the best
Adam

·
Registered
557 Posts
That's a great idea. Very good, we seem to think alike. I've always wanted a weapons system in my car with which to engage the police. Wouldn't it be great if they would actually put out an M5 with some of these design aspects??

On a serious note, two of those things are a possibility and would be really nice.

It would be great if the M5 were constructed of titanium and some of the other exotic alloys that are lighter and stronger than steel and aluminum. The performance figures - top speed, acceleration, and handling would all jump up considerably.

Imagine a titanium or beryllium engine block? The engine block is the single most heavy component of the car, and I imagine that the aluminum block of an M5 must account for 75% of the engine's weight, which I would estimate is around 500 pounds. That would make the block weigh in at 375 pounds. I'd have to go look up the weight of titanium and beryllium, but just imagine that we could shave 100 pounds off the block alone??

Think about the other components as well. Imagine we had forged titanium rims?? They've started using beryllium on bicycles, which is lighter and stronger than steel (but VERY expensive). Just think, we'd have 10 pound rims! Titanium driveshaft, pistons, rods, exhaust, anyone?

I also wouldn't mind a radar system that could simultaneously detect and pinpoint the exact location and distance to the location of a waiting cop car on the roads. Even if there was a situation where you have to run, you would know exactly how far behind you the chase car is, how in front of you the next cop is, and how far away the inevitable chopper is.

Great ideas StevewiththeM5 :thumbsup:

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
errr.. if the M5 used exotic alloys, it would cost like $1 a piece.. sort of like how the McLaren F1 was made entirely from carbon fiber and exotic metals....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Being a Private Pilot (although never having flown a Mig), I love StevewiththeM5's ideas.

If you guys look on page 28 of the new Roundel magazine there is a picture of the new 5 series front end on a 7 series describing an aluminum and steel front structure that significantly reduces suspension load. Maybe they're on the right track.
:cheers:

·
Registered
241 Posts
The new M5 should look a bit radical but elegant and technologically as advanced as the new 7 series. Do we think a coupe version should be available as well?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Isnt the M6 going to be the coupe version of the M5, or atleast i think i heard something about that

·
Registered
356 Posts
M5 and M6

Uhhhh . . . . guys, the M6 is just being revived after a long absence and has always been a two-door coupe. The M5 has always been a four-door saloon. There will never be a M6 four-door or a two-door M5, as what would be the point? They're two different cars !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts