BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off these are just some quick pics, I know they aren't the greatest,I'll take some better ones after the holidays.
Also before any comments I do still need to make a minor adjustment or two with the fit, very minor.
I'm trying to load the pics and I'm haveing a bit of trouble, I'll keep trying...

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still problems with the attachments uploading, I'll try again tomorrow, sorry.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Post some of your splitter if you get a chance.

Thanks. :cheers:

:2:

Keith97M3turbo said:
Still problems with the attachments uploading, I'll try again tomorrow, sorry.

B

·
0 Posts
Quality and fitment look to be good, but I am not a big fan of the design of the hood scoop. Also, by painting carbon fiber, you are in a sense defeating the purpose. In any case, I applaud you for pioneering this look, and hope to see more from e6.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
what is this?

A camaro wannabe?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not my cup of tea, but diversity makes this such a great forum. Congrats on some obvious hard work, and hope you are happy with your results.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Keith - Any idea how much weight was saved? And is the trunk next?!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Im feelin it. I would just prefer the scoop to be body color instead of the carbon. Im also interested in that front splitter. Could you give me some more info on that?
thanks,

josh.

·
10,455 Posts
I'd also like to see the front splitter and rear diffuser. Also let us know about the weight savings, i'm curious. are those scoops functional? (i.e. open, not necessarily connected to anything) THat should help with under hood temps.
Mike

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The scoop sounds like it would reduce the heat build-up pretty well. Isn't that what was discussed ad nauseum on the IATS relocation threads?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm glad to see product diversity, but this design has me a bit mystified.

Why put a scoop on the hood in that direction? Driving air into that scoop just helps to defeat the air coming in from the kidney grills, perhaps creating a static area under the hood someplace. It certainly disrupts the flow of air under the hood from original, but does someone nkow the actual air dynamics going on?

A scoop in the reverse direction would at least allow for the air to flow freely out of the engine compartment faster.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Another nonfunctional hood scoop?, its not a vent to let heat out, more of a ram air hood if you had your air filter right behind it like on USDM muscle cars. I wonder if E6 will chime in to correct me and /or maybe they have actually tested it? However to each their own, and you have a unique look u like is what counts most. What you like on your own car. :2:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm back, thanks to all that gave positive remarks, those that posted with negative and that don't do anything to thier cars you don't need to post just to get your post count up.

I'll try to get to all...
All my pics wouldn't load because they are barely over 1mb, I'll have to change the camera settings for next time.
I did load 16 pics up on the members pics area ("view my car" link ), they are being processed now, keep checking ,I don't know how long it takes for the admins to process.

Mike,Josh,2003M5, there are some splitter pics there to check out.

As for painting the hood, it was a look I had in mind, it is supposed to look stock except for the ducts and a nude scoop.
Could you imagine the RICE remarks if it was left nude...come on now!

Camaro, um yea hilarious! wanna be , I'm rolling hiha :rolleyes:

As for the weight, a whopping 8 pounds before prep and paint, exact saving I don't know I'll have to weight the stocker. As for the m3 when I did it it lost 35-40lbs.
No trunk for the M5, I did that too on the m3 if you remember pics from awhile back.

As for the hood design, what do we have to chose from??? Erubuni junk,
Mashaw (did that on the m3 with custom vents), or E6 (which is new).
Personally I'd done a different design but with the options and no other choice well.....do with what you have....
Instead of polling together and dreaming and getting excited about a hood that might never be and most members would never do to thier cars anyway.
Sure I'd have liked a m3 gtr with vents but it doesn't excist so to judge against it we can't yet.

And the scoops, this is the direction E6 has them. And the air flow speculation,dynamics,what ever ....air comes in it does most likely cools the motor some as for how much no science test yet. Air pockets and flow disruptions, blah blah blah what? Who commonly drives thier cars at speeds
which this is relevant? At what speeds do the splitters, flippers,ducts, wings, ram airs ect do anything enough to REALLY feel or do anything. I seriously doubt anyone can truly FEEL a splitter or diffuser ( as rear diffusers were talked about alittle while ago) at road speeds , it's kinda in comparison with the butt-o-meter feeling.

Well that went longer than expected, gotta run.....................

·
Registered
400 Posts
So basically you just bought it for the looks factor. Why didnt you just say so and leave it at that? I can respect that as much as any other reason for a modification.

As for my question it was a legitimate one. If there's a scoop on a hood it should at least serve a definable function and have some forethought and basis in design. If you dont care to know what that is, thats fine, I however would have liked to know the designers intent and expectations from their design.

As for the splitters and diffusers, I at least know their intended function and understand it, wether i feel it or not, is not the issue.

Sorry you thought my inquiry to be blah blah blah, wont happen again.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Pete said:
So basically you just bought it for the looks factor. Why didnt you just say so and leave it at that?...
Hey Pete - That's not the impression I get from Keith. He always impressed me with his knack for performance 1st, looks 2nd. My guess is he justified the hood for the weight savings alone.

Geez Kees....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts